Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Oct 23, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Why is it so hard to leave him? Why are women like this?
    I try not to post on here because I usually get answers through reading other people's posts. But I am hurting so much and I need a way to get through the pain.
    I've been with him for seven years. Had a few months of a break over a year ago, but got back together because it was too difficult to be apart. Or so I thought. I don't know why he wanted to be back with me. We have two children together. A beautiful house. He is only home one day a week. I know he is abusive, I know he cheats, and because of all this he hates me. Why I don't know and that kills me. Why do I stay with him? Why am I so scared to leave him. Everyday I cry. I am a very good woman to him and I stand up to him when need be. But that doesn't help. It just gives him another excuse to leave and not come home for the night. He swears he's not cheating, but I'm sorry, you don't' spend Tuesday through Sunday at your boys' apartment sleeping on the couch. I can't ever get ahold of him, he doesn't try to get ahold of me.Even when I try the no contact thing, he accuses me of seeing someone else. I am always at home with the kids. Sometimes when I try to make love to him, he says "I guess I'm just getting old". He is 29, I'm 26.
    I tried. I tried to leave him one time and there was this overbearing sadness and pain in my chest, it literally made me sick-so I couldn't do it. It ended up I begged him to stay. He didn't chase after me when I threatened to leave. I chased after him. THAT IS SICK! What is wrong with me? I have a great job, I am a beautiful woman. Why don't I have enough self esteem to leave this guy? I need some encouragement, I have gotten it here before, but I need it again. I don't want to waste anyone's time though some of you may feel that way, but I just need some suggestions of how to start feeling better again, because I can't take this anymore. I don't want to be sad for the rest of my life, but I feel like I'm in a lose-lose situation. If I leave him, I'll be sad, If I stay I'll be sad.
    Why does he stay with me? If he is sleeping with others, and never around me or his kids, why doesn't he leave me? The day he does come home, he expects me to be happy and have a good time, and I try, but inside I am screaming wondering why, what, where, and who has he done. What has he been doing? And if it is nothing as he claims, Why can't he tell me why, where and what he has been doing.
    Please, if there is anyone who can give me suggestions on how to feel better. I just can't take it anymore.
    Thanks much,

T
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Oct 23, 2007, 08:33 AM
    I think the reason lots of women stay is they are afraid of the unknown. And that fear keeps us in relationships we know are no good. This week is my one year since I left. I am in a good place. It took a long time for me to get here . I like you put up with his cheating. (he also spent a lot of overnights with his pals.Using the excuse of not wantng to drive after drinking. )

Go to your family and friends for the emotional support you need. You are worth more than this. Take agood look at your life,then add ten years .Don't you think you deserve more.And your kids need more .

He stays because you let him. He knows you will always be there.The best thing you can do is get on with your life. It is hard to walk away but sometimes that is the only way. You can not change him . And leopards do not change there spots. He has had seven years to change.
    You said you have a good job,and you are a beautiful woman so start there.If this was your friend asking for advice would you tell her to stay an take scraps. I don't think so.

I moved out and on. It was hard at first not to call but my friends and family talked me through those days. You need to take one day at a time.

Look at your own life is this what you want ,if not you need to take action for yourself. List out the things in life you want for you and your children. Use this list to build your resolve to have a better life. You are in control.

Oct 23, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mydogquestion
    I think the reason lots of women stay is they are afraid of the unknown. And that fear keeps us in relationships we know are no good. This week is my one year since I left. I am in a good place. It took a long time for me to get here . I like you put up with his cheating. (he also spent alot of overnights with his pals.Using the excuse of not wantng to drive after drinking. )

Go to your family and friends for the emotional support you need. You are worth more than this. Take agood look at your life,then add ten years .Don't you think you deserve more.And your kids need more .

