Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbowman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 09:39 AM
    hang concrete plaque on concrete wall
    I hope you can help. I am pretty clueless about these things. I have a big serious retaining wall in the backyard and want to attach an 18 x 24 inch concrete decorative plaque to it. I am afraid of damaging it. Is there a way I can attach something this heavy without drilling? Thanks, Lissa
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2007, 02:53 PM
    A construction epoxy Rezi-weld 1000 REZI-WELD 1000 Construction Epoxy , a product of W. R. MEADOWS, INC. Construction Products will work without any problems. It costs about $20.00 for a large amount. I don't see a size on the box, but it consists of 2 parts A & B and both parts came in 2 quart sized paint cans. They may have been filled half way. It's an industrial epoxy so you may have trouble getting it. It's used for precisely that application. I had to use it to epoxy corner of cement that broke off. You will never get the plaque off later if you use it. It was available here: Angerstein's Design Center and Building Materials � stores in Wilmington and Milton, Delaware � your source for residential lighting and building materials the last time I needed it.

It might be nice if you included the approximate size and weight of the plaque. Use a bathroom scale.

If you drill, and let's assume that the wall is a cinder block use a stud finder to determine where not to drill. You want to drill into the hollow portion. The only anchor I would use has a stud sticking out of it. The more you tighten the nut the more it clamps down.

Aug 25, 2007, 05:52 PM
    The plaque weighs around 28 pounds. Do you think the epoxy would work?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 25, 2007, 06:44 PM
    I would buy/rent a Remington 22 cal. nail gun. Shoot a 1.5 " nail into the concrete with a yellow cartridge. Place a hanging bracket on the wall and place the gun barrel on top of the hole in the bracket. Wear goggles and hearing protection.
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2007, 08:04 PM
    ibowman:

Size? L x W x thickness

Sep 8, 2007, 10:06 AM
    The nail gun sounds scarey. Sorry I'm not that butch or even good with a regular hammer (wish I were)! The plaque is 14"x25" and 1-1/2" thick.
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2007, 08:53 PM
    The epoxy will work fine. If the plaque weighed 75 lbs you'd need only about 16 sq in of this epoxy to bond. That's like 2" x 8". Although you would want the top, especially, to have 100% coverage to keep water from getting behind it. You know how powerful ice can be. I'd put some at the top and sides, but leave the bottom open.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pipe penetration through a concrete wall [ 2 Answers ]

I need to seal an existing pipe penetration through a concrete foundation wall from the inside of the building, has anyone had any success in doing this? The seal needs to stop water from coming in and has to be from the inside. Is there a special Link-seal type or a clamp on or a good sure fire...

Small Concrete Retaining Wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have a cement walk that is 2' above my driveway. The builder put a small concrete block retaining wall to cover the transition between the heights. One of the concrete blocks (I have a total of 4, very small wall) has been damaged, and the soil from underneath the walk is coning out. If I...

Breaking concrete wall and reinforcing [ 3 Answers ]

Hello , I am current having difficulty researching how to connect two bachelor apartments into a two-bedroom unit.The wall between them is a concrete wall and I do not know if this is a supporting wall. My questions: 1. How do I know if the wall is a supporting wall? 2. Is it feasible to...

Concrete Wall [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to pour a slab in a pole barn. I want to have 4' high by 12' long concrete wall on both sides of the wash bay. Can I form the walls up so that I can pour the walls and the slab at the same time?

Concrete Block Wall Construction [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking at putting in a cinder block wall (50' x 6'). It is in Calif. And in a no freeze area. What is needed for the footing? Depth, width, filler, and re-bar? I think that it needs to be 12" deep and 16" wide with 6" of crushed rock as the base, not sure on the re-bar requirement. How...

View more questions Search