Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kashmiri Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 06:11 PM
    Frigidaire dryer- broken knob, won't turn on
    The plastic on knob fell off along with a small black metal piece as well. It looks like the black piece holds the plastic knob to the stem, but I'm not certain. Now, with no knob, the dryer won't turn on. It won't work even with plyers turning the stem. How do I go about fixing this? Is this difficult to diagnos? I'd greatly appreciate ANY feedback!!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Type your model # at www3.sears.com and see what parts are available.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 23, 2007, 08:11 PM
    It didn't just fall of, it broke off and chances are good that you will need the entire timer. KISS gave you the right address so go for it.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2007, 09:57 AM
    ballenger:

Have you noticed that the sears site has problems, probably by design? Sometimes when you look up a model and get no longer available, if you type in the part number you'll get multiple nearly identical responses but different descriptions: One could say Key, Hydro 3/16 x 3/4 and the other Hydro key. One will be available and the other will not.

Similarly, the website doesn't tap aftermarket parts sources, so an ignitor may not be available on the Sears site, but will be available elsewhere.

Printing out a parts breakdown page isn't easy either. Oh well. It's a nice site.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 24, 2007, 10:42 AM
    KISS, you are correct about Sears. I'm so frustrated with their site I have to drive to a local Sears repair store to order an ignition coil for my tractor. When I logged on and gave the model number it did take me to a tractor but their word search says there is no such thing as an ignition coil. It would be an even nicer site if it worked.
    DMengel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2010, 08:02 AM
    I had the same problem. Although I get free knobs from the appliance store, that was not satisfactory. Knobs should not break in less than a year of normal use. Frigidaire's design, manufacture and quality control of their knobs is severely flawed.

So, this is what you do. You are going to improve Frigidaire's knob by filling in the void around the knob stem with epoxy. Take another knob off a switch you do not use - e.g. the signal switch. Buy a tube of epoxy. Put the knob in a vise or have another means to keep it from moving and kepp it level. Mix up enough epoxy to fill the interior void around the white stem, that as the black metal liner in it. Be sure you fill the knob to the top of the stem.

After it cures, you have a solid knob, that will last for a very long time.

Frigidaire should take note, but all they know is how to foist an obviously flawed part design off on to the consumer to fix.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roper Electric dryer not heating/knob won't turn [ 4 Answers ]

My 5 year old roper dryer (model: REX4634KQ1) is turning, but not heating and the knob won't turn. Wondering what this may be? All of the lint is cleared out and everything else works fine. Both of these problems happened at the same time. Related or not related? :confused:

Frigidaire dryer will not turn on [ 4 Answers ]

I opened my dryer to stop it and several hours later when I tried to start it again it will not start. Turning the start knob makes a very quiet click. Have checked all power to the dryer avenues, nothing wrong there. Any suggestions?

Roper dryer not heating and settings knob not turning [ 1 Answers ]

I have a roper dryer and it has stopped drying. I have taken the back off and tested the continuity on the element and on the 2 thermostats on the element housing and they all have continuity. I have noticed that when I run the dryer that the settings knob does not turn it stays in the same spot ...

Broken Shower Knob [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had a shower knob break and can not find a replacement knob that fits. I've been to Lowe's and Home Depot and the knobs I buy won't fit. It's not the knob itself that doesn't fit. It's the pipe that grabs the knob is too big and won't insert. The house is a 1970s house and I need to...

View more questions Search