Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Onegoodmommy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Heat Pump-warm downstairs, cold upstairs
    :confused: We moved in to our home in July and are beginning to run the heat. We noticed in the summer that it was much cooler upstairs than downstairs (very unusual, we thought)and the complete opposite in cold weather. When the heater is on downstairs, we can feel very warm air blowing from the vents and it holds the temp. we set it on... however upstairs, it feels cool when blowing, though it is actually a few degrees warmer than the room. Why the difference? The upstairs also runs continually in the evening when the temps outside are in the 40's & 50's, barely keeping the temperature up where the downstairs will come on and go off as it regulates the temp. The upstairs is obviously having trouble somewhere. We've changed the filters and the attic is insulated. Somewhere online I read something about copper pipes outside needing to be hot so I went out to the unit while the upstairs was running to see what they felt like. There are two and they were both cold. Thank you for any suggestions!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 30, 2007, 04:13 PM
    You need to have your duct work balanced. Sometimes the smaller runs will have dampers you can adjust.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No cold water upstairs, OK downstairs. Hot OK everywhere [ 3 Answers ]

Hi this is my first time on this board. Hello. The above title is pretty explanatory, happened in my home today. Why should this be? I have run the cold tap downstairs to see if it will run dry but it is fine. Hot OK too. Happened this morning. Thames water have no cut offs. Any takers?

Furnace heating upstairs, but blowing cold air downstairs [ 1 Answers ]

My records indicate that I have a Inter-City Products gas fired horizontal heating unit, model NHGE050CF01. The issue I am having is that the upstairs is heating as it should. The down stairs is blowing cold air. I have turned the thermostat down to the coldest setting and waiting 5 minutes...

Central Heat/blows cold air in unit downstairs [ 1 Answers ]

\ Our heating unit (central) is blowing cold air. This is only occurring in downstairs unit. There are 2 separate units in the home. Any ideas on what to do before calling an expert? The HVAC unit is all electric. It is set to Auto. We had problems with the A/C where you gad to set the...

Upstairs too hot, downstairs too cold [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2-story house built in 1949 that has a forced air heating and air conditioning system. Of the 4 rooms upstairs, the 2 largest ones do not get cool enough. At the same time, the first floor is plenty cool and the basement is frigid. What is the most cost-effective and simple way to...

View more questions Search