46. Changing Manual Transmission Fluid Check fluid level with engine OFF and car on level ground
1. Warm engine to normal operating temperature.
2. Remove oil filler plug, using a 17 mm box-end wrench.
3. Remove drain plug, using a 3/8-inch ratchet wrench, and drain oil into a suitable pan.
4. Reinstall drain plug (using a new aluminum crush washer) and torque to 4.0 kg-m (29 lb-ft).
5. Add 1.8 liter (1.9 qt) of manual synchromesh transmission fluid, such as Amsoil 5W-30 Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF), using a long-neck, transmission funnel. Alternatives are to add tubing to an existing funnel or use a pump. The oil level must be up to the filler hole.
6. Reinstall oil filler plug (using a new aluminum crush washer) and torque to 4.5 kg-m (33 lb-ft).
7. Update Maintenance Log.
8. Recycle old fluid. No longer use 10W-30 or 10W-40 engine oil as manual transmission oil. Present engine oil formulations can damage the yellow metals in the synchros. Change every 30,000 miles or 24 months, whichever comes first