Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randydover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2005, 11:07 AM
    Central unit freezing up
    Our central unit out side frost over when the temp outside get below 35 degrees we have tried to just turn on the fan but you have to have the heat on for the fan to work can you tell what's going on
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2005, 12:42 PM
    Frosts up
    Hi,
    Many heat pumps have a "defrost" cycle; i.e. at certain times during the heating cycle, it will supply heat to the unit itself, defrosting itself. This is controlled by a sensor, and is turned on automatically by a small relay part.
    It could be that this small relay is bad, not allowing the defroster to come on.
    Has it, in the past, stopped running outside, and defrosted itself? If so, and won't come on now, I would call a repair person to check it out.
    Best of luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2005, 02:04 PM
    Which fan are you trying to get to run, the one on the outside compressor, or the one that circulates the air in the house? Most HVAC systems have a fan only option controlled by a switch on the thermostat. If your system has such a switch, but the fan won't work in the ''Fan on'' position, but does work with either the heat or cooling, the problem likely is with the switch or its wiring. Usually the switch switches the red wire from the transformer in the furnace to a green wire connected to the G terminal at both the thermostat and furnace. Power then flows to the coil of the same relay as powers the fan in cooling mode. Often heat mode uses a separate relay and a lower speed winding in the fan motor. In this case, it sounds like the switch is bad or a wire loose, which you should be able to find and easily fix yourself. Check it, and post back with the details if you need more help. If your system is a heat pump, they often use other wire colors and markings.

If the coil is freezing up outside on a heat pump, it may be low on Freon, or the valves that control the mode could have malfunctioned.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Dec 3, 2005, 01:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by randydover
    our central unit out side frost over when the temp outside get below 35 degrees we have tried to just turn on the fan but you have to have the heat on for the fan to work can you tell whats goin on
    heat pump don't work very well when outside air temperature approach freezing ; very little heat (entropy) could be extract out of freezing air, that why the outside coil freez up... ( ** that is when the supplement heater kick on)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central a/c unit [ 3 Answers ]

My a/c unit when I woke up this morning wasn't working it was 80 in my house. The fan on the unit outside isn't turning. The inside is working.

Contactor is not being activated on central air unit [ 2 Answers ]

What activates the contactor relay on a central air unit.

Central air unit staying on? [ 15 Answers ]

I've noticed over the past two weeks that our central air unit is staying on most of the day. We have it set at 75 and have it on AUTO. Now I know when it hits 76 that its suppose to kick on.. and kick off at 74 right? Well the problem is that it will run for about 6 hours during the day and not...

AC freezing up. [ 5 Answers ]

Installed it all and charged it on Sunday. Coil is 2" above furnace, called a guy to braze pipes and check pressure. Said all was fine and good. Air was good and cold but it was clear some ductwork needed to be done so I am planning that, but I got plenty of return air and now I also got an inch...

Knocking in central air while unit is not running [ 1 Answers ]

I am hearing loud knocking noises inside the air handler unit of my central air/heat unit located in my attic. This knocking is intermittent and I have only heard it while the unit is not running. I did not notice the noise until the winter and I started using the heat. Any ideas of what this...

View more questions Search