Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homeowner help Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2007, 09:08 AM
    Gas furnace blows cold air
    Hi. I have a gas furnace, not sure of the brand. It is blowing cold air. When I watched it go 'on' before, here's how it generally works - the pilot light ignites, then generally several seconds later the furnace 'catches', makes a low rumble and starts sending warmer air through the vents.

Right now the pilot light ignites but the furnace catch (the rumbling sound) doesn't happen. At that time it starts blowing out air... cold air.

This has happened a few times... last year... but only when it was windy/raining... as it has been the last few days here.

I've tried turning the off switch and turning off the thermostat then restarting the thermostat and flipping the on swithch of the furnace. Still cold air.

The furnace is upright, in a closet, with a vent pipe going through the roof. That's about as technical as I get. Do you think the wind/rain is keeping the furnace from 'catching' ?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Usually the blower is brought on by a time delay, that is why it will blow cold air if the burner does not lite, you may have a corroded flame sensor (a rod with a wire attached and sticks into the flame) or a dirty burner, may also be that the pilot is not igniting.
    The ignition control modual is very sensitive to moisture if you have a package unit, this may also be the cause, Good luck, Mike

Oct 20, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Mike
    Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.
    Well the pilot is igniting, I see the blue flame. But I bet you are right about the sensor or the burner.
    Of course it's a weekend.. when else do things go out! I'm going to have a service person in during the week to look at it.
    I've read that the sensor can be easy to clean or replace myself but that sounds explosive :)

Quote Originally Posted by acetc
    Usually the blower is brought on by a time delay, that is why it will blow cold air if the burner does not lite, you may have a corroded flame sensor (a rod with a wire attached and sticks into the flame) or a dirty burner, may also be that the pilot is not igniting.
    The ignition control modual is very sensitive to moisture if you have a package unit, this may also be the cause, Good luck, Mike
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 07:37 PM
    If we can get a brand of furnace and model it will be easer to help. Remove the top door on the furnace a brand and model number should be on the side of furnace or bottom shelf of the unit.

Oct 21, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Well, I tried the furnace this morning, the pilot light ignited and then out of the blue the burner or coil or whatever caught, there was the familiar rumbling sound and it worked.. started blowing out warm air.

The only thing that's changed is that we aren't having a steady downpour of rain. Do you still think it's worth having the service person check the burner or could it possibly be rain related?

I'm still trying to find the furnace brand/model number... it's not on the front where it should be.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 21, 2007, 08:30 PM
    I would have it checked over by a professional unless you want to get caught with your pants down at 10 degrees. It can get real cold real fast when the furnace does not work.
    RedRob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 10:48 AM
    I have a similar problem as you. It seems my sensor is slipping down just a bit due to the outside casing (ceramic maybe?) being cracked. I cleaned it, but it still seems spuradic.

After the pilot lights, if I blow on the pilot flame then the furnace lights up just fine. I figure it's blowing the pilot flame more onto the sensor.

Does this make sense?

Also, is the "sensor" the same as the "thermocoupler"?
    renard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 11:07 AM
    My ignitor heats up for about 10 sec and then it goes out but there is no flame from the flamer. It runs for about 10min. Blowing cool air and then it goes out

Oct 28, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Furnaces work or do not work. As I mentioned I would not want to get caught with a furnace that has problems when it gets cold. Everyone waits till its cold to get the furnace fixed then when the repair man cannot make it for a few days because they are busy the customer freezes. Something caused the unit not to work.

Sensor is not the same as thermocuple.
    Cracked ceramic part should be replaced. It is in the ceramic for a reason. The ceramic acts as a insulator.

Oct 28, 2007, 11:12 AM
    renard start a new thread so we can keep these problems separate.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 11:17 AM
    ''Also, is the "sensor" the same as the "thermocoupler"?''

Flame sensors are a newer technology that replaces the thermocouple. You can find pictures of each at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Furnace Blows Cold Air [ 18 Answers ]

This actually just started a day ago and I am trying to figure out as much as I can before calling a service person (if necessary). My apologies in advance if I am leaving out important details but I've never dealt with a faulty heater or A/C before. My central heater in the attic was running...

Gas furnace blows out cold air at night [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there. I have a problem that I haven't quite seen here and I have no idea how to search for it. Here's the deal: I have a gas furnace. I'm trying to save energy, so I got a new thermostat at the beginning of the fall. I set it to 68 when we're awake and in the house, and 60 after 10pm and...

Gas Furnace Blows Cold Air during Programmable Thermostat Cycle [ 1 Answers ]

Our furnace works fine when set to a constant temperature, (22 degrees celsius), the gas ignites every time and the blower functions properly. The problem occurs when I program the Honeywell thermostat to switch temperatures to 21 overnight, 19 during the day, 22 in the evening. When it's...

Please help:Furnace still blows cold air... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi again, I posted my situation a few days ago with very little response, so I wanted to follow up again before calling out a technician. I have a Goodman gas furnace, about three years old. It has electronic pilot ignition, which works fine and will enable the burner flame... the problem is the...

Furnace blows cold air... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a new member and thought I had already posted my question, but I can't seem to locate it. So, here I go again. Condensed version: Goodman Gas Furnace... 2years old. Blows cold air. Electronic ignition... ignites flame burners, but they turn off prematurely after about 2-3min. Then after a...

View more questions Search