Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinkslm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Engagement while still married
    Please can you help me? I am in a serious relationship, but I am still married, we have been separated for nearly a year and are looking into divorce. Is it illegal to get engaged, whilst still married to someone else? I know it is illegal to marry
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 9, 2007, 02:56 PM
    What a recommendation for disaster. Engaged whilst still married to someone else. Get one problem solved and then move on to the next PROBLEM.

Why would two people have this much trouble visited on them.
    saraispiel19 Posts: 670, Reputation: 115
    -

Sep 9, 2007, 02:58 PM
    No it isn't-- but hun don't open one door before closing the other..
    saraispiel19 Posts: 670, Reputation: 115
    -

Sep 9, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    thats unusual, odd/you are agreeing/disagreeing. You havent offered a solution to the problem
    No I αnswered her question-- it is not illegαl.. if they αre legαlly seperαted or hαve come to α mutuαl understαnding of well being seperαted it's not illegαl..

She'll just hαve to wαit till the divorce is finiαlized to get mαrried therefore my comment "don't close one door before closing the other" comes in.

-don't "reddie" α comment if you don't understαnd it correctly, thαnks:)
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 9, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by saraispiel19
    no it isn't-- but hun don't open one door before closing the other..
    Sara answered the question but recommended patience.
    No need to get trigger happy w/ reddies!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 9, 2007, 04:24 PM
    The solution is that you get divorced before dating or getting seroius about anyone. And for sure you don't get enganged.

I guess you could plan a divorce and wedding party all in one.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 07:08 PM
    I don't believe that an engagement has any legal weight at all. It's just a promise to marry someone, not a contract or other legal document. So, no, it's not illegal to get engaged while still married. Bad manners, yes. And I agree with the others who say that you should resolve the first marriage before making plans for the second.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2007, 03:31 PM
    No, it's not illegal to get engaged. You just can't get married until the divorce is finalized.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Always finding reasons not to get married after two years of engagement [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know how to start except from the beginning. My fiance' and I got engaged two years ago. Both of us had been in a twenty year marriage. He said he stayed in his because of his daughter and when she graduated and left home he did too. So he felt trapped in that marriage. When we got engaged...

Broken engagement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I think I just need someone else's perspective here... I've been dating a guy for almost 4 years now. In that time I would say he's probably broken up with me at least 10 times. Each time he in incredibly hurtful and mean. But then he calls in a day or two and acts like the sweetest person...

Engagement announcement [ 2 Answers ]

When you receive an engagement announcement, do you have to send a gift?

Old Engagement Ring [ 24 Answers ]

Should you give it back if you changed your mind or accept it because it was a gift?

Engagement Gift [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. Well one of my very good friends just got engaged recently and I wanted to know if its approprate to get him/her a sort of congratulation gift, or is that a bad idea. Should I just save my money and wait for the wedding? :)

View more questions Search