Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    problem-child Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2007, 07:35 AM
    Single phase vs 3 phase
    I have a situation where a customer wants to introduce/hookup an single phase 3 wire 18 kVA UPS to a 3 phase 4 wire panel and the UPS will be used to power a single phase 3 wire panel. The only thing the 3 phase panel will be used for is to power the single phase UPS. The entire building is 3 phase. The UPS single phase panel will be loaded to about 11 kVA to power sensitive computerized equipment. What problems will be experienced with this type of scenerio? Phase surges, spikes or suges? Neutral over loading problems? The UPS coming on prematurely?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2007, 11:56 AM
    18 kVA UPS is small, will not cause too much imbalance, esp if any of the equipment is 208-240 volts.

The neutral in the 3 ph panel should see no additional load, the feed to the UPS should be straight 208 volt.

Anything 20 or over should really be 3 phase thou.

The UPS output is now considered as a Separately Derived System, and neutral of the UPS output must be bonded to the equipment ground, and connect to grounding electrode, such as building steel, city water at the point of entrance, or the system ground for the building.

If the equipment is all in one room or closet, this is now considered as an IT room, and there must be a Emergency Power Off button at the door to kill the UPS system in the event of fire.

Check with local codes for fire suppression and detection system requirements.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between single phase and 3-phase motors [ 4 Answers ]

Difference between single phase and 3-phase motors

Three phase vs. Single phase [ 3 Answers ]

What benefits would you have running a three phase service as opposed to running single phase.

3 Phase vs. Single Phase [ 8 Answers ]

I am struggling with the difference between 3-phase and single phase and the advantages/disadvantages to both. Could someone help me with this, or point me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

How am I going to size my 3 phase X'mer with 1 phase load using current as reference [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm Peping: I have 90 pieces of single phase loads with current of 2 Amperes. This will be loaded to a 3 phase transformer, Wye connected having a line to line voltage of 220 Volts. What will be the size of the transformer required for the mentioned loads? Many thanks, Peping

3 phase vs single phase [ 3 Answers ]

Which will use less electricity: a commercial 5 ton 3 phase 13 SEER unit or a 5 ton single phase residential 20+ SEER unit? I am trying to figure out what type unit to put in our restaurant bar.

View more questions Search