Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Father Rick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2005, 06:54 AM
    Restoring a Flash Drive (instead of re-formatting it)
    I have a flash drive with a number of items on it that I need.

When I go to access the drive, which I have used for the past couple of months, I now get an error message saying that the drive is not formatted and needs to be formatted. I know that if I re-format it, I'll lose all my work on it.

Is there any way to restore the drive so that I can still access the files?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2005, 09:37 AM
    I'm sorry to not be able to be encouraging, but that message is a strong indicator that the drive has gone bad.

There are a variety of software products that claim the ability to restore data from bad drives... but frankly I've rarely had luck with them.

If it were me I'd try searching for "recovery" software at www.download.com...try a few of them out and cross my fingers big time.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 20, 2005, 09:20 AM
    Hi, I've had some luck with PC Inspector file recovery - freeware:

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

Worth a try!

Never install the recovery software onto the drive you're trying to recover files from!
    samboy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2005, 03:59 AM
    Hello,

EaseUs DataRecoveryWizard utility can help. Speaking about me, it was
    Easily able to restore deleted, lost file and unformat drive,
    So I think you will also find it quite useful. Really recommended
    Tool, give it a try.
    WaseemOnLine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 05:11 PM
    Follow these steps, and your problem will be solved:
    1. Go to Run by pressing 'Windows' + 'R'
    2. Write 'cmd'
    3. Now write 'chkdsk /f h:'
    ('H' is the name of your hard drive)
    Follow ordinary steps, and your hard will be recover everything without formatting it.
    Best wishes

WaseemOnLine
    Waseem Dabbas
    yabi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2012, 11:52 PM
    I did what you said but it gives following error message:

The type of the file system is RAW.
    CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.
    iameeviac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 06:12 AM
    I used the CMD command on a flash pen drive when it was giving me the "this drive needs to be formatted" message. It told me that there were errors in the boot files. I ran data recovery, got what I could, and reformatted. Now, when I run the chkdsk command, it tells me everything is working fine. However, the drive still wants to be formatted a 2nd time when I use it in PCs other than my laptop at home.

If it was corrupted to begin with, can a format actually fix that corruption? I'm not sure if I should be wary of this drive after its previous behavior. It made me lose nearly all the photos and videos of my children and family-- a lot of priceless memories.
    WaseemOnLine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2012, 03:28 AM
    If chkdsk /f h: doesn't work, you may format it and then recover your files by a recovery software like 'recover my files'
    genevev Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2012, 08:13 AM
    Same experienced! The file system is raw, chkdsk is not available for raw
    graham3D Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2012, 09:13 AM
    I tried chkdsk /f g: and got the message
    "
    CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.
    "
    :(
    cooleyes_777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2012, 11:21 PM
    Thanks, it really recovered my data.
    cooleyes_777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2012, 11:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WaseemOnLine View Post
    Follow these steps, and your problem will be solved:
    1. Go to Run by pressing 'Windows' + 'R'
    2. Write 'cmd'
    3. Now write 'chkdsk /f h:'
    ('H' is the name of ur hard drive)
    follow ordinary steps, and your hard will be recover everything without formatting it.
    Best wishes

WaseemOnLine
    Waseem Dabbas
    Thanks it recovered my data.
    mamapapa12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2012, 07:57 PM
    You can try the following two steps to let everything be OK.

1. You need to apply a recovery program to restore all your data, such as iCare Data Recovery Free and Recuva can be the good ones of them, they are both professional and efficient I restoring your data and they are both free.

2. You need format your disk to make it work well again in the future after the recovering.
    javaengineer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2012, 12:37 AM
    Under this circumstance, you can only choose to format your memory card, if you want to use it well again as before. But for the safety of your data on it, you need a recovery program to restore all your data at first, such as iCare Data Recovery Free and Recuva, they are both professional and efficient I restoring your data and they are both free.
    You can get them :
    Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download
    iCare Data Recovery Free - CNET Download.com
    karengrimes94 Posts: 102, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2012, 10:32 PM
    In the same prompt error message you will Scan and fix (recommended) option.
    Go for it and it will automatically scan and fix file system errors.
    So now your flash drive is restored with available data.
    jijiudadama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2012, 11:01 PM
    According to your description, you need to format your drive as the message says, if you want to let it work well again.
    However, in order to access your files there, you need a recovery program, which often can scan your drive and restore your lost data there.
    Actually, there are a piles of recovery programs out there, especially as you search on the internet.Some of them are good recovery programs, you could have a try before you forma the drive.
    Smyligerl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2013, 12:08 PM
    I tried I tried chkdsk /f e:
    And got this message:
    Can not open volume for direct access
    berylrose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2013, 02:13 AM
    Hey.. my removable drive become 0KB.
    What I going to do?
    Always say need to format
    I don't want to format it
    Vickie749 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2013, 12:00 AM
    All right! I had experienced the same problem a few days ago. So, I come here to share my story with you.

Here is my issue:
    I have a WD external hard drive that contained all of my files. However, after plunging it to my computer as usual, a message popped out and asked me to format it at first.

But, I knew I could not do that, if I still wanted to access my inner files. So, in order to restore my data, I have tried a great number of drive data recovery freeware online, such as Recuva, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.
    Fortunately, they all worked well on my drive and restored all of my data back, especially the last free one that has eventually retrieved the largest amount of my data.

So, I hope my words also could help others.
    Vickie749 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2013, 12:04 AM
    All right! I had experienced the same problem a few days ago. So, I come here to share my story with you.

Here is my issue:
    I have a WD external hard drive that contained all of my files. However, after plunging it to my computer as usual, a message popped out and asked me to format it at first.

But, I knew I could not do that, if I still wanted to access my inner files. So, in order to restore my data, I have tried a great number of drive data recovery freeware online, such as Recuva, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.
    Fortunately, they all worked well on my drive and restored all of my data back, especially the last free one that has eventually retrieved the largest amount of my data.

So, I hope my words also could help others.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Flash Drive Access Route Restoring [ 1 Answers ]

How do I restore the access route or path to my flash drive. I had a document opened from my flash drive when my PC shut down and I had to remove the flash drive in order to start the PC up again. Now when I try to open the flash drive again, it says the path has not been restored and I have lost...

PC no longer recognises Imation USB 2.0 Flash Drive [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ALL My Imation USB 2.0 Flash Drive used to work on my PC but now it does not. It works on other PC's and my laptop but not on my home PC. When I plug it in the message "USB device Not Recognised" appears with the message One of the USB devices attached to your computer has malfunctioned...

Formatting/partitioning an external drive [ 1 Answers ]

Having troubles w/formatting my external LaCie drive. Drive is empty - I just want to split it in 3 or 4 partitions. Disc utility is quitting on me. I'm running OSX. What else can I use to format my drive? :confused: 24 hours and not even 1 reply!! :mad: What kind of forum is that?

USB flash drive problems in windows XP [ 4 Answers ]

Hii, Whenever I plugin any kind of usb flash drive to my gateway profile 5 machines running windows xp(sp2) the computer reboots automatically before detecting the drive. I think this problem started after installing sp2 in my machine. This problem is really frustating. Any kind of help or...

View more questions Search