Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidinmo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2005, 03:30 PM
    Brand new toilet won't flush...
    I hope someone can tell me what else to try. I am redoing a bathroom in a 50 year cabin. The old toilet flushed strong, but there was a "gurgling" in the other drains. When I removed the old toilet I replaced the flange. The old flange had 3" pvc inserted into the 4" cast drain with some plumbers putty sort of filling the gap.

I installed a new flange with a "two finger" gasket into the 4" and it is sealed tight. I installed the new toilet and when I flushed, the bowl would quickly fill with water and then slowly drain down to the proper level (in a minute or so). I pulled the toilet and set it up on some 2x4s in the back yard, filled the tank with a hose and flushed it several times. Not the problem, flushes great. I then dumped 3 or 4 gallons of water directly down the waste openning and the water all went down quickly. No clog there. I reinstalled the toilet and the same "slow" flush is still there.

I assumed I had a vent problem so I dragged a hose up to the vent exhaust on the roof and ran water into the vent for 5 minutes (3" vent pipe, 15' long). I assumed it would fill up if there was a clog in the vent would it overflow on the roof but the water drained down the pipe fine. I even snaked the hose down the vent for its entire length and the water ran through fine. But I still have the "slow" flush.

I should add that if I fill the kitchen sink and drain it, the water in the toilet bowl goes "lap, lap, lap...".

I'm still thinking this is a vent problem but at this point I don't know how to proceed.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Thanks in advance,
    David in Missouri
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 22, 2005, 03:52 PM
    Hi David,

You might have run the hose down the vent but you didn't snake it. You don't need a full blockage to stop the flush action. My advice would be to rent a power snake.
    Drop the cable to the base of the lavatory vent and put out about 20' more.
    Afterwards do the same thing to the kitchen roof vent. That one sounds like it might have a problem also. Good luck, Tom

Nov 22, 2005, 03:59 PM
    Thanks, Tom. I'll try that tomorrow.

The vent in the bathroom is the only vent on the system (just a kitchen sink and toilet/tub/sink in the bath. Not much plumbing). The single vent probably adds to the problem.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 22, 2005, 04:32 PM
    "The vent in the bathroom is the only vent on the system (just a kitchen sink and toilet/tub/sink in the bath."

Unless the kitchen and bathroom's back to back and share a common vent then you should have two vents. Some times the plumber will do a "revent" in the attic and tie one vent back into another so that only one comes out the roof. If that's the case you'll have to cut into the vent and snake from the attic. Let me know, Tom

Nov 22, 2005, 04:48 PM
    "Unless the kitchen and bathroom's back to back"

No such luck here. There is a single vent that runs from the bathroom through the roof. The kitchen sink just has a long run of drain. I guess that helps explain the "girgle" I had before I started in on this project. The builder of this "fine" cabin wasn't much of a plumber.

Looks like I've got a bit more work to do to complete this. Thanks for all of the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet will not flush completely [ 26 Answers ]

Hi, I had just found this forum and this is my first post. My elderly parents live in a 2 story old home with two bathrooms, one on each floor. The toilet on the ground level flushes fine. The one upstairs will not flush solids without filling up a bucket of water and emptying it in the toilet....

Toilet flush [ 17 Answers ]

I flushed the toilet, the water goes down from the tank, but it swirls around and around in the toilet bowl but does not flush. What is the problem. Help.

Random toilet flush [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: Hope someone can help. Have ~ 50 yr old toilet with relatively new flapper valve and fill valve that were replaced a year or so ago and toilet worked OK. About two weeks ago toilet would not flush completely and paper etc. would stay in the bowl. When not working, water would slowly...

Basement Toilet Flush [ 4 Answers ]

Last year we remodeled the basement and added a bathroom. The toilet drain runs only about 3 feet and empties into an ejector pit with pump, shared by the sink and shower. It seems to work well. However, many times the toilet needs to be flushed 3 times to clear it. Plunging doesn’t really...

Toilet Flush Problems [ 1 Answers ]

This just happened last night. Someone in my household used the upstairs toilet, and it clogged badly. When I got home last night I used the plunger for about an hour to try to clear the clog. I got it to the point where the water in the bowl drained, but very, very, slowly. This morning, the...

View more questions Search