Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tammy54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Clogged toilet and bathtub
    All of a sudden my toilet is backed up and my bathtub has 3 inches of water in it. Is there any way I can fix it myself?
    waterguy Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Are these the only fixtures that are backing up. Test drain all the fixtures in the home. Is this toilet and tub on the main floor or second floor? If you have a basement and a laundry tub in the basement, do a test drain to see if this fixture is backing up. If so you most likely have a blockage in the main lateral drain. If so, you can push a sewer rod through the main clean out , usually located near the base of the main plumbing stack. If the fixtures on other floors work, and it is just the two that are backing up then the toilet can be lifted and a drain auger can be fed through the toilet floor flange. If you do not have some basic plumbing knowledge you may be better off hiring a professional.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 24, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tammy54
    all of a sudden my toilet is backed up and my bathtub has 3 inches of water in it. Is there any way i can fix it myself?
    Yes, You have a blockage downstream from the connection of the tub into the toilet drain. You may snake this from one of two places. The lavatory roof vent or you may take the toilet up and snake from the open closet bend. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clogged toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a clogged toilet, I've tried plunging but it won't free it up. If I remove the toilet to free the clog, can I reuse the wax ring?

Clogged toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, we just bought a house, and the water was just turned back on to it. We used the downstairs toilet and from the first time that we flushed it, it was slow draining, but now it won't drain at all. We did the plunger trick and at first it helped a little, the toilet would at least drain slowly,...

Clogged toilet [ 1 Answers ]

My toilet is clogged. The water in the bowl will eventually drain when I test flush it, but it takes a few minutes. The tub also drains slowly. The bathroom sink drains fine. I have tried plunging, toilet auger, the air pressure thing, snake through the clean out, and nothing has worked. I...

Clogged Toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I have a clogged toilet, I have plunged repeatedly w/o any luck. The water will sit in the bowl and slowly drain after many hours, what is the next step to take when plunging doesn't have any affect? Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search