Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gypsy6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 05:47 PM
    How can we get rid of springtails in bathtub?
    We have suddenly (for 1 month) been seeing some springtails coming out of our bathtub drain.Our house is 55 years old w/ the original tub and drains and traps. We also are noticing a slight foul odor from that same drain. We have quarterly pest control, and have been doing so for a few years now. They say that they can't do anything for the springtails because springtails only appear from moisture. The house is on a slab, and the pipes are under the slab. Is this a pest control or plumbing problem? There is no water backup--how do we get rid of these sudden pests in the bathroom?Thanks for any help or suggestions. A plumber came out and sees no signs of leaks,etc.:mad:
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Have you tried pouring Clorox down your drains. It freshens them. Bugs can't survive.

Make sure you clean your bathroom with a mixture of Clorox and water.
    gypsy6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Thanks-we have already done that along with using a bacterial drain cleaner-but it has not worked. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Aug 15, 2007, 07:09 AM
    Springtails can jump!

After reading up on them, I would choose what I wanted to get rid of, the springtail or the very dangerous fungus that grows in old dark and wet areas of the house.

Good luck in controlling them.

I let the silverfish in my bathroom eat the stuff that could kill me because I don't believe in clorox. I use quick & brite to do my cleaning - which is biodegradable.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 15, 2007, 07:12 AM
    Springtails are more of a nuisance than most infestations.

Try this:

Springtails, HYG-2070-98

Good luck!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Gypsy, it sounds like this is most likely a plumbing problem. If they are getting into the pipe, there has to be an opening for them at some point along the pipeline. The problem is not knowing exactly where it is. It could be right below the slab, or much further down the line, which would translate into major dollars to try to repair the problem. Are you on a well & septic system or hooked into city water/sewer? If you are on a city system, you could ask any of your surrounding neighbors if they are experiencing the same problems. If enough people have the problem, as a group you can demand they inspect the main water line and fix it. Not sure how far that will get you, but worth a shot. If you are on your own system, it is extremely problematic because as I said, you don't know where it is originating from and could be quite costly having someone come in to trace it back and fix the problem. If you don't have a plumber that you trust who will come in and give you constructive feedback and not charge you a small fortune, speak to friends & neighbors and see if they have anyone they recommend. You need to find someone who has experience with this sort of problem and is honestly working to help you resolve it.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 05:54 AM
    Well , perhaps you could get your pest control company's attention if you ask them for a referral to another pest company. If you have used them for two years, chances are if they think they are going to lose your business, they may come up with a few more ideas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get rid of IE^? [ 9 Answers ]

Am running win XP and Have downloaded Mozilla .9! I want to use that and not IE6. How do I get rid of Ie6 so I won't be vulnerable to its security leaks? :P

How can I get rid of someone? [ 13 Answers ]

I met this girl a while back in a college class and after my girlfriend and I split I asked this other girl out. I pretty much used her as a rebound but she is also in a similar situation having just gotten out of a long relationship. I do not want to hurt her feelings but I also do not want to...

To get rid of someone. [ 2 Answers ]

Im just frustrated by a person. He teases me a lot.I want to get rid of him. So please can anyone tell me that: HOW CAN I HACK HIS HOTMAIL/GMAIL/YAHOO PASSWORD? He uses three of these services.

How to get rid of [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a daughter aged 4+. Acidentally she had a burnt on her cheek when she was 2+. She has a mark till now. When asked doctors, they say it is superficial burn. And will fade of in months. But the mark of course has faded of but not completely . When she goes out in the sun it is more to...

How can I get rid of the fleas? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 week old lab that has fleas. The fleas don't jump. They are to content. But I bathed her with puppy shampoo and they have all moved to her head around her eyes that haven't opened yet. What can I do or use?

View more questions Search