Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dnagard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 10:12 PM
    Humidifier and high efficiency furnace
    I have 7 years old high efficiency furnace and new flow through humidifier. Problem is that I do not have necessary level of humidity in my house. It is never more then 26%, which is dry. Should be between 40-60%.
    Everything works fine, water flows through humidifier every time furnace turns on but humidity level never goes up. Humidifier is installed on return duct and connected with hot air duct, with 6” flexible bypass tube. Every thing is installed according to installation manual. Air goes unobstructed through bypass tube into humidifier and then into return duct. At this point that air should be humid since it passed through wet grill, but I still do not have more then 26% humidity in the house.
    I tried drum type humidifier as well and had same results. I can see drum spinning but it does not pick up the water. I even tried with furnace fan turned on all the time but same thing, no humidity. In desperation I also tried with 6” buster fan placed in bypass tube (to increase air flow) and had it ran for few days, no lack.
    Finally I came to conclusion that high efficiency furnace do not provide hot enough air to evaporate water from evaporator pad or grill as standard furnace would. When I touch hot air duct of my high efficiency furnace it is much culler than my brothers duct and he has old furnace. Rum temperature in my house is around 24C or 76F.
    My question is do HE Furnaces need special kind of humidifiers since they have shorter cycle time and they heat air differently than standard efficiency furnaces? I don’t remember reading anything about special “high efficiency furnace humidifiers” but everything I tried points to that possibility. Is there a bed link between HE Furnace and humidifiers or this is just happening to me?

Thanks
    Dragan
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 22, 2007, 11:26 AM
    A simple cure might be to hook the humidifier water supply line to the hot water and not the cold. This is the cheapest cure to try first. Try to tap the hot water as close to the water heater as possible prefer right at water heater outlet.
    dnagard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Thanks, I will tray that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Amana 80 High Efficiency Furnace [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Can anybody tell me if my Amana 80 SSE furnace has a Thermalcouple? My furnace started cutting out last night and I started asking around and a couple people told me that's what might be the problem. Someone else told me that my type of furnace doesn't have a Thermalcouple, but...

Tempstar high efficiency 5000 not cooling [ 2 Answers ]

I have about a 1998 tempstar and the air conditioner just quiet. The furnace still circulates the air but it is not cool. The top discharge fan on the unit is not running it still spins if you spin it by hand. There is a electrical hum coming from some where in side the unit can't pin point where...

Poor Cooling - Goodman high efficiency [ 11 Answers ]

I have a two year old Goodman unit that does not cool properly. The suction line does not get cold - barely slightly cool. It is a 3-ton high efficiency unit with a 5-ton coil. The orifice size was changed from a 74 to a 73, which is now the recommended size. The pressures were 72 and 190 on a 90...

Do I Need a Humidifier with a High Efficiency Unit? [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to install brand new high efficiency furnace and AC in my 1984 built home north of Toronto. I thought I also needed a humidifier but one of the potential vendors explained that with high efficiency setups the need for a humidier is not obvious and usually unnecessary. What say you?...

High efficiency 5000 heat pump Tempstar [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out if anyone out there would have any idea where I could get a wiring diaghram for a Tempstar Heat pump Called High Efficiency 5000. I believe this is a older model, and there are many out since this one. But the unit is good and I would like to use it. Any suggestions??

View more questions Search