Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aimee yar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2006, 12:13 PM
    Kidney failure
    Please help! My dog has been diagnosed with kidney failure. She will not eat and rarely drink or go to the bathroom. She just lays around, coughs, and vomits flem. The doctor says we need to put her down. The doctor had given her some medicine and vitamins. I am wondering if there is ANYTHING else I can do-special diet, herbs, special vitamins. If there is something I could at least try, even if it fails, I would feel I did everything I could. She got this way after she had vaccinations. She wasn't eating as much this summer. I thought it was due to the heat. But about a week after she had the vaccinations that were due- she stopped eating and drinking completely. We had her tested and found out she has chronic kidney failure and was most likely born with small kidneys and has been surviving regardless: Can you help?
    jennapbt Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Aug 30, 2006, 06:03 PM
    I seriously doubt vaccinations can cause kidney failure. It is very rare, I've seen many dogs at work come in with kidney failure but none because they were vaccinated. With kidney failure there really is nothing you can do you take a 50/50 chance by treating it, usually it doesn't help. They can be prescribed sterroids, and put on intravenous fluids and see if that helps. This can all be pricy and cause the dog to suffer. It requires persistent care meaning your pet must stay in the hospital. You have the option to seek help from another DVM, a good one wouldn't opt out for euthanasia rather than trying to treat it. Many factors can cause a dog to suddenly have kidney failure, if it was was previously a healthy dog then suddenly this was risen, then there was something in particular that caused it. You mentioned heat, heat can cause kidney failure quick. I don't know if you get your dogs blood panel ran frequently, so I would have to agree that this could have been a long running thing that is finally taking its course. In conclusion I would say if you knew this was a gradual increase leading to kidney failure, euthanasia would be the better option. If you think that this occurred from something that might have happened then try to fiercely treat it (this all depends on the actual level of the kidney's also). If you really don't know what to do get a second opinion (from a DVM). Good luck and I hope you figure things out, just think of the quality of life for your dog.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 30, 2006, 07:40 PM
    Kidney failure, A/K/A renal failure is the same in humans as it is in pets.

The kidney fails to clean out the system of toxins. With people we have dialysis, but we are not really given that option with pets. And, if we were, it is extremely expensive, given with people anyway, it is several hours per day so many times per week.

I agree with the answer above. It is time to let your baby rest.
    jennapbt Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Aug 30, 2006, 09:03 PM
    At the clinic I work at we treat it with fluids fluids fluids and more fluids. We've had a few that pull through, but still have the larger percent that don't. It all depends on what stage it's at. That's why I mentioned about previous blood panels or not. Regardless I'm sure you'll go with your gut on the whole situation.
    sweetlady7 Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Aug 21, 2007, 01:18 PM
    My dog was diagnosed yesterday. The vet is trying to treat her with fluids right now to get it under control, but if he can do that he said long-term is a special diet. Hill's Science Diet (may be by prescription)... it is k/d diet. It is a low-protein, high-carb dog food which is the opposite of what dogs normally eat, but too much protein cannot be processed through failing kidneys.
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Sep 13, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlady7
    My dog was diagnosed yesterday. The vet is trying to treat her with fluids right now to get it under control, but if he can do that he said long-term is a special diet. Hill's Science Diet (may be by prescription)...it is k/d diet. It is a low-protein, high-carb dog food which is the opposite of what dogs normally eat, but too much protein cannot be processed through failing kidneys.
    That depends on what is happening with the kidneys. In my case my kidneys all but shut down sending me to the hospital. I had gained 27 lbs from excess fluid. My heart had gone into Arrhythmia in the upper chambers because of the excess fluid. The doctors tried treating me with lasix and demodex (diuretics) with little success. I was Scheduled to go into surgery to implant a port for dialysis when the doctor tried a cocktail through an IV that consisted of albumin (a protein) followed by demodex. This cocktail started my kidneys working again although still at limited function. But it did put of dialysis for awhile. A good source of albumin is egg whites. So in my case it was a lack of protein in my blood that caused my kidneys to shut down. Is not that the kidneys can't process protein, it is they have holes in them that allow the protein to escape and pass out in the urine. I low protein diet however tricks the body and makes the kidneys hold onto the protein that is there better.
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Sep 13, 2007, 07:55 AM
    bushg: Do you have nephrotic syndrome? My son has it since he was 4.
    I have diabetic kidney.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 09:15 AM
    I am sorry I missed your question when posted. I would keep working with your vet who understands your dog's case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kidney stones? [ 2 Answers ]

HI, Just hoping for help with problem my mom is having. She's been experiencing some weird symptoms lately, but her doctor won't give her an appt. for several weeks. But my mom is still worried about what is causing them. THe last week or so she has been having severe "charlie horse" cramps in...

Kidney disease and deafness [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please tell me if a parent has kidney failure and kidney disease if a child is conceived could that child be born deaf. My husband died of kidney failure and was 100% disabled because of operations done wrong. He died in VA hospital. My son is deaf and he has it so hard to find work. ...

Kidney scarring [ 0 Answers ]

My husband has been ill with a bad flu and probably hooping cough. Recently he had blood in his urine and tests are being done. The doctor thinks its possibly a reaction to strong antiobiotics but that's before all tests are done. Today he got back x-rays which show that one kidney is...

View more questions Search