Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjcrawl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 04:28 PM
    3A fuse blowing after furnace ignites
    'Working on a 10-yr old Goodman GMP050-3. A/C is okay, but no heat. Circuit board and ignitor were just replaced and the flame sensor has been cleaned.

The unit comes on, status light solid, ignitor glows, gas comes on and ignites, but after 2-3 seconds the 3A fuse on the board blows.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 1, 2007, 05:46 PM
    I hate to say this but the circuit board could still be bad. Look at all the wiring that goes to the board for any wear area an make sure none of the components on the back side of the board are shorting out when it was installed. Usually the fuse blows when there is a problem with thermostat wiring or another component that is attached to the board.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 06:34 PM
    The next time you put in a new fuse use a 5 amp fuse, sometimes The coil in the gas valve plus any other coil that might be using amperage could add up to just a bit more than the 3 amp fuse can handle. Are you using an air cleaner or anything that could use more amps.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 06:47 PM
    If the coil on the gas valve is going bad it will do the same thing. One thing you can do is check the amp draw of the valve when it comes on. If the amps start to climb above the amp rating of the fuse you may have a bad gas valve. You can disconnect one wire on the valve and call for heat if the ignitor glows and then goes out and tries again with out blowing the low voltage fuse. The problem is in the gas valve
    tjcrawl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2007, 07:47 AM
    With the gas valve disconnected the ingitor will glow, then stop, then glow again. The gas valve does seem to make a buzzing noise before blowing the fuse. So the gas valve is bad? Any chance the limit switch is bad? (Because I'd want to replace it at the same time since it's conveniently located right behind the gas valve.)
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 08:07 PM
    Sounds like the coil is shorted inside the gas valve. The only thing you can do is replace it. If the limit switch was bad the hot surface ignitor would not get power to glow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New thermostat, Furnace ignites fire but no heat [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My furnace and thermostat was working fine until two weeks ago. So I replaced the thermostat and the heat started working for the first day then it stopped. I tried to turn up the degrees on the thermostat and I checked the furnace. The electric ignitor was working fine and there was fire...

Fuse keep blowing [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure what is happening, We have two units the upstairs is running just fine. Now the downstairs keep blowing the fuse in the furnace. What it does is that it will let the fan run but when I reduce the temp. so the a/c will come on it blow the fuse. Thanks, George

A/C keeps blowing fuse [ 11 Answers ]

I had an earlier post about neither the furnace or a/c working... well the problem was a blown fuse, and I have no idea why I didn't find it earlier. Anyway, I replaced the fuse and the furnace heat now works, but when I go to the a/c, the fuse blows every time. My furnace takes a little 5 amp buss...

Keep blowing fuse [ 1 Answers ]

1998 Dodge Ram, been sitting for about a week, went to turn on windshield wipers and they didn't work. Check the fuse and it was blown. Changed fuse and as soon as I put it in the fuse blows. Did this several times and no luck. ANY IDEAS! THANKS,

Fuse in furnace blowing [ 4 Answers ]

My buddy has a payne heat pump system with a payne air handler and every time the heat is turned on at the termostat the fuse blows in the air handler cabinet. The fuse will not blow if emergency heat is turned on or the a/c what is the problem here? I have been working in hvac for six years but...

View more questions Search