Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    htrod68 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Honda Accord Sunroof Malfunction
    Sunroof malfunction - 1991 Accord EX. The sunroof stopped sliding back. When tbe open/close button is pushed you can hear the motor but all the roof will do is start to open/tilt. It will close. The sunroof cannot be opened manually. Thoughts?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 3, 2007, 05:59 AM
    It sounds like something in the track is causing a binding in one direction. Can you get a flashlight in there and inspect both side of the track to look for loose or possibly broken components? The headliner will have to be pulled down slightly to get a good look.

Nov 3, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Without taking the headliner loose, it appears from the top that one side of the sunroof may be binding on the roof itself as it tries to slide back. Should I attempt to take the sunroof off to check the tracks? If so, what's involved? Thanks for replying and for the assistance!
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Either the track has come loose or is broken, or the "finger" that rides in the track has broken off. Removing the glass is not too difficult but you may want to arrange for replacement parts to be on hand before you open this can of worms.

Name:  aa.gif
Views: 15131
Size:  36.6 KB

Glass and Sunshade Replacement

1. Open the glass fully.
    2. To remove the glass, first remove:
    O Rail holder cover
    O Rail cover
    O Sunshade rail holder
    O Deflector
    O Link stopper
    O Lift-up guide
    3. Slide the glass forward using the moonroof wrench, then remove the front sliders from the sunshade rails. NOTE: Do not scratch the roof panel with the front slider.
    4. Lift the sunshade rail with the guide rail and insert a space such as a wooden block to prevent interference between the sunshade rail and bolt.
    5. Remove the link slider from the inner cable sliders by lifting the glass, then remove the glass.
    6. Slide the sunshade forward, then remove the sunshade. Eliminate this step if you're not removing the shade, just the glass.
    7. Install the glass and sunshade in the reverse order of removal~ NOTE :

O Take care not to pinch the drain seal in the sunshade rail.
    O Check for water leaks.

Nov 4, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Captain Rich.. you helped solve the problem. Sunroof was apparently binding on the deflector. I finally got the sunroof open manually afte about 30 minutes of wiggling, jiggling, etc. I 've cleaned all the tracks, etc. and WD-40ed the tracks and other moving parts. Seems to work fine at last attempt. Thanks again for your help and for the great exploded view of the sunroof parts, etc. Htrod68<---Happy Honda Owner Once Again
    ashleyfritz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2011, 10:47 PM
    My 2003 Honda Accord EX sunroof won't open. Honda dealer says fuses o.k. and motor o.k. Possible short in wires and needs to have car for the day to find problem. What could be the problem?
    harshana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2012, 03:14 AM
    I need this sunroof glass how I can by that sunroof please help me my email is [email protected] from srilanka
    harshana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2012, 03:15 AM
    I need honda civic 1989 sunroof glass or glass beading how I can by that sunroof please help me my email is [email protected] from srilanka

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home & Garden [ 3 Answers ]

I had an iron to trip a breaker,I reset the 20 AMP single pole breaker and checked the gfi still have no power to the bedroom and second bathroom checked all of the breakers and They read 122 volts what is next ?

Home and garden [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a manahtee- mailbox at a reasonable price.

Garden Tub Faucet - Home of Legend mobile home [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My sister has a leaky garden tub faucet. We can't determine how to access under the faucet. There is no access door. A closet is behind the faucet. When we remove the wallboard, we find the distance from the opening to the faucet too far away to access. Can you help? Thanks, Mary

Home and garden [ 1 Answers ]

I have a weedeater 12.5 lawn tractor, the mower starts and runs until I take my foot off the clutch.When I take my foot off the clutch the mower stalls. Just changed the belt, blades and battery.Can some one tell me what the problem is. Thanks

View more questions Search