He stays because you let him. He knows you will always be there.The best thing you can do is get on with your life. It is hard to walk away but sometimes that is the only way. You can not change him . And leopards do not change there spots. He has had seven years to change.
    You said you have a good job,and you are a beautiful woman so start there.If this was your friend asking for advice would you tell her to stay an take scraps. I don't think so.

I moved out and on. It was hard at first not to call but my friends and family talked me through those days. You need to take one day at a time.

Look at your own life is this what you want ,if not you need to take action for yourself. List out the things in life you want for you and your children. Use this list to build your resolve to have a better life. You are in control.
    Thank you this helps. It's just now he is telling me he hates me (over something stupid-he can't find our checkbook). It's breaking my heart. He actually has me to believe that I am worthless and that I'll never be anythingmore than I am now. He won't talk to me, every time I try to calmly sit down and talk about the situation he huffs and puffs and ends up telling me he doesn't want to talk about things. I tell him if he wants to leave or break up then he just needs to tell me, but he says he loves me and wants to be with me forever. But whenever he gets angry over something, he hates me and threatens to leave me. I am seriously depressed.

Are there any over the counter anti depressents I can buy? (God I hope that was not a stupid question).
    jennie8057 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Depressed in MO
    I try not to post on here because I usually get answers through reading other people's posts. But I am hurting so much and I need a way to get through the pain.
    I've been with him for seven years. Had a few months of a break over a year ago, but got back together because it was too difficult to be apart. Or so I thought. I don't know why he wanted to be back with me. We have two children together. A beautiful house. He is only home one day a week. I know he is abusive, I know he cheats, and because of all this he hates me. Why I dont' know and that kills me. Why do I stay with him? Why am I so scared to leave him. Everyday I cry. I am a very good woman to him and I stand up to him when need be. But that doesn't help. It just gives him another excuse to leave and not come home for the night. He swears he's not cheating, but I'm sorry, you don't' spend Tuesday through Sunday at your boys' apartment sleeping on the couch. I can't ever get ahold of him, he doesn't try to get ahold of me.Even when i try the no contact thing, he accuses me of seeing someone else. I am always at home with the kids. Sometimes when I try to make love to him, he says "I guess I'm just getting old". He is 29, I'm 26.
    I tried. I tried to leave him one time and there was this overbearing sadness and pain in my chest, it literally made me sick-so I couldn't do it. It ended up I begged him to stay. he didn't chase after me when I threatened to leave. I chased after him. THAT IS SICK! What is wrong with me? I have a great job, I am a beautiful woman. Why don't I have enough self esteem to leave this guy? I need some encouragement, I have gotten it here before, but I need it again. I don't want to waste anyone's time though some of you may feel that way, but I just need some suggestions of how to start feeling better again, because I can't take this anymore. I don't want to be sad for the rest of my life, but I feel like I'm in a lose-lose situation. If I leave him, I'll be sad, If I stay I'll be sad.
    Why does he stay with me? If he is sleeping with others, and never around me or his kids, why doesn't he leave me? the day he does come home, he expects me to be happy and have a good time, and I try, but inside I am screaming wondering why, what, where, and who has he done. What has he been doing? And if it is nothing as he claims, Why can't he tell me why, where and what he has been doing.
    Please, if there is anyone who can give me suggestions on how to feel better. I just can't take it anymore.
    thanks much,

T
    Wow, I reall ydont know what to say but what are you thinking. Women have it all they have the power and seems that you are letting him have the power. He doesn't deserve you and if for anything your kids need to not be in that situation. You don't want them thinking that its OK for daddy to be gone. They know something's wrong. Intelligence in the women's mind is a powerful thing it will make you ever so happy to leave. Start over you feel bad about yourself because that is how he makes you feel. You deserve a man who will cherish eveything about you.

