Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    farmbt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 04:47 AM
    No vent stack?
    I recently purchased an old house and the toilet drains slow and bubbles. I cannot locate any plumbing venting at all. The plumbing is all located within 4 ft of the main drain going out through the basement wall, with the kitchen sink, bath sink, tub all connecting to the toilet line then out through the main line. The main line is in the basement wall directly below a window, is it possible to run a vent off the top of the main connection out the window and up the side of the house? Will this help relieve a bubbling toilet, barring any clogs of course.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 5, 2007, 05:02 AM
    A bubbling toilet indicates back pressure caused by a partial blockage. Snake the drain downstream from the toilet and see if that doesn't help.
    A good way to tell if you're vented is to look under your fixtures at the traps. If they go into the wall then chances are you're vented, however, if they go into the floor it's a "S" trap and your house is indeed unvented.
    The main line is in the basement wall directly below a window, is it possible to run a vent off the top of the main connection out the window and up the side of the house? Will this help relieve a bubbling toilet, barring any clogs of course.
    This will not vent your house. Code mandates that every fixture that has a trap must also have its own vent. Good luck, Toim
    farmbt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 09:23 AM
    If all of the fixture drains come to the main drain line and I vent this drain will this qualify as a main stack vent. Is it OK to run this dry vent at 90 degree angles out the window and above the roof line of the house?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 7, 2007, 10:09 AM
    As I've stated in a earlier post this will not vent your drainage system. If you install a vent off the sewer cleanout you will have accomplished nothing. Your fixtures will still all have "S" traps that were outlawed years ago in all the states and Canada. If your aren't going to repipe the drainage to accept a vent on every fixture that has a trap then save your time and money and keep the present set up. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen vent stack [ 4 Answers ]

How does one unthaw a frozen vent stack on the roof ?

Vent Stack Leaking [ 3 Answers ]

Our house, built in 1988, has a leak in its vent stack where one vent line tees into the vertical "main" vent before the main vent goes through the roof. The leaking tee is about 6 to 8 feet below the roof. Normally there is no problem with the vent stack (no smells, etc.), but when we get a...

Roof Stack Vent [ 1 Answers ]

All of my home stack vents are PVC covered in lead. Over the past few months the squirrels have eaten most of the flat lead and stack exposing the pipe and roof paper. Rather than making squirrel soup, does anyone know of a material to use over the pipes rather than lead that will keep the...

Vent Stack Leaking [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I are NOT handy and must hire people to help with home matters. I'll try to explain my question as clearly as possible. The house is a one story ranch. The basement is unfinished. We can see the vent stack going up from the elbow straight through to the roof. During a heavy...

Another Vent Stack Question [ 1 Answers ]

I have a vent that runs from my middle floor bath to the roof. From the bathroom it runs down into the basement level garage and into the slab with a cleanout before entering the slab floor. The only items that drain into the line are a toilet and sink. The shower has its own drain and vent. ...

View more questions Search