Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ghelnes11 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Move toilet location
    How difficult is it to relocate a toilet less than 10 feet from where it is located now? We would like to install a whirlpool tub, but would need to relocate the toilet.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2007, 09:33 PM
    Where is this at? Is it on concrete floor or conventional floor.? CAN you get under where it is at and going?? DId not have enough information::::

Oct 2, 2007, 05:57 AM
    The bathroom is our 2nd floor master bathroom. We are thinking about enlarging the bathroom to install a whirlpool tub. We would extend the bath into a closet. The bathroom has a 1 sink vanity, toilet and shower. The shower is next to the toilet. If we move the toilet into the closet and remove the shower we could install a whirlpool tub/shower in that location. The other option would be to enlarge the bath into the shower and part of the bedroom and put the whirlpool tub/shower there which would be the backside of the sink vanity. I would think that option would be easier, but the idea of a separate toilet and the whirlpool tub/shower when you first enter the bath seems more appealing. Your thoughts?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 06:27 AM
    It may not be so bad if in a major remodel you are going to rip up the floor and walls. Besides the drains, you must have everything properly vented. Getting all this right can be tricky. Your best thing might be to figure out what you have now, and what you want to do. Then post a sketch here and let our professional plumbers help you. We have some very good people here. I leave details on drains and venting to them.

Oct 2, 2007, 10:36 AM
    I am posting three drawing of the master bathroom. The first one is the bathroom now and the other two are ideas of how to add a whirlpool bath. I know this isn't much information, but there aren't any plumbing drawings and I don't want to tackle the job until I have a better feel for the difficulty or cost. Thanks.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 12:31 PM
    Quite often you will have a main stack running from below the house to a roof top vent. The waste goes down it pulling air in the vent as needed. Start moving drains and vents around, and you can run into code problems. If you are on a slab, it makes locating things tougher. Listen a little downstairs and you can identify where the drains go through the walls. The roof top vent is obvious. Also look for vent pipes in the attic. I can't tell you how to comply with codes and wouldn't trust some others. I just want to set it up so Tom can spike it.

Oct 8, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Does anyone ever answer these questions?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 8, 2007, 11:44 AM
    OK here is a simple answer, its difficult. Most of the people who responded gave correct answers and very general advise but this task is over the heads of most home owners. To insure the new system works properly and meets code you likely need a real plumber to do the job or at least give you an estimate. We don't know your skill level so maybe you can tell us more about yourself..
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Before Tom or one of the others here can give a good answer, you have to post the info I suggested, where your existing drains and vents are. Which way the joists run would help too. It is much easier to extend a drain along a joist that across them.

With the proper advice here, likely you can do the job. Running PVC pipe is fairly easy once you figure out where to run it. There are easy ways to tie into copper without soldering too.

Oct 8, 2007, 01:24 PM
    I don't know where the existing drains or vents are. I also don't know which way the floor joists run. I though perhaps from looking where the toilet, shower and sink are presently one could tell what I would find once the floor and walls are opened up. I have done basic plumbing running PVC, replacing fixtures, etc. The main thing I don't have experience with is the venting. If you branch off from the existing toiler drain, do you need to run a new separate vent for the new toilet? Thanks,
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 9, 2007, 07:50 AM
    If you indicate which way your load bearing walls run we can determine the direction of the floor joists. Cutting a 5" hole through serveral joists, with the proper pitch, can be tricky let alone trying to get 10' of PVC through the new holes. Speedball1 can better answer your vent question.

Oct 9, 2007, 08:41 AM
    The load-bearing walls run the same direction as the 11' wall.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2007, 08:36 PM
    ghelnes11 - LOOKing at the drawings you sent I would guess that the floor joist are running from your bedroom to left side of the print, which right behind the comode inside is the main 3" drain, the shower should be at least a 1 1/2" pipe that is " T" into main drain,and the sink drain the same way, if floor joist run the way I'M thinking ( JUST gussing) on what I can see,:::: The joist will be notched or holes drilled threw them for the 1 1/2 " drain line "t" into the 3" main line behind toilet You will probably find the vent line there also, and don't be surprised if it's only a pvc 1 1/2 " pipe . I HOPE I HAVE Helped I REALLY NEED EXACT MEASURMENTS ON NEW UNIT AND ON the stand up shower (OUTSIDE TO OUTSIDE) ALso inside wall to wall, measurements

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Move phone jack location [ 3 Answers ]

My current phone jack is clearly visible on a wall above the kitchen counter. I would like to move the location of this phone jack approximately 2 or 3 feet to the left, on the same wall, so that the jack will be hidden behind the refrigerator. Is this a DIY or should I call the phone company to...

Location of toilet and wall [ 4 Answers ]

Help! New house with roughed in drain lines in basement. After framing, toilet drain is 10.5 inches from bottom plate. I know that textbook should be 12 inches. What are my options? Thanks.

Toilet move [ 7 Answers ]

I am in the process of a major remodel of my bathroom. In doing so, I am moving my toilet from one corner to the complete opposite (diagonal) corner and still want to use the existing 3" stack. However, I am facing two issues. One, the existing vent was improperly installed and so I am wanting...

Toilet Vent Location [ 1 Answers ]

How close to the toilet should the vent line be? I’m in the process of moving a toilet and am not sure if I need to extend the vent too. Currently, the vent line is about 6 inches from the toilet, and after I move the toilet it would be 2 feet. Thanks Scott

View more questions Search