Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sassytazzzzy Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 08:29 PM
    What are lung nodule and what does it mean?
    I am 36 years old and in April of this year they found multiple lung nodules and I have been to the doc several times to have them watched but now that there has been growth my DR won't do a biopsy due to my COPD and Asthma. I did a test to see if I have lost my lung capacity but she said that it was good not much damage at this point. I went to my last appointment with her and asked her to do a biopsy so I can as well as my two young children( 13 & 8 ). She said that she would not be willing to do a biopsy because my lungs are in such bad shape. Well that shocked me due to she said that they were good. I asked her what she was trying to say by that and she said that if we did the biopsy I would end up on a respirator for the rest of my life. All of this is too shocking and I do not know what to think of it all. I want the biopsy to I know what I have and if I need to make preparations for my kids. I was exposed to the clean up of the abspestis from my apartment about 7 years ago and 5 different toxic molds. My health has gotten much worse in the last 6 or so years. My doctor said that this looks like masstisized cancer. I am very worried for myself as well as the future of my children. All of this has consumed me for the last four months. I need some answers and would appreciate any input!

Desperate mother in Washington State
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 10:09 PM
    Okay,

First, has your doctor considered a CT scan? Perhaps a Nuclear medicine scan testing for perfusion and diffusion (don't worry, they just test the different aspects of your lung capacity) both CT and Nuc Med will give the doctor a real understanding of where your lungs are at.

If your doctor does not agree, get another opinion and PUSH for it. These scans will give you a real idea and will alleviate some of your undue stress. These scans do not hurt and are minimally invasive as in (you breathe in some gas) and lay on a table for about half an hour-no pain and certainly they will not make you have to wear a respirator (as suggested by your present doctor)

Cheers.

Aug 21, 2007, 11:51 PM
    I have had the ct done but they don't want to expose me to any more radiation even though it is a small amount. They found in these ct that I have multiple on both sides left and right. I am going to the University of Washington in two weeks. I refused to take it like she said to me. I even told her I would not hold her accountable if any thing went wrong. I was willing to sign a waver that my family can not either but she still was very stern in her opinion. She told me due to me being so set in what answers I go (they led me to more questions) that I was one of those patients that is hard to work with. Well would you want to know what is going on in your own body as well. I got two kids I have too! Ty for the info!
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Aug 23, 2007, 01:10 PM
    "multiple lung nodules" does not necessarily mean cancer.
    It may be scar from exposure to tb, or histoplasmosis. It could be rheumatoid. Plenty of other things.

A biopsy of one of the nodules will not necessarily confrim or exclude the diagnosis, because it only tests one of many nodules.

If metastatic cancer is the suspected diagnosis, what is the primary source? Have they looked ?

Nodules > 1 cm are worrisome as are those that have grown over a period.

If serial chest x-rays or cat scans over 2 years show no progression , you have less to worry about.

If you smoke - you have to stop - especially with copd / asthma.

In my opinion I would push for a bronchosccopy [ if you are able to tolerate the procedure ] and a pet scan. They would give you more information.

Although asbestosis can be linked to lung cancer, more typically it can cause mesothelioma, a cancer of the pleura of the lung.

Grace and Peace

Aug 24, 2007, 02:20 PM
    The nodules are between 3 and 8 mm in size over thirty to count them all I would not know. I have had five CT's since then and they were under 2 to 6mm in size and that was in April of this year. My breathing has become more labored and I feel lots of pressure in my chest. I feel as if some one is sitting on my chest. I have tried to quit smoking and that two I have failed. I have cut back but I know I need to quit. Want to try the chantex that is out now to see if that will help. My medical will not cover it but I need it desperately.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2007, 06:00 PM
    Your NUTS to keep smoking. Sorry, I have to put it bluntly.

Aug 24, 2007, 09:41 PM
    OK you think I am nuts for smoking well I have been smoking for over 20 years. It is much harder than you think to quit. If it was easy I would quit. The longest I have been able to go with out smoking it one day. And believe me it was not a pretty day. The with drawls are bad enough. I can say I understand alcohol and drug addictions. They can get help with that but if you smoke you cant. To me that seems wrong!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2007, 11:02 PM
    Withdrawals of anything is hard. I once suffered from a rebound headache because I took pain meds for my normal headache. It was a sinus headache. Weeing off the drug (barbituate) was very tough, but I did it myself.

I had my share of alcohol as a teenager, but I don't think I was ever addicted.

