Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scaredycat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Burning smell from celing fan old and new.
    I had an old ceiling fan that suddenly stopped working while operating and smelled like it was on fire. I even called the fire dept. and they came out and said it was just the fan motor burning up and to keep the electricity off to the room until the fan was replaced. I purchased and installed a new fan according to directions and after about five minutes of it being on I had the same burning smell- though not as strong- I quickly turned it off. Would this be a new fan break in period or does it mean faulty wiring with the house?
    lily_678 Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Oct 7, 2007, 06:43 AM
    I would call the reparment so they can determine what's up with that :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 7, 2007, 07:15 AM
    If you get the smell from both the old and new, it is obviously in the wiring itself.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 08:07 AM
    I agree with Fr Chuck, have the voltage checked to the fan. Fans, as cheap as they are, rarely burnout for no reason. Higher than normal voltage will kill a motor quickly.

You may have a shared neutral causing the abnormal voltage on two circuits, or may even be a problem with a loose neutral connection in the panel, meter, or the utility connections.

This is certainly something worth having checked. If there is a problem, it will only get worse and cause more damage.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 10:21 AM
    What make is the old fan, and what make is the new fan?

Are you sure the smell is coming from the fan itself, and not from the ceiling above it? I've seen situations where a wire nut that wasn't making a solid connection started to melt from arching, and that created a strong burning smell.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Celing fan [ 4 Answers ]

I need assistance to understand how to disassembly a celing fan I have at home. I took off the wings and now I want to know how disassembly the motor from the celing. My knowladge it is screwed to the celing, the only problem I have is that the cover for the celling is not allowing me to use the...

Celing fan [ 1 Answers ]

I have two Harbor Breeze celing fans w/remotes and the one remote will not operate the fan or light I have to use the wall switch to turn and turn off the light and the fan does not work. The second one the light won't work with or with out the remote or by turning on the light swirch only the cord...

Ceiling Fan has burning out motor smell? [ 3 Answers ]

We recently got a new ceiling fan for our living room and put the old one (not sure of brand - but not more than 3 years old) upstairs in a guest bedroom. Our realtor hooked it up at first and the breaker was flipping because he didn't have the wiring hooked up right. I called a handyman and he...

Celing fan not steady [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay celing fan that is about 1 year old. It has started to rock and make noise. I can't figure out how to get it apart to tighten the bracket that holds it to the celing. HELP!

Burning smell [ 1 Answers ]

I woke up this morning to a burning smell coming from heat vents. I can't see anything burning and I changed out the filter already. It smells like plastic.

View more questions Search