Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Paula1015 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 08:30 PM
    HELP! After new washing machine installed, drain pipe overflows!
    Just bought Maytag, top load washer. After the wash cycle, as the water is draining, the water will come back over the drain pipe and over flow onto the floor. HOWEVER, it doesn't do this every time. Sometimes it will drain after the wash and not overflow, but then after the rinse cycle, as the water is draining out into the drain, the water comes back and overflows the drain pipe.
    This is so frustrating! Is it my washer? Is it my pipes? We have used a snake 3 times, and plenty of Draino!! Please help! :eek:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 13, 2006, 05:59 AM
    This is not a new problem for us. And surprise! A Maytag washer was the culprit. This lady bought a Maytag washer that overflowed every time she washed. She had a older 1 1/2" washer trap and stand pipe and the new washers pump was just too powerful for her system. After much checking Maytag finally replaced the washer with one that had a smaller pump. Your situation might be the same as hers. It's something to look into. Let me show you her last post.

Momtoafew
    Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2005

Yes, I think Maytag has a defective product

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just checking in... here I am with about 3 months of using my new Kenmore Elite Washer and NO PROBLEMS! Maytag gave me a full refund and dragged my old washer away. I went right to the top to get my refund and sent a letter to the CEO (or maybe CFO?) his name was Ralph? Obviously they knew something was wrong with this model of the Maytag SAV series! If people are also having problems, I would recommend them calling Maytag's Corporate offices directly like I did and not to really deal with the store they purchased it from, as they're going to send service people to your home for many tries to figure out the problem! Anyway, glad my post helped some with their maytag problems too! After much research, it is my conclusion that the maytag just puts out way too much water in the rinse cycle. Talking to a sears rep, she told me that my Kenmore only puts out about 16 gallons in the rinse cycle and that's more than enough. Maytag put out about 25+ gallons, and homes just can't take it! I think the Maytag I bought was more for commercial grade type businesses, and that wasn't told to me when I purchased it. All in all I'm OK with maytag because they gave me my money back, but when I bought my new dryer last week, I didn't buy the maytag... I bought a Kenmore!

Good luck and keep us informed, Tom
    Momtoafew Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    This is not a new problem for us. And suprise!! A Maytag washer was the culprit. This lady bought a Maytag washer that overflowed every time she washed. She had a older 1 1/2" washer trap and stand pipe and the new washers pump was just too powerful for her system. After much checking Maytag finally replaced the washer with one that had a smaller pump. Your situation might be the same as hers. It's something to look into. Let me show you her last post.

Momtoafew
    Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2005

Yes, I think Maytag has a defective product

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just checking in.... here I am with about 3 months of using my new Kenmore Elite Washer and NO PROBLEMS!! Maytag gave me a full refund and dragged my old washer away. I went right to the top to get my refund and sent a letter to the CEO (or maybe CFO?) his name was Ralph?? Obviously they knew something was wrong with this model of the Maytag SAV series! If people are also having problems, I would recommend them calling Maytag's Corporate offices directly like I did and not to really deal with the store they purchased it from, as they're going to send service people to your home for many tries to figure out the problem! Anyway, glad my post helped some with their maytag problems too! After much research, it is my conclusion that the maytag just puts out way too much water in the rinse cycle. Talking to a sears rep, she told me that my Kenmore only puts out about 16 gallons in the rinse cycle and that's more than enough. Maytag put out about 25+ gallons, and homes just can't take it! I think the Maytag I bought was more for commercial grade type businesses, and that wasn't told to me when I purchased it. All in all I'm ok with maytag because they gave me my money back, but when I bought my new dryer last week, I didn't buy the maytag.... I bought a Kenmore!

