Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carey81 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 04:47 PM
    How do I have the father of my unborn child?
    If I have the father of my unborn baby sign away his rights he thinks I would have the right to go after him for child support. Am I right that he wouldn't have to pay child support?
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 05:06 PM
    No, signing away rights only gives up every ounce of say in the child's life, you still have to pay child support...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 14, 2007, 05:13 PM
    To elaborate on what Al said, signing away rights only means that he will not have any decisions regarding the health and well being of your child. He will still be financially responsible to take care of the child.

That basically means that if there is a medical emergency (just as an example) and you want the procedure done, then he cannot protest it. That is just one example.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Why would you not want child support? Are you afraid that it would create some kind of closeness you do not want him to have? Or give him an opportunity to be in the life of you and your baby?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 14, 2007, 08:05 PM
    First nothing at all can be done till the child is born,

Next he is correct, except in cases where there is a new partner to adopt, signing away "rights" does not stop obligation of child support. Even if you did not ask for any, if you or the child would latter receive state welfare the state can go after him for that.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2007, 08:42 AM
    No, you're not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want my unborn child'd father to sign his rights over [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, Im not sure how this all works, but. I was dating this guy and a month into the relationship I ended up pregnant. When I was about 3 months pregnant we broke up. He declares that the baby is not his (even though it is) he doesn't believe me. He wants a DNA test done to see if it is and if it is...

Unborn child [ 4 Answers ]

I am a 27 year old male with a 22 girlfriend that is pegnent and I want to keep the baby and she does not what are my rights Thank you

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

Father who wants nothing to do with unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

What to do with the father that wants nothing to do with our unborn child. He threatens me with a attorney to get a abortion

Child custody of an unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

My question is concerning my sister, she moved to this state I live in now, only a year ago,to live with me, she got pregnant by some guy she was seeing, when he started beating her up she left him,(she was only 2 months pregnant at this time) now she's 7 months pregnant and we are moving back...

View more questions Search