Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hippie mii Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 05:30 PM
    independent flips of a coin
    Independent flips of a coin that lands on heads with probability p are made. What is the probability that the first four outcomes are
    A: H,H,H,H?
    B: T,H,H,H?
    C: what is the probability that the pattern T,H,H,H occurs before the pattern H,H,H,H?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 21, 2007, 07:31 AM
    I'll get you started with the first problem, then let us know whether this helps you get through the others.

With each flip of a fair coin, the probability of getting a heads is 1/2. Now think about the probability of getting two heads in a row - half the time you'll get that first heads, and then if that is successful half the time you'll get a second head. So the probability of getting two heads in a row is 1/2 * 1/2, or 1/4. Another way to think of this is that for two flips of a coin there are 4 possible outcomes:
    HH
    HT
    TH
    TT
    All of these outcomes are equally likely, and only one satisfies the condition of 2 heads in a row; consequently the probability of getting two heads in a row is 1 out of 4 or 1/4.

Now, can you extend this line of reasoning to determine the probability of getting 4 heads in a row? How about the probability of 1 tail followed by 3 heads?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Air compressor ac motor flips breaker after delay [ 5 Answers ]

Hello thank you for taking the time to look/answer my question. That being said my problem is with a ac motor for a air compressor it worked fine then all of a sudden it started to throw the breaker. It will start and run fine for about 5-7 seconds then it will flip the breaker. Any advise will be...

Coin Value [ 1 Answers ]

I have several old coins and a silver certificate and I would like to know what the value of them are.:rolleyes: I have an 1884 silver dollar coin/ an 1899 silver dollar coin/ a 1922 Peace dollar coin/ a 1937 Indian head/buffalo nickel and a 1957 B silver certificate. What are they worth, if...

What Coin is this? [ 2 Answers ]

I've had this coin for maybe 10 or more years... now I have no idea what it is.. I know it's a Franklin mint but can't quite really read the year... one side has this mans face looking side ways and has the name sir modred on it and the other side has some english figure... no other words... if any...

Main breaker flips off before lesser breakers go [ 1 Answers ]

My problem is the main breaker in the house will flip off before any of the smaller specific breakers flip off. Something is getting overloaded but the smaller breakers are not taking the load.

Hitting keyboard arrow flips my monitor display! [ 5 Answers ]

Here's a brand new one on me. I just hit the right arrow on my keyboard and my monitor display went sideways... with the top of the page on the right. Hit the left arrow and the top goes to the left. Hit the up arrow and it goes back to normal. What the heck? Is there a key combination...

View more questions Search