Ps Leave him and you'll find that you are so much happier. No one deserves to be miserable
    XxRoosterXx Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

Oct 23, 2007, 11:34 AM
    I have had some things going on with me too. I don't know if it's depression or what it is. But my wife suggested I start taking St. Johns Wort. I was a little skeptical at first but I think it really has had some positive effect. You might give it a try. Good luck

Oct 23, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jennie8057
    Wow, I reall ydont know what to say but what are you thinking. Women have it all they have the power and seems that you are letting him have the power. He doesnt deserve you and if for anything your kids need to not be in that situation. you dont want them thinking that its ok for daddy to be gone. They know somethings wrong. Intelligence in the womens mind is a powerful thing it will make you ever so happy to leave. Start over you feel bad about yourself because that is how he makes you feel. you deserve a man who will cherish eveything about you.

ps Leave him and youll find that you are so much happier. no one deserves to be miserable
    You are right, and I know that. Typically in these situations, the women do have the power. He is just a mean manipulative man. I left him before because of the way he was, then he was threatening me andm y family (yes did the whole restraining order thing, and clled the cops, doesn't work until after they fact they harm you) So we talked, put together a plan to work things out so he could see me and the kids, but he is right back to the same as I knew, but had hoped wouldn't happen. I am waiting for him to leave me. It just sucks that he has to hate me to do so.
    I just don't want him to do anything to my family. Which truthfully is the main reason I went back to him. He said he wouldn't hurt anyone as long as he could see me and the kids whenever he wanted. Well he never wants to see us obviously. But I don't want to leave him again and go back to being in fear or putting my family in danger.
    I know there aren't many options out there. So please don't be upset with me. I am really just venting and looking for ways to lower my depression and up myself esteem once again. Thank you for your thoughts.

Oct 23, 2007, 11:54 AM
    You are right, and I know that. Typically in these situations, the women do have the power. He is just a mean manipulative man. I left him before because of the way he was, then he was threatening me andm y family (yes did the whole restraining order thing, and clled the cops, doesn't work until after they fact they harm you) So we talked, put together a plan to work things out so he could see me and the kids, but he is right back to the same as I knew, but had hoped wouldn't happen. I am waiting for him to leave me. It just sucks that he has to hate me to do so.
    I just don't want him to do anything to my family. Which truthfully is the main reason I went back to him. he said he wouldn't hurt anyone as long as he could see me and the kids whenever he wanted. Well he never wants to see us obviously. But I don't want to leave him again and go back to being in fear or putting my family in danger.
    I know there aren't many options out there. so please don't be upset with me. I am really just venting and looking for ways to lower my depression and up my self esteem once again. Thank you for your thoughts.

I'm not trying to be me nor am I I just want you to know that there are ways out. He won't hurt you he's just using his manilaptive way to bring you down he can't have his cake and eat it too. He won't hury you. Get a tape recorder and record it with out him knowing and then when he says it you have it on tape to get a restraining order to use it against him :)
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 23, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Hi honey, long time 'no talk'. Sorry to find you in such a state.

It hurts like hell to be treated as if not worth anything, no matter how hard we try. Some men are just raised with the impression that the only way to treat us is like crap. Mine is the same way, and always has been, no matter how many times I try to mend things - it only works for a while and then he's back to his old ways. Some men just never change because they are so self-centered.

I did not reject him when he came back, and went through another two years of hell. Now, I'm sure I'm better off alone. My daughter is 32 though and not a small child that needs a 'family' She has a 'family' of her own and at least I don't have to worry about that.
    What I do not like is the idea of being all alone, especially now, but I know that it is better for my self-esteem and well being. It does hurt, but I know that hurt is less than what he had dished out and would continue to do so.

One thought just crossed my mind... is it possible that he is enjoying an 'alternate lifestyle' and does not want to come out of the closet? He sounds so selfish and wanting the best of both world for himself. At his age, anything is possible.. and probable.

The question here is do you want him to continue to drag you down and make a mess of the family image for the kids? Many of us have raised children on our own, not easy, but it's doable.
    Weigh the pros and cons of your state, sweety, and make a choice that is best for you and the kids.

