Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tyron Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2007, 11:16 AM
    How to adjust valves on Ohv 16.5 briggs & Stratton
    I would like to know who to adjust the valves on a 16.5 briggs & stratton ohv engine.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Bring the piston to TDC. Intake=.003-.005 and exhaust=.005-.007
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 07:29 PM
    I always go 1/4" past tdc
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 07:34 PM
    You are correct, 1/4" past TDC

Sep 3, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    i always go 1/4" past tdc
    I'll try that. I think I was at TDC. Is that when the exhaust valve is closing and the intake valve is opening? If so I set the exhaust at .006 and the intake at .004. But I didn't go 1/4. I'll go try that now, thanks.
    Tyron
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2007, 04:31 PM
    NO NO NO, both valves are closed when you are at TDC. But remember, go 1/4" past tdc to set valves.

Sep 4, 2007, 03:38 PM
    NO NO NO, both valves are closed when you are at TDC. but remember, go 1/4" past tdc to set valves.
    Ok, thanks. I went 1/4" past and I can't seem to get the engine to turn a complete 4-stroke cycle. It always stops when the intake valve shuts at the beginning of the compression stroke.
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 05:01 PM
    Well when you hit compression stroke you will feel resistance. Try turning the flywheel by hand with the spark plug removed. If you still have resistance, stop, we need to look further into your problems. But I feel that it is only compression.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 05:53 PM
    I am pretty darn sure you should not feel compression with the plug removed, compression againist what. Mowerman is correct.

Sep 4, 2007, 07:36 PM
    well when you hit compression stroke you will feel resistance. try turning the flywheel by hand with the spark plug removed. if you still have resistance, stop, we need to look further into your problems. but i feel that it is only compression.

Ok thanks, I have turned the flywheel by hand and by the starter without the plug in. It turns great until I put the plug in. I made the adjustments to the valves and still the same thing. I just replaced the starter. From the outside it looks like the one I had on it. Do you think inside, it is not strong enough to turn the engine over? I have a 16.5 hp engine.
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2007, 07:55 PM
    o.k. if the valves are correct, it is probably the compression release on the cam. Even though briggs greatly improved the durability of these releases in the last 5 or so years. But I feel the valves need looked into again.
    selmore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2009, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468 View Post
    NO NO NO, both valves are closed when you are at TDC. but remember, go 1/4" past tdc to set valves.
    It took me awhile to figure out how you find top dead center.
    sirchin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2009, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by selmore View Post
    It took me awhile to figure out how you find top dead center.
    I need to adjust my valves as well. Only I have a 15 1/2 hp briggs engine. Do the same rules apply, as far as the settings go? Or are they different?
    selmore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2009, 07:43 PM
    Yes I'm assuming you have dual overhead cam. I saw a video on YouTube that explains it

Main thing I ran into is top dead center (the point where the piston is highest) is not the place to have both valves closed. You'd think it would be, it being combustion and all, but for some reason, it's a little past it where the combustion occurs.

Anyway when the vavves are closed at the wrong place there's too much compression for the starter to turn and I've burned two starters, and replaced a batttery trying to figure this out. You thunk the starter salesman otr the bgattry salesman would have known. Oh well
    Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 14.5 HP OHV No Compression [ 3 Answers ]

My Riding mower has an 8 year old Briggs & Stratton 14.5 HP OHV Engine. Engine always maintained properly and has run well. While mowing, engine ran well for an hour and then suddenly quit for a split second, and backfired as it came back to life. I continued to mow and it did it again, the third...

Briggs & Stratton 16.5 OHV [ 19 Answers ]

I have a B&S 16.5 OHV MTD Yardman that will not turn over even though the starter and battery are OK. It will turn to a point and then stops. If I remove the spark plug it turns freely like it should. I know that removes the pressure in the cylinder but I don't know what could cause it to bind...

Briggs & Stratton 16.5 hp OHV Single crankcase fills with gas [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Yard Machines Riding Lawn Mower with a 16.5 HP Briggs and Stratton Single Cylinder OHV that is filling the crankcase with fuel, gasoline. This happens within an hour of mowing. I have dumped the oil twice now and it fills the crankcase within an hour of operation. It is not...

Briggs & Stratton 14.5hp OHV - Won't Run [ 8 Answers ]

I have a yard machine mower that was running great. It shut off in the middle of cutting and that was that. If I pour gas in the carb it tries to start, so I know I have fire. I have plenty of gas going to the carb and the solenoid on the bottom is working fine. I had the carb off, took the main...

Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 16HP OHV No Spark? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, Seen several threads along this line but nothing that seems to help me. I have a Briggs & Stratton Model 303777 Vanguard (on a 1994 Snapper SR170 Rider). The engine turns over well, but will not start. I am not getting any "thump" when it turns. I am not hearing any clicking from the...

View more questions Search