Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Honeyshay Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2006, 08:16 PM
    Does an inexpensive southern beach community exist?
    We are hoping to relocate to a location in one of the southern states that is near the ocean, has a quaint charm (like a walkable main street) and doesn't cost a fortune.
    After we do retire - we will possibly be able to afford approximately 250$ tops. Is there a place with these features? Can't seem to find information for any communities advertised under 400K
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 6, 2006, 08:29 PM
    This area is still pretty affordable (east coast of Florida south of Daytona Beach and north of Vero Beach) but there is a measurable movement off the barrier islands here having learned some potent lessons about hurricanes in these last couple of years. Is it that high on your list that it be oceanview? Are you prepared for the hassle and heartache that comes with that?

Although you didn't really ask, I would advise that you consider living on the mainland or along the Intracoastal river instead and make the short drive to the beach when the mood strikes you. Florida does a small town very nicely, in my humble opnion. ;)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 7, 2006, 11:54 AM
    Have you looked into the Florida panhandle?
    Honeyshay Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2006, 02:01 PM
    I have traveled to the east coast and have been in the Vero Beach area. Can you name some towns that are affordable with a walkable main street (possibly inland - 5 to 6 miles)
    I have never been to the Panhandle, but would love to research some towns if I had some names. Can you guys oblige? As snobby as this may sound, we are Starbucks kind of people... any ideas?
    Thanks
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Feb 26, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeyshay
    We are hoping to relocate to a location in one of the southern states that is near the ocean, has a quaint charm (like a walkable main street) and doesn't cost a fortune.
    After we do retire - we will possibly be able to afford aproximately 250$ tops. Is there a place with these features? Can't seem to find information for any communities advertised under 400K
    You can pick up a fixer upper on the Gulf Coast for next to nothing.
    Miss Katie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 01:24 PM
    You really should look into Wilmington NC. I personally have never been, but my boyfriend rants & raves about it. I live in Charlotte NC, and will be taking a trip there soon. From what I can tell they have an old historic downtown, and as long as you are not looking to work, it seems like a lovely area (small job market). Just a suggestion if you don't want to move to a very busy place.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 2, 2007, 07:39 PM
    Also check out Savannah, Georgia and Charleston, South Carolina. More charm than you can shake a stick at. Smaller communities that are quite charming are Beaufort North Carolina and Beaufort South Carolina. You can check out real estate prices online in all the places mentioned. You might want to check out real estate prices in some of the smaller beach communities in the Carolinas, too. Outer Banks and the various islands will be pricey.

On the FL panhandle, I visited a friend in Tallahassee and he took me down to Apalachicola. Very nice area. We stopped for a drink in an old hotel there, and it was straight out of the Caribbean. I expected to see Humphrey Bogart coming around the corner. :-)

Vasily
    MoMaroc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Hi. I currently live in the Outer Banks. There are some affordable places here in Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, or southern Nags Head. Since we are between the sound and the ocean, you can enjoy the best of both sides. Nags Head Cove is a good place to start. Also Wilmington, N.C. is very affordable. Carolina Beach is a little more secluded and less touristy, but you are probably going to get that wherever you go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does random exist [ 48 Answers ]

Hello, I was just wondering if random exists within physics. If not, if there's only one way something can happen depending on how it happens, and future events are determined by present and past events.. then surely the future can't be controlled.. it could only happen that one way. Is choice...

Coastal Vacation in Southern Georgia [ 10 Answers ]

My family (5-8 people) is looking a great location for our summer of 2006 vacation... We love the beach and would appriciate any information that would give us information about desirable places... Thank You!

Southern California Ballooning [ 0 Answers ]

I just got back from vacationing in San Diego and had a wonderful time. I went on a hot air balloon and was so impressed with where I went that I figured I would post it as an option in case anyone had questions about balloon rides, the history of it, or even if they just want to see some pictures....

Redondo Beach California Real Estate [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to buy a house in the near future, although I don't know if I should wait until the real estate bubble bursts. Should I rent now and wait for prices to come down or should I buy now? Thanks.

View more questions Search