Wish I were there to comfort you, but I can send you a hug, a great big one.
    If you leave him, you'll be sad, yes, but only for a little while until you realize that there is happiness out there..

Don't give up on yourself, you deserve a lot better.

Love,
    Chery

Oct 23, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    Hi honey, long time 'no talk'. Sorry to find you in such a state.

It hurts like hell to be treated as if not worth anything, no matter how hard we try. Some men are just raised with the impression that the only way to treat us is like crap. Mine is the same way, and always has been, no matter how many times I try to mend things - it only works for a while and then he's back to his old ways. Some men just never change because they are so self-centered.

I did not reject him when he came back, and went through another two years of hell. Now, I'm sure I'm better off alone. My daughter is 32 though and not a small child that needs a 'family' She has a 'family' of her own and at least I don't have to worry about that.
    What I do not like is the idea of being all alone, especially now, but I know that it is better for my self-esteem and well being. It does hurt, but I know that hurt is less than what he had dished out and would continue to do so.

One thought just crossed my mind... is it possible that he is enjoying an 'alternate lifestyle' and does not want to come out of the closet? He sounds so selfish and wanting the best of both world for himself. At his age, anything is possible..and probable.

The question here is do you want him to continue to drag you down and make a mess of the family image for the kids? Many of us have raised children on our own, not easy, but it's doable.
    Weigh the pros and cons of your state, sweety, and make a choice that is best for you and the kids.

Wish I were there to comfort you, but I can send you a hug, a great big one.
    If you leave him, you'll be sad, yes, but only for a little while until you realize that there is happiness out there..

Don't give up on yourself, you deserve a lot better.

Love,
    Chery

LOl-thanks for the hugs, God knows I need them. And Hugs to you too.
    I've questioned his possible other "lifestyle", of course, he would not admit that to me. But he has said he would rather be gay than to put up with some other 's sh*t.

He has got to be cheating. Do you think it is possible that he really isn't? I don't see how, but if there is any reasoning to that logic, please do share, because I don't know what else he could be doing based on his behavior.

Oct 23, 2007, 12:18 PM
    im not trying to be me nor am i i just want you to know that there are ways out. he wont hurt you hes just using his manilaptive way to bring you down he can't have his cake and eat it too. he wont hury you. get a tape recorder and record it with out him knowing and then when he says it you have it on tape to get a restraining order to use it against him :)
    That is a good idea, but would I be able to use a tape recorder in court?

Oct 23, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Yes, I have, it is a legitamte piece of evidence that states he was going to hurt you or your kids. I bought one a target and it was 30 and it doesn't make any sounds and it will record for like over 10 hours. Put it up in a place where he can't see it and wait for him to be himself. It is always worth a try just make sure you watch what you say too. Good luck!
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 23, 2007, 12:27 PM
    You could try what a lot of european women do. They ask a friend or hire someone who is his 'type' and see if he compromises himself. At least that way, you'd have a wittness. When fishing, use a Big Lure...

It's an idea..

Oct 23, 2007, 12:36 PM
    Yes, i have, it is a legitamte piece of evidence that states he was going to hurt you or your kids. I bought one a target and it was 30 and it doesnt make any sounds and it will record for like over 10 hours. put it up in a place where he can't see it and wait for him to be himself. it is always worth a try just make sure you watch what you say too. good luck!
    Ok I will do that. I just don't want my family to have to be involved (even family outside of the kids). They've been through enough already (including the kids).

Oct 23, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    You could try what a lot of european women do. They ask a friend or hire someone who is his 'type' and see if he compromises himself. At least that way, you'd have a wittness. When fishing, use a Big Lure...

It's an idea..

Well, you see, he hides his phones (yes, he has two of them) under the mattress every night that he is home.
    I'm not one for invading one's privacy, but after years and months of trying to talk and not getting honest answers, after weeks at a time of him not being home, I looked and I saw a text message to this one certain girl that read "Hi Sexy, I can't wait to get some luvns from you".

