Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firems Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Dual capacitor to two capacitors wiring
    I am trying to chang my fan motor and the new motor calls for a different capacitor... the wiring is obviously different. I took the old wires off the old capacitor and wired in the new capacitor as directed on the new motor. Leaving the old one just for the compressor wired the same as it was. The motor will not run... compressor does. Do I need to connect any thing to the old capacitor?

The new wires form the motor are: black connected as before. Blue and orange to the capacitor. Seems pretty easy... am I missing something?
    aero1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 11:44 AM
    This also makes a difference if it 110 or 220 vac which your message doesn't state.
    110 vac I would check to see where my neutral is connected for the fan.
    If 220, the second leg since you isolated the compressor and fan motor.

But in any event additional data is required.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 12:02 PM
    As areo1 stated, you are not supplying both sides of power supply to motor. Check the diagram, post a picture of it if possible.

Aug 31, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Fan is 208-230 volts. Neutral being the blue? Sorry it has been a long time since I did electrical work.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Diagram should show 'L1', 'L2', & 'CAP'. One motor lead to 'L1', one to 'L2', one to 'CAP', other side of CAP connected to either 'L1' or 'L2'.

Aug 31, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Here is what I have...

Attached Images

Aug 31, 2007, 12:52 PM
    It just seems as though there should be another wire... like the common?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2007, 01:07 PM
    Orange is missing a connection to the small yellow wire.

Check the wire gage of the small yellow wire. It may need upgrading.

The single terminal on the right hand capacitor is probably the common to the dual capacitor. If it is, then a wire needs to be moved to the other terminal. Verify the markings and wiring of the capacitor on the right.

Aug 31, 2007, 01:26 PM
    The angle my not be the best...

The capacitor on the right is the old one and is running only the compressor. It is working fine. The big fat blue wire is from the compressor.

So, If I got you right there should be another wire going from where the yellow wire is on the terminal block to where the orange wire is connected?

And you are right that little wire does not look like it belongs and is going to be replaced.

Aug 31, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Thank You ! Problem Solved. I knew there was something missing. You were a great help!
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 13, 2008, 08:47 PM
    I couldn't tell from the picture, but where does the line tie into the orange wire ? Do you need a jumper from the tap at the contactor to the capacitor at this point ?

I am a retired carpenter and short on wiring knowledge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Start capacitor/ run capacitor info [ 3 Answers ]

OK I think I have narrowed my problem down to either a run capacitor or my start capacitor My fan on top of my unit runs but the compressor will hum for about 3-5 seconds every 5 minutes or so . Is it possible for my duel run capacitor to let the fan run but not let the compressor run, or is...

Wiring Coleman Capacitor [ 10 Answers ]

Ok... here we go. I just changed to Condenser Fan motor on my Coleman AC unit. With the new motor I was told to change the capacitor. The old capacitor is a 3.5uf and the new 7.5uf 370vac. My problem is: The old capacitor is round appox 3" tall. Has 3 places for wires. On the left are 2...

Wiring dual 2 ohms subs to 4 ohm load [ 1 Answers ]

How do you wire dual 2 ohm subs to a 4 ohms load on a monoblock amp that is 2 ohm stable

Wiring for DUAL wall switch to control Ceiling Fan and Light Separately [ 20 Answers ]

Greetings. I recently bought a new ceiling fan and light kit to replace one that had been in my sun porch for over 20 years. A dual wall switch was always used to control the light and fan separately on the older fan. The fan speeds were controlled by pull chain. Before I took the old fan down, I...

Capacitors [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Can someone please help me with this question. I'm not sure if I have it all horribly wrong or not... Please refer to the attached picture "capacitance.jpg". With a current moving from A to B and the several capacitors between the idea is to find total capacitance from A to B. Here...

View more questions Search