Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kajaseymour Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 01:14 PM
    How do I respond to a summons from a creditor
    My husband received a summons from a creditor. It said we have 20 days to respond. I don't know how to respond. Do I have to go to the courthouse or what do I do?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 1, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Usually the big guys we owe money to don't come after us personally. They sell it to a collection agency. Write them back and ask them for details. Look closely at the paperwork to make absolutely sure it is an authentic summons; did you have to sign for it? If it came through the mail it could be on of the first scare tactics.
    kajaseymour Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 01:29 PM
    It was served to us by a deputy. The creditor is citibank. I don't know what I need to do to respond.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 1, 2007, 03:31 PM
    The summons should list a court that issued it. You file an Intent to Defend with the court and send a copy to the creditor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any Ideas on how to Respond to Summons? [ 6 Answers ]

Greetings to all in Debtland, I am confused as to how to respond to creditors/collection agencies/lawyers - I feel like they are closing in on me. I have 2 weeks to respond to a summons from a lawyer representing Discover Card. I haven't responded yet because I've been doing research to find...

How do I respond to a Summons [ 1 Answers ]

I received a Summons from CC of State of Oregon about a past due amount that I could not pay. Credit card debt. I lost my home back in the early 2003 when I became ill with SLE. I have not been able to work full time and don't make enough to keep up with what I have. I cannot afford medical or...

Received 10 day summons.how to respond? [ 6 Answers ]

I received a summons and am required to file an answer in writing. Is there a special form that I need or do I just write a formal letter? Also... do I have to pay the amount that they are asking? (Way more than I can afford and also, I feel that it is a ridiculous amount it is way more than what I...

Served a summons? Documents to respond? [ 1 Answers ]

I was recently served a summons for credit card debt and plan to respond myself. Is there any type of document that is already formatted that I can put my own information on to help me?

How do I respond to the summons I just got served? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've received a summons 2 weeks ago from a law firm representing CACH in Colorado (Melissa A Ferris, Orlando) esquire. In doing the follow up research I've checked the cleark of county court website and there is indeed a suit. Also I called the CC company and they gave me the date they sold...

View more questions Search