Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mktrem Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2006, 09:16 AM
    Brown Water
    Hi,
    I'm seeing brown water from my bathtub facuet (hot only) when I fill my bathtub. It only happens in the tub, though; Not in the shower or sink.
    I saw some other posts that talk about draining the hot water heater, but I don't think that is the issue, because I am not seeing it anywhere else.
    The system is a TurboMax "on demand" system (a separate zone on the heating system).
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 6, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Brown water
    Does the brown water still come out after you've run it for a minute or two?:cool:

Jan 6, 2006, 10:29 AM
    No... it stops after a while.
    But if I need to add some more hot water, it will start again (more briefly than the first time).
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 6, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Brown water
    Let it run for 10 minutes it should be enough to flush the line out.Is this the only faucet with this problem?:cool:
    Martin Harrison Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jan 6, 2006, 11:09 AM
    Brown
    Hi, have you galvanised pipework in the system / leading to the water heater.
    Is it a rust colour.

M

Jan 6, 2006, 11:26 AM
    No gal pipe... all copper.
    Yes... this is the only faucet doing this.
    Yes... rust colored... if I fill a glass with it and let it sit... it all settles on the bottom.
    I don't think it is the faucet rusting. It doesn't happen on the cold side, and the bathroom is on the second floor. Hot water system in the basement and it takes half a minute or so before the brown appears.
    I know... it doesn't make sense... If the heater is the source, why not any of the other 7 faucets in between then? This is my puzzle.

Jan 6, 2006, 11:30 AM
    What sort of time span are we talking about is it 10 seconds or 30 seconds, or more?
    Is it worse if its not been used all day.
    m

Sorry I mean what is the duration of the brown flow.
    M

Jan 6, 2006, 12:25 PM
    Probably 40 or 45 seconds or so.
    Also, since it is separate from the shower, the tub is not frequently used often. Two or three times a month is normal.

Jan 6, 2006, 12:30 PM
    Brn
    It still sounds to me as if there is an iron fitting being used somewhere along the line. When the tap is not used the iron oxide builds up and when it is used it flushes the deposits away.
    M
    mschultzmusic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2006, 11:07 AM
    I may have a similar issue. I have two bathtubs upstairs. This morning, one of the tubs filled up with a brownish water. The other tub filled without discoloration and the tub in question filled just fine last night. Any thoughts about this? Is it something to be concrned about? Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water is brown! Help! [ 24 Answers ]

Hi, This past weekend we flushed out our Hot Water Heater (Electric-Rheems). There was all sorts of crud in there, we got a bunch of sand out of it and some other stuff. We followed the directions from the Rheems site for draining the hot water heater. The problem now is our hot water has a...

Brown hot water [ 1 Answers ]

The hot water coming out of my faucets is brown. I drained the hot water heater, letting it refill a few times between drainings but it s still brown. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Brown smelly water backing up in tub... [ 1 Answers ]

This evening when my wife was washing her face in the bathroom sink she noticed that brown smelly water was coming up through the tub drain. This only occurred when she was running the hot water and would slowly drain after the hot water was turned off. Although our tub has always drained slowly...

Brown water [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a housing complex. Sometimes our water runs out of the bath tub or the sink brown. Can someone tell me what this means. Is it unhealthy for us to use the water? Is there some action that I should take? Is there something I can do to make it stop running brown? Thanks, Lisa

Brown Water [ 3 Answers ]

My warm water was brown and I flushed the water heater twice already - it stays clean for 3 days then it turns brown again. (It is a natural gas waterheater.) Any ideas on what I should do. Thank you

View more questions Search