Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Noroses Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Can a RECENT felon get a job?
    I saw a post from a Google search on this site from an IT guy whose felony was ages ago having trouble getting a good job. Well he got a good job it sounds like, but then the company's client (a bank) doesn't like him. Well I've got a new problem. My felony is still pretty fresh.

How did that guy get experience and references to get where he is today? How do you get a decent job when you just got a felony??

Please don't make light of my question, folks. I'm not trying to be a whiny baby, which I hate. I just need to know if there are any secrets or tricks I need to know about. Because the whole 100% honest thing doesn't seem to be working for me.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, in advance.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Being honest about your felony. There are places where having a felony will not harm you but you need to be honest about it. If you withhold that fact and then they find out, you will be out of there.

What job placement tools have you utilized? Job Service? A private employment agency such as Spherion or one like that? Are you eligible for any job training programs? I have known some people who have felonies who were able to get assistance with their state's Vocational Rehabilitation. I do not know your exact position. But it is worth asking about. Can you go back to school? Good luck in finding employment.
    nazukeoya Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Nov 5, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Noroses
    I saw a post from a google search on this site from an IT guy whose felony was ages ago having trouble getting a good job. Well he got a good job it sounds like, but then the company's client (a bank) doesn't like him. Well I've got a new problem. My felony is still pretty fresh.

How did that guy get experience and references to get where he is today? How do you get a decent job when you just got a felony???

Please don't make light of my question, folks. I'm not trying to be a whiny baby, which I hate. I just need to know if there are any secrets or tricks I need to know about. Because the whole 100% honest thing doesn't seem to be working for me.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, in advance.
    How I Got A Job As A Felon - 2 Months After Conviction:

I recently was sentenced in August/2007 for software piracy, putting a felony on my record. I graduated in 2004 with a degree in Graphic Design.

2 months after I was sentenced, I was offered a job doing graphic design work for a prominent dentist office in my area. I told them of the felony and explained what happened and they were OK with it in the end. The #1 reason I got the job was because of God. I give Him all the glory. But even with God's help, I had to put the effort into getting the job. This was my strategy:

First impressions. I knew that there is a prejudice against felons. So I knew that the only way past this prejudice was to have the employer meet me as a person, and get them to like me. I acted nice and curteous to them. I knew that if their first impression of me was of a nice and talented guy, then when I told them of my felony, instead of viewing my felony through their prejudice, they would view my felony through my good first impression.

The problem is that on normal job apps you have to put down the felony. So what I did was apply to places where I just had to email them a resume, no application. So I got a call, interviewed, they offered me the position, I gave them a yes 2 days later and told them of the felony then, a week later they called to say that everything checked out well.

Manipulation is the key. Go for jobs where you don't have to send in a normal application. That way you can choose the right time to tell them of the felony. :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Kekemonster - You have posted this same site 9 times while explaining that you get paid for "on line services" and are featured on the site -

These posts should be pulled as they serve no one's interest but your own.

PS - now it's 10 times and you've gone from a convicted felon to a handicapped person.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

Felon with HazMat wants Trucking Job [ 4 Answers ]

I have a felony that is six years old and I want to get into OTR Trucking. The idea that I can't because of not being able to get a HazMat does not apply. I received my HazMat in June of this year and have a class b cdl. Any good ideas wherer I can go to actually get an OTR Trucking job?

Felon that can't find a job [ 4 Answers ]

My Boyfreind has a couple of felonies what kind of jobs can he get?? Hes having a lot of trouble finding one that doesn't require a drivers license.

Felon applying for mgt job, needs bonding, can that happen? [ 2 Answers ]

I have an offer on the table from Burger King, the problem is a six year old felony. Can I be bonded, asked by the recruiter. Help please.

View more questions Search