Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Aug 7, 2007, 07:17 PM
    How to Spray Knock Down Texture.
    I have an air compressor and a hopper gun. I have been success only sometimes getting the right consistency. The last time I used the spray gun, I think the mixture was too thin because when I went to lightly smooth down the spray, I kind of even a lot of it out and I didn't get the thicker blobs on the wall.

Can anyone here recommend a method to measure the mixture before you start spraying? What size hole opening do you use on the hopper? I tried 3/8, but I think next time I might try a smaller hole to see if I can get a the thicker blobs on to the wall which will then give the desired effects.

I'm looking for heavy ridges in the texture...

I can post pictures of what I'm looking for if anyone needs more info.

Aug 13, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyds
    I have an air compressor and a hopper gun. I have been success only sometimes getting the right consistency. The last time I used the spray gun, I think the mixture was too thin because when I went to lightly smooth down the spray, I kinda even alot of it out and I didn't get the thicker blobs on the wall.

Can anyone here recommend a method to measure the mixture before you start spraying? What size hole opening do you use on the hopper? I tried 3/8, but I think next time I might try a smaller hole to see if I can get a the thicker blobs on to the wall which will then give the desired effects.

I'm looking for heavy ridges in the texture...

I can post pictures of what I'm looking for if anyone needs more info.
    Anyone??

Aug 24, 2007, 11:11 AM
    So I guess no one out of the 132 views to this thread have ever sprayed wall texture. Oh well.

So here is what I found. My first problem was that the output PSI was too high. My mixture was right, but because the PSI was too high, the spraying pattern was too scattered.

Once I lowered it to 40 PSI, I was able to get big blobs. Since I wanted smaller blobs, I raised the PSI up about 10-15 PSI. Once I achieved the right pattern, I recorded down my PSI output.

In speaking with some people at the HD paint dept, they recommended to use one gallon of water and then let it sit for 15 minutes. Come back to it and check the consistency. It should be thick but still "jiggle" around in the bucket. Pouring in to the hopper was a somewhat slow process and I ever fashioned a piece of cardboard to shovel the texture out of the bucket in to my hopper.

The HD folk also recommended dumping in about a quart of latex paint to help the texture stick better to the wall. I never had a problem with the material sticking to the wall,but since I had some extra paint for a color I wasn't going to use anymore, I threw it in anyway.

Good Luck to all.
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Aug 24, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Hey there Harleyds,

I don't know if you still need the information, but here's how I do it:

Mix in water until it's the constancy of pudding(slowly falls off the mixing paddle when pulled out of the mix).

I then run my gun at 15-25 lbs(depending on the mixture). This "lobs" the mixture at the ceiling/wall, more than shoots it. I shoot it at about a 45 deg. Angle from the ceiling. I test it on a piece of scrap drywall to make sure it's what I want.

If you plan on actually knocking it down, work quickly!! as it dries fast. One side will be drying before you finish at the other side.

If you're going to knock it down, I'd mix it even thinner, so you have some time to work it.

If you'd like, I can snap a photo of the last ceiling I did with these settings. I didn't knock it down, but the way I do it, it's close to the same look.

Thanks,
    Json
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 25, 2007, 07:30 AM
    I've actually done this with dry wall mudd, and a roller, and a 12" sheetrock knife. Only time I've used a hopper is when we texure ceilings
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2007, 06:46 AM
    I see you already figured out to let the mixture set a little while to thicken, and to run your gun between 25 and 50psi. I have never sprayed a wall, just ceilings.

Aug 27, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    i see you already figured out to let the mixture set alittle while to thicken, and to run your gun between 25 and 50psi. i have never sprayed a wall, just ceilings.
    Right, I'm looking to spray my walls, not my ceiling. I think I got it figured out. As mentioned above, I get the mixture to a pudding like texture and then adjust the PSI. If I want bigger blobs, lower PSI, if I want smaller blobs, then I increase the PSI so it fires out at a faster rate. Hence, the gravity feeding is consistent.

Knocking it down... yes it has been interesting. I waited until I finished the entire bags worth of texture. Not a good idea. When I started to knock the first wall down, it was peeling up a bit. I thought the quart of latex paint I added would have help hold it to the wall better, "oh well".

I'm about to mix a half bag today or tomorrow to finish off 2 more walls. I will apply my new found skills with advice from above and report back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Color and texture of ejaculation [ 3 Answers ]

When my husband ejaculates his seaman has changed to a brown color and it is kind of lumpy? What's up with this?

Califonia knowkdown texture [ 2 Answers ]

How do you do acalifornia knowkdown on an interior wall

How to achieve chunky hair texture [ 2 Answers ]

When asking for 'texturizing' at the salon, I usually end up with something that is too 'softly' textured. I know there are different types of texturizing shears. How do I get a stylist to make the texture 'chunky'? I am usually never satisfied with the texture. Is this something I could do at...

Knock sensor [ 1 Answers ]

The other day I was drinving my car. Every time I went to stop or turn, the car started to shake really bad. I took the car to Precision Tune Auto Car where the mechanic ran a diagnostic to read the car's computer. The computer detected that the knock sensor was bad. The mechanic gave me a quote...

View more questions Search