Good luck and keep us informed, Tom
    Just an update... no maytag didn't provide me with a new washer or a new pump, they credited me a full amount of $426 and then I bought a Kenmore Elite which works great and doesn't have a commercial use pump which I believe to be what the problem was with the SAV Maytag series. It was just too too powerful for household use and thus caused suds backups.
    jakesdaddy Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 01:28 PM
    I have a Kenmore washer and have the same problem of water backing up in the drain pipe. We inherited this washer from my wife's parents, so we don't have any recourse for a refund. Do you think that Sears fix it for little or no cost? It seems that it drains too quickly and thus the overflow. Is there any thing else that can be done? Could I add on to the drain hose to possibly slow the flow down? Who could I contact? Any help is appreciated. THANKS
    catgita Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 08:32 AM
    I had the same problem in my older home, which had a crusty 1.5" drain and standpipe in the garage. My washer also overflowed sometimes. Replacing the drain would involve a jackhammer, so that was out. My plumber installed a 3" PVC standpipe, connecting it above the existing trap. This added enough surge capacity to prevent the overflow. The housecall cost $50, but it was worth it for the great idea!
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 3, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by catgita
    I had the same problem in my older home, which had a crusty 1.5" drain and standpipe in the garage. My washer also overflowed sometimes. Replacing the drain would involve a jackhammer, so that was out. My plumber installed a 3" PVC standpipe, connecting it above the existing trap. This added enough surge capacity to prevent the overflow. The housecall cost $50, but it was worth it for the great idea!
    Another inexpensive option is to install a compression fitting,(see image) on the stand pipe and make it a closed system. I've had one on my 1 1/2" stand pipe for years with no problems and in all the times I've recommended installing one on a standpipe that backs up I have never had a complaint. Good luck, Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2007, 10:46 AM
    I once had the same problem. I put a piece of PCV (it was either 3/4 or 1 inch... don't remember) into the drain hose and used a pipe clamp to hold it. That constricted the drain size and reduced the volume. It did help. OF course I'm not sure if that is good for the pump or not. Some of you may have an idea on that.
    catgita Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Another inexpensive option is to install a compression fitting,(see image) on the stand pipe and make it a closed system. I've had one on my 1 1/2" stand pipe for years with no problems and in all the times I've recommended installing one on a standpipe that backs up I have never had a complaint. good luck, Tom
    If you have ever had your drains back up into your standpipe, you might think twice, else you risk all that backflow into your washing machine.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 3, 2007, 12:11 PM
    If you have ever had your drains back up into your standpipe, you might think twice, else you risk all that backflow into your washing machine.
    If you have that kind of head pressure on a blockage the drain that overflowed wouldn't be a 36 inch stand pipe. It would be a lower fixture such as a floor drain,tub or shower. I repeat:
    I've had one on my 1 1/2" stand pipe for years with no problems and in all the times I've recommended installing one on a standpipe that backs up I have never had a complaint.
    Even with a partial clog the pressure produced by a washer pump in a closed system will force the discharge past the clog. This works!! Regards, Tom
    twisterbret Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 08:54 AM
    From the very moment the big box store dropped off my Maytag washer and hooked it up, it was backfiring water out the pipe. The pipe in the wall is the stand pipe? Boy they ran off pretty fast. What I did was add more pipe to allow to drain and not backfire. It's not pretty but it worked. I had to play around with diff lenghts . This was as short as I could get it.

http://www.coasterreview.com/twister...ight=544&mode=

http://www.coasterreview.com/twister...ight=483&mode=

Is my plumbing wrong in the wall to not allow the water to drain fast enough or is this washer just crazy when draining? My old washer was fine.

Could you please give more details on the compression fitting option? The black hose coming off my washer is not water tight. It as grooves to allow air. I'm not sure it would work with a compression ring? Do you have a picture of your setup?

I'm also interested in trying to slow the water by inserting a smaller PVC pipe within the washer hose. My hose looks pretty narrow on both ends I'm not sure if that answer would work.

Thanks!

twisterbret

Another inexpensive option is to install a compression fitting,(see image) on the stand pipe and make it a closed system. I've had one on my 1 1/2" stand pipe for years with no problems and in all the times I've recommended installing one on a standpipe that backs up I have never had a complaint. good luck, Tom
    jonsullivan73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2012, 10:25 AM
    Run the drain pipe into an accumulator tank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine Overflows [ 4 Answers ]

My washing machine, Kenmore model # 110.49722991 (apartment size) doesn't sense how much water is in the tub and will continue to fill until it overflows. Twice now I have flooded my apartment with 2" of water. I don't think I will try for three. :eek: Can it be fixed or should I just get another....

Washing Machine Drain Pipe clogged [ 3 Answers ]

I have a drain pipe for a washing machine that is clogged. We have tried using a garden hose with a bladder that causes it to shoot high powered water down the pipe but to no avail. Also we tried the sulferic acid concentrate with no luck. Right now we have the drain hose just hanging inside the...

Maytag washer: drain pipe overflows during rinse cycle HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: I have a new Maytag washer. (top load). During the drain cycle I hear the water pumping out but then the water comes back and will overflow at the top of the pipe and on the floor. The old washer did not have this problem. We used a snake, draino etc etc. in the pipe. Sometimes it will NOT...

Installing Basement Shower Drain with Washing Machine Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks: I would like to install a shower that drains into the same drain as my washing machine. Right now the washing machine drain, 1-1/2" ABS, comes in horizontally about 12" above the concrete floor into a 1-1/2" Tee on a vertical pipe. From this Tee, the vent goes straight up to the...

Downstairs toilet overflows when dishwasher or washing machine is emptying [ 2 Answers ]

When dishwasher and/or washing machine is emptying the downstairs toilet overflows. There is sometimes a bubbling or gurgling sound. Sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. We do have a septic tank, about 5 years old. There is no sewage involved in the overflow just the wash waste waster. A few...

View more questions Search