Did I mention that he came home day before yesterday briefly (shower and shave) with a hickey on his neck? He swears its not a hickey and that he and some friends were wrestling around.

When asked about the text message, he said a lot of people knew that girl and that someone must have used his phone and sent her that message.

Am I STUPID? Well yes I am because I'm still with him. A part of me asks-what if he is really telling the truth? But the other 98% tells me Don't BE STUPID.
    I am really in a sad mess.
    latinlita Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 04:29 PM
    I've been with him for seven years. Had a few months of a break over a year ago, but got back together because it was too difficult to be apart. Or so I thought. I don't know why he wanted to be back with me. We have two children together. A beautiful house. He is only home one day a week. I know he is abusive, I know he cheats, and because of all this he hates me. Why I dont' know and that kills me. Why do I stay with him? Why am I so scared to leave him. Everyday I cry. I am a very good woman to him and I stand up to him when need be. But that doesn't help. It just gives him another excuse to leave and not come home for the night. He swears he's not cheating, but I'm sorry, you don't' spend Tuesday through Sunday at your boys' apartment sleeping on the couch. I can't ever get ahold of him, he doesn't try to get ahold of me.Even when i try the no contact thing, he accuses me of seeing someone else. I am always at home with the kids. Sometimes when I try to make love to him, he says "I guess I'm just getting old". He is 29, I'm 26.
    I tried. I tried to leave him one time and there was this overbearing sadness and pain in my chest, it literally made me sick-so I couldn't do it. It ended up I begged him to stay. he didn't chase after me when I threatened to leave. I chased after him. THAT IS SICK! What is wrong with me? I have a great job, I am a beautiful woman. Why don't I have enough self esteem to leave this guy? I need some encouragement, I have gotten it here before, but I need it again. I don't want to waste anyone's time though some of you may feel that way, but I just need some suggestions of how to start feeling better again, because I can't take this anymore. I don't want to be sad for the rest of my life, but I feel like I'm in a lose-lose situation. If I leave him, I'll be sad, If I stay I'll be sad.
    Why does he stay with me? If he is sleeping with others, and never around me or his kids, why doesn't he leave me? the day he does come home, he expects me to be happy and have a good time, and I try, but inside I am screaming wondering why, what, where, and who has he done. What has he been doing? And if it is nothing as he claims, Why can't he tell me why, where and what he has been doing.
    thanks much,

T
    The problem tends to be that women think of the good times or how we would like things to return to when they were different. If he is acting strange and you think he is cheating he most likely is. Most men tend to become paranoid and put accusatory when they are the ones doing wrong. Talk to a few officers from your local police about being able to use a tape recorder in court. They will know the basic law in your state regarding the use of tape recorders from their traffic stops.

Oct 24, 2007, 05:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by latinlita
    The problem tends to be that women think of the good times or how we would like things to return to when they were different. If he is acting strange and you think he is cheating he most likely is. Most men tend to become paranoid and put accusatory when they are the ones doing wrong. Talk to a few officers from your local police about being able to use a tape recorder in court. They will know the basic law in your state regarding the use of tape recorders from their traffic stops.
    Yes, I know this is true. See the problem is much deeper than the obvious. I know all these things I've been told so far, but I cannot figure out why it is so hard to leave-knowing all of these things.
    He did not come home again last night. My heart is so broken I don't know what to do. I'm so depressed.

Anyway, thank you for your reply.
    KelseyBom Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Oct 24, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Oh man I feel for you... I'm really sorry about what's going on. I think you know what you should do though. I know you're going to hurt when you leave him... it's going to kill... I was with my ex for over 4 years when I finally got the curage to leave him... then it was back and forth with him for about a year... I finally moved out of the state to get away from him. I had to... now about 6 months into the new state and completely without my ex I feel a MILLION times better... but it was the hardest thing I've ever done. You may feel like if you leave him you'll always be sad with out him... but time heals everything and you WILL be OK after awhile... you will not be OK though if you stay with him. You will have no chance of happiness and you deserve it...

