Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neenie68 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Lights turning on by themselves
    Last night a light turned on downstairs by itself. How can this happen? It was very scary and spooky. Nobody was down there and it was definitely turned off when we went to bed. About 2 am it suddenly came on. SHould I be worried? What could have caused this? The light is an electric light with a light switch. Has anyone else known this?

Jan
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 21, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Neenie,

Well you know, Halloween is getting closer and closer as we write notes to each other.

I wouldn't get to worried about it especially if there are toy children or pets that like to jump on things.

Is this light tied to two switches? Or is there a timer in the circuit somewhere?
    nikki_22 Posts: 63, Reputation: 10

Sep 21, 2007, 03:46 PM
    I had this keep happening with the hallway light. It could just be a power surge or something-weird stuff like that can happen. My boyfriend kept saying it was the ghost of his grandma turning the light off. I don't think so. Are you sure someone wasn't in your house? Do u have kids that might have gotten up for a snack or something? Do you have a cat that could have bumped the switch or something? That's weird. We replaced our light to put a fan in and it hasn't done it since. Maybe it was the wiring or something. Do you have a home alarm? If it keeps happening, set up a camera or something. I wouldn't worry too much if it was just one time. Don't know if that helps or not! :)
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2007, 05:35 PM
    Is it a toggle? rotary, electronic? Switch?
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 06:50 PM
    This is a serious response. I'm not being a smart a@#. I had a 100 + year old house, completely remodeled all new wiring etc. Turned out we did have a ghost in that house. Many other things happened besides lights. And it was not just one light but any light in any room. I no longer live there. Sold it and moved on
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2007, 08:59 PM
    I had an x-10 light turned on sometimes when the furnace ran. Had to install a filter at the furnace.
    Yipster Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 10:53 PM
    Have you ever had a problem where the light wouldn't come on when you switched it? I don't know if this is relevant, but I would turn off the power for the light and check the connections on the switch (or switches), and also at the light itself.

I had a clock radio that would reset itself randomly, and a light that turned off and on. Both items were plugged into the same outlet. When I pulled the outlet from the box I found that whoever had installed it had pushed the wires in from the back. This type of connection is referred to as a backstab. Some electrical devices are designed with this feature, making it more quick for the electrician doing the installation.

The problem with using these types of connections is that over time the heat generated by the current can weaken the metal strip holding the wire in the device, and if there is some strain placed on it, the wire can back out of the connection. I simply stripped the wires back a little further, formed a hook, and connected them to the appropriate screw terminals.

See, your mother told you that backstabbing wasn't a good idea, you just didn't realize what she meant... :D
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2007, 11:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Is it a toggle?, rotary, electronic? switch?
    A lot of the switches in my home are toggles and sometimes I will think that I have turned one of them off completely, only to find that later, the light was on. Finding one still on that I thought that I had shut off has mildly freaked me out on occasion. I think that I just didn't completely shut off the toggle switch.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2007, 04:03 AM
    I actually went on a service call, complaint was the garbage disposal would start on it's own, in an empty apartment. Landlord had me there to check the switch, wiring, etc. The switch was new, no splices in the switch box that could short out, good throw on the switch, had to lift handle to turn on. Found no problems.

LL stated then must be his old tenant having fun.

?? What? Explain? What was he talking about?

Tenant had been an elderly gentleman, passed away, they found him collapsed and supported across kitchen counter with hand on switch.

I closed up the box, packed my tools, gave him a no charge service call, and directed him to a priest. Not much more I can do here.

As Strat asked, really need to know the type switch. Any kind of switch can fail or get worn and "short out", or close contacts. Not so much with a standard switch, as the handle needs to be toggled up, against gravity. More popular with other types of switches.

On the topic of ghosts, was installing a paddle fan in a bedroom, (love installing fans, made a ton of money for an easy install). Bedroom was 9x12 and only had a twin bed in the center and a bureau in the corner. Dropped my 6" straight blade screw driver while I was on ladder leaning over bed. Figured I would get it once I was done and came down from ladder. Never did find that screwdriver, it was not under bed, I heard it hit the floor. And was not under the bureau. Beat the hell out of me.Had to buy a new tool.
    BLS1954 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2010, 02:07 PM
    I can tell you that I've been looking for some answers myself. Appliances are turning on all over my house by themselves lately. For instance, the TV in the middle of the night in my bedroom. Or a massage chair in the next room. And keep in mind that I've been there and nobody else is in the house. I'll be in the kitchen and the chair comes on in the den. I'm wondering if electrical surges can cause this but it's also strange that when I went to turn the chair off, it wouldn't turn back on until I unplugged it. I'd think it was just something with the chair if it hadn't happened with the TV in a completely different room while I was sleeping. And it's also happened with a clock-radio... in fact, two DIFFERENT clock radios that had NOT been even touched in months, much less set to go off. This is getting annoying. I mean... how can clock radios come on? I could MAYBE see the TV or chair if surges were to blame, but clock where an actual switch needs to be pushed? I'm at a loss. Any answers are appreciated.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 4, 2010, 08:27 AM

This post is 2 yrs old. Start a new thread.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2010, 08:15 PM
    Yes, it would be best for someone to start a new thread who has similar questions because this thread is the thread of someone else, is now old and archived and no longer visible on the list of currently active threads.

