Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    InspMO Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 06:20 PM
    WWII Era Foreign Currency
    I have just found a jar with some WWII era paper money. Here are their description:

Japanese Government "5&10 Pesos" bills. The 5 bills have serial numbers on them, but the 10s don't. The 5 bills have some kind of monument on them; the ten bills have a jungle scene on them. They both have Japanese and English script on them.
    No date on either.

French 5 Francs bill; very small 4"x4"; dated Serie DE 1944. On the back is a French flag with the words "Liberte', Egalite', Fraternite'.

Italian Lire bills; 50 lire bill, no date, serial # I354 2192, reversed on the bottom; 10 lire bill, a man in uniform on one side, a roman soldier on the other side, serial# 0203 703918reversed on the bottom; Allied Military Currency 10 lire bill Series of 1943A,
    Serial # A93620591A.

Canadian 1954 dollar bill.

All are in fair shape, the military currency is all most mint.

Are these worth anything?
    D Bittle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by InspMO
    I have just found a jar with some WWII era paper money. Here are their description:

Japanese Government "5&10 Pesos" bills. The 5 bills have serial numbers on them, but the 10s don't. The 5 bills have some kind of monument on them; the ten bills have a jungle scene on them. They both have Japanese and English script on them.
    No date on either.

French 5 Francs bill; very small 4"x4"; dated Serie DE 1944. On the back is a French flag with the words "Liberte', Egalite', Fraternite'.

Italian Lire bills; 50 lire bill, no date, serial # I354 2192, reversed on the bottom; 10 lire bill, a man in uniform on one side, a roman soldier on the other side, serial# 0203 703918reversed on the bottom; Allied Military Currency 10 lire bill Series of 1943A,
    serial # A93620591A.

Canadian 1954 dollar bill.

All are in fair shape, the military currency is all most mint.

Are these worth anything?
    I too found some of this money. A ten (jungle) and 100 pesos (monument ). My research found that they are 1942 WWII Japanese Occupation War Currency. Can't find a value.

I also have paper money from Morocco, China, Algeria and Curaçao. From 1938 - 47. Probably from a soldiers WWII tour. Can't seem to find good source on line to value these. I'm heading for the library.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 10:19 PM
    The library would be a good place to look. Even though we might like to think so, not everything is available online.

I did find a couple of pieces of information that might be worth a read, though.

World War II money has little value
    Sunday, February 06, 2005

Dear Mr. Stebinsky: I would like to know whether Japanese paper money received after World War II is worth anything. I also would like information about a 1943 Australian shilling.

J.H. Logan

Dear Mr. Stebinsky: I have two pieces of paper money from World War II. One is a 100-peso note issued by the Japanese government. The other is an Australian 1-pound note with a man shearing sheep on the back.

P.C. Mount Gilead

Dear Mr. Stebinsky: This note was found on Okinawa in 1950. I have often wondered whether it has any value. It is a Philippine 1-peso note Series No. 66 that has the word VICTORY in large letters across the back.

T.C. Reynoldsburg

Dear Readers: The 100-peso Japanese-government note was issued for use in occupied Philippines.

When Japan conquered a country during World War II, it confiscated all the gold and silver and issued paper money. The paper circulated by Japanese decree but was backed by nothing. When the war ended, the money lost all value.

Military personnel brought the worthless bills home as souvenirs. The bills turn up so often and in such profusion that few dealers bother with them. Dealers that sell them typically price them at a dime or a quarter.

When the United States retook the islands, it issued paper money similar to the type circulated before the war only with VICTORY overprinted on the back. Victory bills were issued in 1944, withdrawn from circulation in 1957 and demonetized in 1967. At that point they became worthless as paper money.

Victory bills are common and worth little. They usually sell for $1 or less.

Australian 1-pound bills from the World War II-era are worth a bit more, but not much. Circulated ones run $2 to $5. Uncirculated ones, though, are worth $100 to $200.

Almost 20 million 1-shilling Australian coins were minted in Australia and the United States. They tend be valued mostly for their silver, about $1.

George Stebinsky
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 10:23 PM
    Here is the other information.

As the Japanese Empire spread out in the early days of World War II, the Japanese government issued special currency for the various nations and colonies they conquered. We are offering notes issued by the Imperial Japanese Government for the Philippines, Malaya, and Burma. The notes serve as a reminder for the failed exploits of the Japanese Imperial Armed Forces during World War II.
    Item PM-JIM 7 DIFFERENT WWII JAPANESE INVASION NOTES, F-UNC. $4.50
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 10:25 PM
    Just one more note from me.

Almost always, old paper money does not have near the collectible value as coins do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign currency [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I get a small amount of Italian currency for a gift in Denver,CO

Are WWII Ration cards collectible? [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of helping an elderly neighbor clean his house and pack for him moving into a senior living complex. This afternoon he and I came across a packet of WWII ration cards from 1943. They were for his Father and Mother, his younger brother, and himself. He was going to throw them...

Gift for WWII History Buff [ 6 Answers ]

Anybody who has a passion for the history of WWII... can recommend a gift for my friend. All that I know is he loves the history of WWII, he loves football and the law. Based on this anybody have any sugestions on what I can get him? I was thinking a good documentary on WWII but like you can tell I...

Rejuvenating dinosaur era vegetation [ 1 Answers ]

I have decided for my high school science project, to go to a site where prehistoric dinosaur bones have been found (Hemet California) semi desert area, and retrieve soil sample at the location and depth (same as the bones). Then I will care and cultivate the seed ,roots and other growth...

View more questions Search