Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snickers321 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2005, 09:49 PM
    Missed a pill... now I'm spotting
    I am very worried. This is my 3rd month on the pill (ortho tri-cyclen lo). I have never had spotting before, and I always take my pill at the same time every morning. However for the past week and a half I didn't take the pill at exactly the same time every morning, but I would at least in the same 3-hour time slot. Last Tuesday (12/20) I missed my pill, so I took it that same night when I remembered. The same day, my doctor prescribed me tetracyclin, an antibiotic... at the time I didn't know that antibiotics can interfere with the pill. On Thursday my boyfriend and I had sex, and within the hour afterwords I began spotting. At first it was pinkish, and it soon turned dark brown. It is very light. I am also having some cramps that are sharp and come and go very quickly. That night I stopped taking the tetracyclin because I realized that it interferes with the pill (I took a total of 5 of the tetracyclin pills). I have been spotting ever since we had sex. Today I took my last "active" pill (all of this has occurred within the 3rd week of my active pills), and my period is supposed to start in about 3 or 4 days. I took a home pregnancy test today that was negative, but I think I may have taken it too early.

After all that long scenario...
    I am wondering if the spotting is most likely from the missed/late pill, taking the pills at different times of day, and/or the tetracyclin, OR if it is more likely that it is implantation bleeding from the sex we had the week before?
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 24, 2005, 10:08 PM
    As I always say you should check with your doctor on that. I had that problem with spotting when I was on the pill for bit and I think maybe it was from the missed pill but I stopped taking them so I don't know for sure. Ack! Please tell the doctor and ring us up when you find out so we don't worry our little heads off. Tell the doctor all of what you have told us.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2005, 07:17 AM
    Spotting
    Hi,
    I agree with crankiebabie about seeing a doctor. Any suggestions I would give would be complete "guesswork".
    Please see a doctor.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Dec 26, 2005, 12:24 AM
    Snickers, your chances of pregnancy are low since you only missed one pill and you took it the next day. An irregular cycle can be expected after skipping your period with the pill. It will take your period a while to get back on track. But you should consider paying a visit to your doctor.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 27, 2005, 03:46 AM
    Since you didn't go to your Mom, you get the lecture from me...
    Again, someone who does not tell us how old you are... Then, taking the pill for three months, does not give your body time to get regular, and you seem to be pretty irresponsible in not taking them on time. Sorry to sound like a 'mother' , but I am, and if you were my daughter, I'd spank you. It's nice to discover sex and have a boyfriend, but if you don't want to get pregnant or WORSE (that's experimenting not only with sex, but danger of STDs)- then you both should still have used the condom along with the pill. He should have respected you enough to understand the risks and responsibilities and not just the fun. Sex is not the only important thing in the world - your health is!
    When a doctor gives you antibiotics, it is for a reason - and not for you to just stop because you feel like it. You should have kept up the antibiotics and stopped the sex or used condoms again. Now, after giving you a lecture, I suggest you see your doctor, tell him/her about this stupidity, and probably get lectured again. Sorry, but in my opinion, you needed this scare - to let something very important sink in - that's to be safe and a little more responsible from now on. Your spotting could be due to many things like a weak pill and hormone level not adjusted to it yet, to rough sex, and yes also pregnancy (which I hope not) so do what is suggested by everyone else - see a doctor, get reassured and think about what your life would be like if you are, to include a boyfriend who probably will drop you like a hot potato if you are. Please have some self-respect and take better care of yourself from now on. Good luck dear, and keep us posted. And again, sorry for the lecture, but someone had to do it, and you know that...