Thanks!
    obstante Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2011, 04:16 PM
    I am on similar situation. Very often when I go sleep, I am sure of turning off the lights. But when I wake up, the lights are ON. This has happened in my house back home, and happens also in my rented apt. So I doubt it is a haunted house or whatever, but it is quite spooky because now every time I go sleep I wonder if the lights will be turned on when I wake up...

My family is Christian and so am I, though not a hardcore one. They tell me to pray. Maybe I should start praying, but the question is... could these be harmful in any way? I mean, aside the spookiness of the lights turning on by itself, nothing else bad could come out of it, could it?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 28, 2011, 04:29 PM

This has happened in my house back home, and happens also in my rented apt.
    Unless there is some kind of electronic switches involved, both at your previous home and also in you present apartment, it would appear that the common denominator is you. Do you have an any history of sleep walking?
    kc001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2011, 06:37 PM
    Had something similar happen recently to my husband lately who was home overnight alone. TV and computer in separate rooms both caqme on within a short time of each other on full blast. Did you find a resolution or reason to your experience ?

Apr 18, 2011, 11:48 PM
    No resolution to my personal experience. The reason I originally posted was hoping that the people running this site could provide some explanation before I had to pay an electrician to come to my home, which I eventually did. All wiring checked out perfectly. No explanation for the different devices turning on in different rooms at different times. And hkstroud... if you were asking me personally about sleepwalking... the answer is "no". Tough to sleepwalk when you're standing in your kitchen and the TV turns on 20 feet from you with nobody else in the house at 5pm. And just to nip another question in the bud if anyone happens to hit on it... the remote control is put into a drawer when it isn't in use. So it couldn't have been accidentally hit or fallen off a platform and turned the TV on. Plus, it doesn't explain lights and a radio turning on by themselves either at other completely different times on different days, weeks apart.
    sbah90 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Aug 15, 2011, 02:06 AM
    I have the same problem I have 2 kids and I live in a townhome and round 4am just nowe) the radio turned on full blast speaker radio by itself and I was alone upstairs sleeping with my 2 little onesn thisd hasd happened twice already

Aug 15, 2011, 11:15 AM
    No... never found an answer or any reason for the quirky electrical problems. Hey didn't happen with any regularity though, fortunately. Just maybe once a month or so. Since my first writing I've relocated to a new State. We'll see if these things follow me in my new home.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2011, 12:51 PM

Power glitches of some sort almost always turn on an Internet radio that I have.

I had a TV tuner that would do it also and an audio signal processor.

The power on reset circuitry wasn't smart enough.

I built a microprocessor controlled toy crane and it would do it to until I fixed the manufacturer's reset signal of the single board computer. A supply that powered up quickly would work. One that was slow powering up (linear) occasionally would not.

So, those issues may be device related. I will agree, the full volume thing is annoying. There were warnings for the tuner not to leave it plugged in when you went away.

Generated a decent power on reset signal used to cost some bucks for manufacturers to do, so they used an ineffective one.

Aug 15, 2011, 01:35 PM
    Why? You found it, didn't you? Besides... it started 2 years ago. Better to establish a timeline in my opinion. However, you've been here and obviously monitor questions and answers so if I have further posts to make I'll honor your wishes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1994 MGM, Parking lights and side marker lights not working? [ 5 Answers ]

MY parking lights and side marker lights are not working, also my gauge lights are not working. When I press the brakes, all my lights work, my headlights also work and my turn signals and hazard lights turn on, but my inside gauge lights, side marker lights, and parking lights are not on. What...

Child turning 25 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a child turning 25 in April 2007, she is a full time student and lives at home. I know that insurance can only cover until she turns 25. I heard that once she turns 25 I cannot claim her as a dependent any longer as well. So, if I keep her on my insurance until she turns 25 in April am I...

TV keeps turning itself off - why? [ 8 Answers ]

I have had my TV for 3 years, over the last few days it turns itself off. This happens 2-3 times a day, about every 20mins or so. Is it telling me its on its last legs or does anyone think its worth repairing? Does anyone have any answers - caby2

Cooling but then turning off [ 6 Answers ]

We have a Carrier AC unit that is about 9 years old. If the unit has been off for a while and we turn it on it runs fine-both the fan and the outside unit. It cools the house and everything seems fine. Then at some point the outside unit stops while the fan inside is still blowing. I'll turn it...

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

View more questions Search