Oct 24, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KelseyBom
    Oh man I feel for you...I'm really sorry about what's going on. I think you know what you should do though. I know you're going to hurt when you leave him...it's going to kill...I was with my ex for over 4 years when I finally got the curage to leave him...then it was back and forth with him for about a year...I finally moved out of the state to get away from him. I had to...now about 6 months into the new state and completely without my ex I feel a MILLION times better...but it was the hardest thing I've ever done. You may feel like if you leave him you'll always be sad with out him...but time heals everything and you WILL be ok after awhile...you will not be ok though if you stay with him. You will have no chance of happiness and you deserve it...
    Thank you. Yes I know. Believe me, I wish I had the means to move out of state. I know what I need to do, it's just I need to find a way to keep that motivation after I'm gone to stay away. He will make me feel guilty, he will try to make me feel like I cannot live without him, he will make me feel like I'm messing up our kids' lives because I have taken them away from their father... I know everything he will try to do. Thing is, I'm afraid of the fact that there are things I may not know of that he will try to do which scares me the most. Again, fear of the unknown.
    Thank you for sharing your story though. It is much encouragement to me.

T
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Oct 24, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Are you married ? You have to check with a lr=egal service about what you can do about the kids and their Fathers rights. But in regard to him making you feel gulity about taking the kids from their father .hello how can he be a father to his kids if he's not there!
    He is the one who is messing up the kids life. You know what you should do. Yes it is hard .Each day is a little easier. I did not tell my ex where I moved,and have had no contact in over six months . In the beginning some contact about bills and stuff . Getting his name off anything with mine then I let it go.

Since you have kids together check the law first. There are legal advisors in the phone book or check with local shelters if you fear for your safety they can help with all the legal stuff.
    rempires Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 03:31 PM
    *please ntoe this is an 18yr old amles opinion, and therefor may not have allt eh maturity/knowledge an older person could give

I would seem to me you are afraid of the world more than the relationship, that in your mind it is better to stay with him then venture intot he world. Or maybe it is because of the links betweent he kids no you doubt love.

If you are 26 and sucsesful, I believe you could make it in the world and find someone who loves you, would not cheat on you or abuse you. But I can't imagine this would be easy to do.

It seems to them that he is taking advantage for you, because you know that you won't leave him no matter what he does, some people will not change ever, to be happy maybe it is time for you to leave and find someone who likes you for you.

The overbearing pain I believe will go away I'v seen some of my family members in almost the same situation as you, one left and tried to commit suicide, but they all agreed after a few months it got better, and the one who ahd kids said that having them with her really helped her move along gave he hope and a reasont o move on. I think if you need to decide what is best for you and yours kdis and follow that path, it should make you the happiest, and if you leave him and get the overbearing pain, try to find somthign to fill up all your free time, ( I donno how old your kids are) but paly with them, take them to a park, join yoga or a local activity, volunteer, in this same way you may unexpectidly met someone you liekw ithout trying, although you may not be ready for a relationship maybe he/she will help you through this trying time.

I guess the only real advie I can offer is think about you and your kids and do what you believe best from there, whatever you need to do to make you and them happy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

Why do straight women fool around with straight women: An open discussion. [ 55 Answers ]

Ever wondered why straight women fool around with other straight (or gay) women? Ever tried it? Ever regretted it? Thoughts?

Can a women [ 6 Answers ]

If a women has a lot of muscle, or a 6 pack, can she still have a baby?

For the women [ 4 Answers ]

THE HILLBILLY VASECTOMY After their 11th child, an Alabama couple decided that was enough as they could not afford a larger bed. So the husband went to his veterinarian and told him that he and his cousin didn't want to have any more children. The doctor told him that there was a...

View more questions Search