Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulandsteph_0428 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Felons hunting with muzzleloader
    Can A felon hunt in Arkansas with a blackpowder rifle?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2007, 03:50 PM
    I understand from Arkansas code that..

A felon can not own or possess a firearm in the state of Arkansas unless...

(d) The Governor shall have authority, without
    Granting a pardon, to restore the right of a convicted
    Felon or an adjudicated delinquent to own
    And possess a firearm upon the recommendation
    Of the chief law enforcement officer in the
    Jurisdiction in which the person resides, so long
    As the underlying felony or delinquency adjudication:
    (1) Did not involve the use of a weapon; and
    (2) Occurred more than eight (8) years ago

... the governor basically says it's okay, so I'm guessing no.

If you go to a place where they sell licenses, or if you can find the number for the DNR and call them, they would be able to tell you for sure yes or no, but I'm thinking no.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Yes, a felon can hunt with anything (s)he likes, as long as it's legal to use for hunting whatever game you want to hunt. Now if you're asking whether a felon can lawfully acquire a blackpowder rifle or similar weapon for hunting purposes, the answer is most likely no as most states prohibit felons from purchasing or owning firearms at least for a set amount of time.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 10, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Yes, you can indeed legally purchase a black powder gun in Arkansas as, per the law, muzzleloaders (as they are known) have not been historically classified as firearms. There is no background check that goes along with the purchase of a blackpowder/muzzleloader.

Now, before anyone disagrees with me, my family owns and operates one of the largest gun stores in the State of Tennessee and I worked there for 4 years prior to going back to school.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2007, 04:02 PM
    I can't give you (good) rep again, J-9, but yes, if it's not classified as a firearm, then you can hunt with it.

To be positive about the issue though, and avoid any trouble, I'd suggest you talk to the person you get your hunting license from.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 10, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Blackpowder/muzzleloaders are considered "antique" and are not considered firearms by the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the purchaser is not required to undergo a background check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Future for felons [ 12 Answers ]

I am in my early 20's and have concerns that my felony for drug possession when I was 18 will come back to haunt me in my pursuit of an engineering career. I was wondering if anyone knew how difficult it is for an engineer to be hired with a felony conviction. Should I choose my college major...

Passport for felons [ 2 Answers ]

:) My fiancée and I want to go to mexico for a honeymoon. He is a convicted felon, is their anyway for him to obtain a passport?

Visas for felons [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I plan a trip to Egypt next year. What is the law regarding getting a visa for him? He has a felony record, and no rearrests for the last 6 years. I have been told many things to do, but no one gives me a stright answer. He was not imprisoned for sexual assult or murder or anything...

View more questions Search