Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DINOBAM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 05:01 AM
    Water runs into toilet bowl all the time
    I have a 2 1/2 yr old manufacture home and from almost day one both toilet have been running water into the bowl all the time. We have changed the flappers in both twice. The water may stop running for a short time, but always starts again. Besides increasing our water bill, the master bath runs so much that the tank refills often and wakes me up during the night.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Check the he flapper seal. You need to inspect the sealing surface for any burrs, pits or cracks. Most of the time they can be removed with 400 grit wet sandpaper. Flapper alignment can also be an issue.

Turn off the toilet water. Flush the toilet. Use a wet vac to remove the residual water. Feel and inspect the sealing surface.

There are a lot of other issues it can be too: Toilet Valve Repair - How to for the Do It Yourselfer
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 26, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Sounds like your flapper linkage needs adjusting.
    With the flapper seated the linkage wants to have 1/4" of play. Too much play and the flapper doesn't get pulled back enough giving you a short flush. Too tight and it lets water seep past the flapper. I adjust the chain by the link and if it needs fine tuning, I bend the flush lever rod a bit untill I have the desired play in the linkage. One more thing about a flapper. you will see where the old flapper hooks onto the base of the white overflow tube. On a older type with no hooks the flapper has a ring that slips down over the overflow tube to the seat. If your tank has hooks, take a sharp knife or scissors and cut the neoprene ring off on the marks provided and hook the flapper on the hooks. Leaving the ring on will interfere with the flush. The water level in your tank should be 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube when the tank's filled. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet bowl water low [ 5 Answers ]

Hello... I'm wondering why our toilet bowl no longer fills with water... the tank is full, but the bowl only fills about 1/3 of the way. Flushing is fine, it's just that there isn't much water to swirl around when flushed. Any ideas?

Water leakage + toilet bowl water level [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a new house (1.5years old) and I recently noticed water leakage from the ceiling just below the master bathroom on the 2nd floor. I called the home builders (I have warranty on this house) and they said they could not find any leaks and that it happened because of improper usage. I am...

Toilet water runs through bowl but will not flush? [ 3 Answers ]

For several days I've had a problem with my toilet not flushing.The tank fills and empties and the debries go down but the water won't swirl or flush with the solid wast? I've tried plunging,clearing all holes and adjusting float and other things but can't find reason. It's not pluged,or septic is...

Low water in toilet bowl [ 1 Answers ]

For the last three weeks my toilet have been stopped up. The water in the bowl itself is very low, will that cause it to stop up:)

Toilet bowl water level [ 11 Answers ]

I am not totally unfamiliar with plumbing, but this one has me stumped. I flush the toilet before I go to bed. In the morning the water level in the bowl has dropped a couple of inches. When the toilet is flushed there appears to be an air bubble which comes up, but the toilet flushes almost...

View more questions Search