Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xmbd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 06:03 PM
    USB hard drive, recognized but no volume letter
    I just bought a USB External Hard Drive. But when I plug it into my laptop and
    Desktop computers, both running Win XP Pro, the system recognized it immediately
    And there is an "Safely remove Hardware" icon shown on the right bottom. But I can not find out the drive volume letter for this USB drive in "Windows Explorer".
    In "Device Manager", I can find "USB mass storage Device" working properly, "Location 0 (JM20338 SATA, USB Combo)".
    But in "Administrative Tools", "Computer Management", "Storage", "Removable Storage" and "Disk Management", I cannot find the drive neither. The drive is pre-formatted as
    FAT32.

Thanks a lot guys.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 10, 2006, 06:53 AM
    I would recommend reformating it with NTFS so that it will accept files larger than 4gb. Also ensure that the drive is partitioned, as no drive letter can be assigned to un-parttitioned space. After those are complete, check out this link to Microsoft, as this is a fairly common problem. http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;297694 Windows appears to be lazy in regards to external drives.
    Good Luck
    Andrew2399 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2006, 05:41 PM
    Go back into Disk Management and reformat the drive to NTFS, that should fix the problem.
    Cylon Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 03:53 PM
    You might not need to format the drive again. Sometimes USB drives won't show up because there's a drive letter conflict. Before you try formatting, right-click on My Computer, choose Manage, double-click Storage, and double-click Disk Management. Scroll to see if your USB drive is there and then change the drive letter.
    computertrouble Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 05:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cylon
    You might not need to format the drive again. Sometimes USB drives won't show up because there's a drive letter conflict. Before you try formatting, right-click on My Computer, choose Manage, double-click Storage, and double-click Disk Management. Scroll to see if your USB drive is there and then change the drive letter.
    Ok, here's the dumb question, how do I change the drive letter? :confused:
    llin85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by computertrouble
    Ok, here's the dumb question, how do I change the drive letter? :confused:

Right click!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

USB stick not recognized [ 1 Answers ]

When I connect any USB stick to my PC , first it seems to be detected but afterwards a message 'Found new hardware' pops up, trying to recognize the stick but in vain. So?!

USB Portable Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

I have an existing hard drive that was formatted to be a slave (without OS) and has data already on it. I removed the hard drive from the machine and plugged it into a USB Portable Hard Drive. My computer will not recognize that the external hard drive is present. I do not want to erase the data...

No Volume Label- Hard drive in USB case [ 10 Answers ]

I have taken a 120 gig hard drive from another computer and put it into an external case plugged into my laptop through USB. The Laptop, running XP, recognises the device and I can drill down to see the drive but no label has been assigned and I can't access the disk. The disk management tool...

USB Device not recognized [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 laptops Toshiba : one is a PORTEGE 7200 and the other Tecra 8000. Both worked perfectly with a USB Wireless adapter Linksys WUSB54G on Windows 2000 until last week. After I installed Windows XP professional, both stopped recognizing the USB wireless adapter. I have "USB Device not...

View more questions Search