As a child, I weened myself off sugar. Sugar is used in coffee and sometimes on tomatoes. That's it. I'm diabetic.

I weened myself off salt except sometimes chicken and turkey.

I drink a little too many Pepsi's now.

If your pre-disposed for addictive behavior, it can be tougher. Much tougher.

I believe there are smoking cessation therapies available. You might be covererd because of your diagnosis. It wouldn't hurt to try.

Something that can be problematic is when one bad behavior is traded for another bad behavior.

My favorite saying "Kissing someone who smokes is like falling in love with an ashtray."

There is no question that you HAVE to get rid of smoking. You have NO CHOICE in the matter. Telling me you can't is an additude. It won't cut it.

I had a friend who would smoke one or two cigarettes a year.

Your choices are reduction in the amount or substitution or both. Nicotine patches do exactly that.

Here is an idea. Take a cigarette and mark 8 lines on it. Say you smoke 5x a day. Smoke to the 7th line 2x a day. Then go 3, then go 4, then go 5. Then go to the 6th line. Do the same thing. Keep the unlit cigarette in your mouth for the same length of time that you would smoke. You may have to do the iteration for a month before changing.

When you reach line one 5x/day. Keep the unlit unsmoked cigarette in your mouth.

I would expect the further the reduction, the longer you will have to stay at that level.
    Recite the mantra "Kiss... ashtray" every single time you take a puff. Stare at the ashtray.

Save the money you saved by not purchasing cigarettes. Maybe your children, if you have any, could offer an incentive besides, "I love you mom. Your going to die much earlier if you keep smoking".

If you want to know what trouble is, get a copy of this book "Hanging out with Labcoats" FoxPress TM or at Amazon.com. I personally know the author.

Aug 25, 2007, 10:51 PM
    OMG I would have to say you are right and ty for the idea of marking the cigs I will do so an wow are you sure your not my sister (LISA)? To hear you whom you know me not say the same words I have heard (but neglected to let in) from my sister. That I would say is a real eye opener!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    outdoorgirl1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2011, 06:50 PM
    Four months ago they found a nodule on my right lung. I am being retested at the end of May, but they are going to do a PFT test next week as I have been having trouble breathing. I am worried as I have had Cancer four times and I also have heart trouble. Just stay Positive and get that second opinion like I did.

Good Luck & God bless
    MICHAEL1941 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2011, 07:59 AM
    You can stop smoking as i did, pack a day for about 22 years... i enjoyed smoking.. i threw the pack in my pocket in the trash at work one night after my nine year old son asked my what i lover more , the cigs or him... pray first as i did, don't buy another pack, drink water when you want a cig. tell everyone you know that you are quiting, try to cut out or cut back on things that make you want a cig... spend as much time as you casn in places wheere you cn't smoke... i quit cold turkey like this over 20 years ago.. just don't put another one in your mouth!!
    MICHAEL1941 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2011, 08:06 AM
    By the way, your going to be amazed about how you smell after you quit.. i can't stand the smell now... and in the previous post.. i meant "LOVED" not "LOVER"...
    Carol Ellmore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2013, 07:01 AM
    They found nodules on my lungs in March, 2012 and never told me, I was in the hospital in March 2013 for passing a kidney stone and they said the nodules increased and to notify my family doctor. I am 63 years old and am worried. I am not a smoker. How much more have they not told me?
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Mar 21, 2013, 04:54 PM
    How are we going to know what you're not being told? Talk to your physicians.
    johnnyboy2342 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2013, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KISS View Post
    Your NUTS to keep smoking. Sorry, I have to put it bluntly.
    Yeah man quit smoking, sheesh.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lung disease [ 4 Answers ]

i have an on going lung condition which at times gives me many upper respertory infections.. when the infections come i am rendered helpless.. shortness of breath, trouble expectorating ,night sweats and chills... plus i am very fatiqued.. once i start antibiotics i seem to get stronger but then...

Lung problems-- pneumonia [ 3 Answers ]

I had severe pneumonia and pleurisy about 10 years ago and since then I've had a cough and lingering pleuritic pain. I also tend to get chest infections very easily. Could pnuemonia have caused asthma or is this just the lasting result of scarring?

Lung Disease [ 4 Answers ]

I first had a collapsed lung back in l999. About a month ago, I ate lunch consisting of cottage cheese and yogurt and not long thereafter fell asleep. I awoke with severe wheezing and wondered if I would ever be able to catch my breath. I felt as if I were having an asthmatic attack. Can anyone...

View more questions Search