Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rezasartipi Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 08:35 PM
    I got hit and have no license but do have Insurance
    Hello, I was in a parking lot driving through and another car was entering into the parking lot and she clipped my passenger side bumber and cracked my bumber and scratched it all up. Her license plate ripped off and had some scratches on her front bumber. She apoligised and gave me all her info and we were on our ways. Next day her dad calls and says he wants to file a claim because we were both at fault since his daughter said I was speeding and that's why she hit my rear. ANyone have any clue on what's going to happen here??
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Aug 23, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezasartipi
    Hello, I was in a parking lot driving through and another car was entering into the parking lot and she clipped my passenger side bumber and cracked my bumber and scratched it all up. Her license plate ripped off and had some scratches on her front bumber. She apoligised and gave me all her info and we were on our ways. Next day her dad calls and says he wants to file a claim because we were both at fault since his daughter said i was speeding and thats why she hit my rear. ANyone have any clue on whats going to happen here????
    Yah, you're about to learn why it is so much cheaper to have liability than to not have them. What I'm picking up is that you are either underage or an illegal alien. You are in a pretty weak position here - what will help here is that the thing happened on private property and not a public road so you'll avoid a ticket. However her insurance company will probably fix her car and come after you for the money. You'll pay sooner or later in some form or another. Best see if you can cut a deal with her Dad and drop the claim.
    Good luck. Get some liability.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2007, 08:50 PM
    Yes, you are going to notify your insurance company and let them handle it.

And learn a lesson on always calling the police to an accident ( esp if you are the not guilty party.)
    Now is it your word against hers, most likely that is what the insurance companies will settle on.

Aug 23, 2007, 09:06 PM
    Thank you guys for your quick response. Im not underage or an alien I had my license suspended 3yrs ago but was still renewing my insurance every year. Yes my claim adjuster said its going to be my word against hers but he already thinks her story is iffy because it didn't make sense. Is this going to get to the police and ruin my chances of getting my licence back sooner than expected?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Most likely the police will not even make a report, since they did not go to the scene to investigate, At most they can take statement.
    Remember the father can not do anything, the driver has to, and most likely this was a threat to try and get you to pay them money or to not try and make them pay for your repair. Expect the other person to threaten and lie.

Aug 23, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Thank you Chuck... She is only 17 yrs old and on her fathers insurance. He said that he wants to file a claim and let the insurance figure out who is lying because that's their job. Do you think the insurance is going to find out I have a suspended licence and kick me off my plan?
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Aug 23, 2007, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezasartipi
    Thank you Chuck... She is only 17 yrs old and on her fathers insurance. He said that he wants to file a claim and let the insurance figure out who is lying because thats their job. Do you think the insurance is going to find out i have a suspended licence and kick me off my plan??
    Mom gets to carry the kid for 9 months, Dad carries them for at least the next 25 or 26 years.
    Any butt can afford a BMW but it's the kids that are the expensive things in life as you never know what expenses are going to come up.

Why do I say this? If Dad files, then Dad's car insurance goes up and not for just a quarter. Allstate used to be famous or infamous as the case may be for cancelling the first time you called up with a claim. Dad is probably leveraging you to pay for the damages so he doesn't have to report it unless he has the bucks to burn on his insurance plan.
    The tip-off is that he is wanting to stay the 'good-guy' and let the insurance company be the 'bad guy.'

Will the insurance company find you out? In a heartbeat.

So you are going to have to pony up, go into adult-to-adult mode and step into negotiator's shoes. 'Mr Dad, we both know if we can settle this between ourselves the less hassle and expense there will be for you, your daughter and myself. And another hassle is what we like to avoid, and that's the truth. And dealing with even the best of insurance companies is a hassle. In the interest of fairness, no one was injured, it was on private property and I would bet that what you want is to get your car fixed and back on the road asap, and without you having to pay out of your own pocket for it. Even better, if no claim with your daughters name on it. Isn't that what we both want? Get your car fixed and on with our lives? Am I correct on this? It's what I would want, getting my car fixed and parting as friends as these things just happen in life. Does that make sense? Is this what you ultimately want - after all, you are teaching your daughter how to handle these kind of situations with grace and ease in the future. Let's show her how it is done well.

So deal is, what's in it for Dad and what's in for you as the other driver. Acknowledge and approach the deal as adult-to-adult as that gets things done. Above all, keep your cool. Accept in your heart that your stupidity in driving with a suspended license has cost you once again and go on and get on with it. As Paula Poundstone observed, 'Once you accept that you are going to get a ticket then you can park anywhere you like' - it's the accpetance of consequences that will help you through it.

Best of luck.

Pleaase rate.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 23, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Please don't drive without a license. It's against the law.

Nov 3, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Well guys everything worked out in my favor. The other driver was found at fault and I got my car fixed by them.
    mousidd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2009, 03:38 AM
    Wonderful! Sometimes life gives you more than a second chance. Glad everything worked out for you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car insurance without US license [ 1 Answers ]

I am moving to California and would like to get an insurance for my sts-v cad? I don't have a US license yet, only european. I would like to get an insurance but don't know where to find a policy with european/international licence. Thanks!

Car collision:vehicle I hit has no insurance [ 3 Answers ]

The car that I hit was parked behind my vehicle.She wasn't parked directly but her left headlight was toward the center of my rear end . There is nearly no visible damage to my car but rather "scuff marks" on my tire. Her drivers side door at the front of her car has a small visible dent. I am...

Teen, 16, hit a parked car/no license [ 6 Answers ]

My best friend, 16, who I'd do anything for, went to get some food one day but hit a parked car as he was pulling in to park. The car he hit was a brand new toyota tocoma, which the guy bought last week. He was an off duty cop! My best friend was a total mess, crying and panicking because it was a...

Auto Collision with no license or insurance [ 10 Answers ]

I have not had a license or insurance for many years. I was suspended in my late teens, and to stay out of trouble just don't drive while paying off the fines I racked up. I do own a car that my girlfriend likes to drive, a 99 Cadillac STS, and often drive it around the block to shuffle...

UK drivers license to US license (but with conviction) [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the UK and I recently crashed my dad's car (without a license nor insurance). I am going to get my full license soon, but the motoring department in the UK have said that I WILL have a conviction on it (obvisouly, for crashing, driving without license/insurance, seatbelts, etc). I am...

View more questions Search