Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twolford Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 04:40 PM
    AC Unit Running but No air through Vents
    I have a 2 story home and the AC unit for the bottom floor is not working properly. Unit is running outside, but no air period is coming out of the vents. I went into the crawlspace and nothing is blocking the duct work. I opened the panel on the side of the AC unit and the coil has frost on it. I don't think it is frozen. I turned the unit off for about 20 minutes and when I started it back up, I noticed the frost on the coils was very distinct. But there wasn't any air being circulated into the duct. Not sure what is going on...
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Is the blower motor coming on ? Is the air filter clean?

Sep 14, 2007, 04:47 PM
    How can I tell if the blower motor is coming on? Is it on the unit itself?
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 04:53 PM
    It is the fan and motor that pushes the air through the vents. It is located in the air handler(inside unit)

Sep 14, 2007, 04:55 PM
    The only fan that was running on the unit was the exterior fan on the top of the unit.
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Then you have a problem with the blower motor. Do you hear any noise from it? Check and see if you have power to it. Motor could be bad, capacitor could be bad, cold be the relay. It is just going to take some testing. Do you have a volt meter and know how to use it?

Sep 14, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Just checked the blower... It is working and there is hot air coming out of the square vent on the side of the unit.
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Hot air as in heating? The motor is running but not coming out the vents?

Sep 14, 2007, 05:16 PM
    The hot air is coming out of the exhaust return. No air coming out of the vents inside the home.
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 05:23 PM
    So your blower motor is not running. Need to test to see if the motor is getting power or if the motor is bad.

Sep 14, 2007, 05:26 PM
    There seems to be a noise like it is running... It sounds like 2 fans are running on the unit itself. Does a fan push the hot air out of the exhaust?
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Do you see ice on the evaporator coil?

Sep 14, 2007, 05:40 PM
    After It was off for about 20 minutes, I turned it back on and frost was evident on the coil. I put my hands on it and it was really cold, it may have been frozen. But wouldn't I still get some kind of air coming out of the vents inside? I am getting no air at all when I put my hand over the vent, and the unit outside keeps running. When I was in the crawlspace it did not seem like any air was being moved through the duct work.
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 05:46 PM
    If it is blocked with frost or ice it can block the airflow. Let it sit off until all the frost is gone then start up and see if air is moving thorough the vent. Is the air filter clean? Have you checked for any obstruction or blockage in the supply duct past the coil near the air handler?

Sep 14, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Filters are clean. I changed them every 30 days. Just changed last week.

I will switch it off all night and see how it does in the morning. I hope this will give it enough time to thaw if it is frozen. Thanks for your help... I will let you know tomorrow.

Sep 15, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Pulled off side panel where blower is located. It is not running at all. I think the motor may be bad.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 06:54 AM
    I think you are correct. Are you getting power to the motor? Disconnect the power and spin the motor by hand. Does it move easy and smoothly?

Sep 15, 2007, 06:56 AM
    How do I test the power? All power connected seems to be OK...

Sep 15, 2007, 07:24 AM
    I traced the wires and the area were the wires connect to the circuit board has a black substance on it where they connect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air blows cold then stops but unit is still running [ 5 Answers ]

Our ac will be working great and then all of a sudden stop blowing cold air, room temperature air will blow instead which heats the house up quick. If we turn the unit off for an hour or two it normally starts to blow cold air again once it's back on. We've checked to see if the unit if frozen...

Dripping air vents [ 2 Answers ]

Water is dripping from an air vent when the a/c is running. Any suggestions as to why and how to repair?

Central air unit fan not turning when unit on [ 3 Answers ]

Recently our central air unit stop producing cool air and noticed our fan was not turning outside, and was making a loud humming noise, can this fan be replaced without replacing the entire unit :confused:

Knocking in central air while unit is not running [ 1 Answers ]

I am hearing loud knocking noises inside the air handler unit of my central air/heat unit located in my attic. This knocking is intermittent and I have only heard it while the unit is not running. I did not notice the noise until the winter and I started using the heat. Any ideas of what this...

View more questions Search