Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjkramer7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 06:50 PM
    How can I watch my 8mm videos without the video camera?
    Hi! My Sony 8mm video camera hasn't worked in a couple of years and I have a collection of videos I want to watch. Aside from buying a new camera of fixing the old one, do you know of any way to watch these videos? Is there any sort of adapter I can get? I tried Circuit City and Best Buy and they had no suggestions. THANK YOU!
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 08:17 PM
    I had a camera that used a tape larger than the 8 MM, I think it was call C cartridge and I was able to buy an adapter that it fit in and then would play in a regular VHF.
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Sep 10, 2007, 07:59 AM
    To my knowledge there is no such adapter for 8MM. VHS-C does have an adapter because the tape size is the same a VHS (1/2") the cartridge just pops into a standard VHS sized cartridge and it works fine. With 8MM, well the tape is 8MM and will not play in a VHS unit.
    bolt in blue Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Sep 20, 2007, 08:42 AM
    It's possible to buy an 8MM VCR, but they were hard to find in the day and are very rare now. Your best bet is probably to buy a used 8MM or Hi8 camera off eBay if you're looking to do it on the cheap. Some Digital8 cameras can play Hi8 tapes, not sure about regular 8MM, but could be worth a look as well.

There is no adapter for 8MM --> VHS. It's not possible because they use different tapes, running speeds, and recording methods.

Do note that if you get another 8MM camera or player, you can play the 8MM tapes and record the output to your VHS VCR or a DVD recorder so you can watch the movies later without the 8MM camera. That's what we did with all the old family videos.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

8mm Tape Head Cleaning [ 5 Answers ]

I'm using high end (pro oxide and metal) Sony tapes in several camcorders, but periodically the heads get dirty, and need to be cleaned. I've used chamois cleaning sticks, dry cleaning tapes, and in desperation, copier paper wetted with isopropyl alcohol. But it seems that about every 50 to...

Ripping DVD Video to VCD Video [ 1 Answers ]

How can I rip my DVD video to VCD Video files. Is there out any freeware to do this. Please let me know the link for that. Thanx:rolleyes:

How to put videos on my iPod video FOR PC! [ 1 Answers ]

I can't figure out how to do it, I have tried a few different programs but can't get them to work. My buddy uses handbrake for his MAC, but that doesn't help me much. I need something that will work for my PC version, can someone help me out here?

View more questions Search