Dec 27, 2005, 11:53 AM
    Thank you for your advice, but I think that was extremely rude and presumptuous. My age should not make any difference, but I am eighteen. It was completely unnecessary for you to call me stupid, and to say that my boyfriend would "drop me like a hot potato" if I were to become pregnant. We discussed what we would do in the situation that I became pregnant before we even began to have sex. When I missed the pill, I looked at the ortho-tri-cyclen website and it said that if you miss only one pill, just to take it when you remember and you do not need extra protection. I did my research before we had sex again. The tetracycline was for acne, so stopping it is not going to cause anything worse than a breakout... plus I had a follow-up appointment at the doctor already scheduled for 2 weeks, so I figured I could just present the situation to him then. I didn't think it was necessary for me to include all of that in my question, but apparently I should have. I am not just some stupid teenage girl having sex with everyone she sees. I did my research on the birth control, and me and my boyfriend (we were both virgins, by the way) decided that we wanted to start making love. I was asking for a probability in my question, not an attack. Thank you.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 27, 2005, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by snickers321
    Thank you for your advice, but I think that was extremely rude and presumptuous. My age should not make any difference, but I am eighteen. It was completely unecessary for you to call me stupid, and to say that my boyfriend would "drop me like a hot potato" if I were to become pregnant. We discussed what we would do in the situation that I became pregnant before we even began to have sex. When I missed the pill, I looked at the ortho-tri-cyclen website and it said that if you miss only one pill, just to take it when you remember and you do not need extra protection. I did my research before we had sex again. The tetracycline was for acne, so stopping it is not going to cause anything worse than a breakout... plus I had a follow-up appointment at the doctor already scheduled for 2 weeks, so I figured I could just present the situation to him then. I didn't think it was necessary for me to include all of that in my question, but apparently I should have. I am not just some stupid teenage girl having sex with everyone she sees. I did my research on the birth control, and me and my boyfriend (we were both virgins, by the way) decided that we wanted to start making love. I was asking for a probability in my question, not an attack. Thank you.
    Good for you, and yes a little more information would have helped, as most of the young ladies that miss a pill and stop antibiotics don't sound like responsible adults - that's why I excused myself for the 'lecture' in advance, and apologize for being wrong this one time, at the same time being glad I'm wrong, if that makes any sense. Also taking tetracycline for acne is not crucial, but tetracycline is also primarily taken for upper respiratory infections which would have been a serious issue since if you stop them before taking then all the infection could have become resistant and not work the next time you need it, so you have to see it from both sides. You actually did the research on the pill, so you knew already - but did not tell us, therefore providing the guesswork fred mentioned. I do hope that you made your doctor's appointment and until then you might want to check on the site below.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sym...gnancy/PR00102
    Scroll down and even get answers on symptoms, exercise,
    Dangers, etc.
    http://www.epigee.org/pregnancy/symptoms.html
    Just in case.

Wishing you and your boyfriend a Happy New Year!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Dec 27, 2005, 11:43 PM
    Chery, the information you've provided is very good. Snickers, this lady knows what she's talking about, she has helped many women in the same situation. And I agree with her, you should definitely go see your doctor for a check up. We wish you all the best and hope you have a healthy and happy life.

Dec 28, 2005, 02:21 PM
    Thank you everyone for your advice. And thank you for the websites Chery, I can see where your lecture came from, I know there are some very irresponsible girls out there. Luckily, this was a false alarm. I am going to talk to the doctor at my next appt on the 3rd, but I have started my period and my breast soreness went away. In the mean time, I am continuing the pill and my boyfriend and I are going condom-shopping haha. I wish all of you a happy and safe new years:)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 28, 2005, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by snickers321
    Thank you everyone for your advice. And thank you for the websites Chery, I can see where your lecture came from, I know there are some very irresponsible girls out there. Luckily, this was a false alarm. I am going to talk to the doctor at my next appt on the 3rd, but I have started my period and my breast soreness went away. In the mean time, I am continuing the pill and my boyfriend and I are going condom-shopping haha. I wish all of you a happy and safe new years:)
    Thanks for understanding where I was coming from, and Happy New Year to you and your Boyfriend too. Have you tried the fruit flavored ones? I heard they were fun..
    I thought by now that they would find something else for acne - talk to your doctor. Tetracycline has a tendency to discolor your teeth and even make you lose them sometimes. It's a very good antibiotic, but has it's side-effects. I hope you won't have to take it for too long. A friend of mine wrote a book about acne with my help, I'll see if I can find it online, and let you know. He still practices in New Mexico. I'll also see what our Dermatologists here use and get back with you. Until then, check this site and print it for your doctor and ask his/her advice.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...aris&cat=pharm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Missed pill [ 1 Answers ]

If you miss a day of your birth control pill, and have sex later that day, will you automatically become pregnant If your boyfriend ejaculates in you? And if so, will taking 2 pills the next morning prevent you from becoming pregnant? Also, If you douche right after sex, does that increase...

Missed period [ 4 Answers ]

I haven't had a period since January 6, it is now February26. I've taken 4 epts and they have come out negative. Is it possible to be pregnant and yet test negative? How long should I wait before I see my np? I've had a child already, so I'm a bit confused. I have had some cramping similar to...

Missed periods [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my names lynn I was on the mini pill up till 9 months ago I've not had a period since then I had the morning after pill in dec05 and had a heavy period I am not pregnant and still haven't had a period I am 35 can you help

Missed period?! [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't had my period since the 1st week in April and the only thing I can think of as to why is that I started taking singulair in between April & may for asthma- could this be true? And also I have never gone all the way but my boyfriend and I do masturbate each other- there wouldn't be any...

View more questions Search