Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jas019 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Air blows cold then stops but unit is still running
    Our ac will be working great and then all of a sudden stop blowing cold air, room temperature air will blow instead which heats the house up quick. If we turn the unit off for an hour or two it normally starts to blow cold air again once it's back on. We've checked to see if the unit if frozen under the house and it is not. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to why this happens. We have a baby on the way in 3 weeks and would love to know what the problem is before he gets here!
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Aug 16, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Well, your compressor is shutting off. There are many reasons this could be happening. It could be a short in the wiring. There could be a blockage of some kind. It could also simply be a thermostat issue. My advice would be to contact a repair person, as it doesn't sound like a problem you may be able to diagnose/fix yourself. Good Luck.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Probably something happening in the outside unit, try washing the outside coil (condensing unit) take a water hose and wash from the top down(don't spray motor) This is the best thing you can do for a air conditioning unit besides replacing the filter. What happens is if the condenser coil gets dirty it does not cool the refrigerant and the pressure builds up higher and causes the compressor to work harder and may overheat the compressor, these compressors have a built in temperature actuated overload that will shut down the compressor until it cools off and starts running again.
    Another thing to check is the fan motor , is it failing? The bearings in the motors may need to be oiled if oilable and the motor may be failing due to overheating.
    Last , if the thermostat is programmable, is it programed correctly? Hope this is helpful, Mike
    By the way Congratulations!!
    jas019 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 10:23 AM
    My husband just went under the house to check the ac unit and it appears that the air handler is frozen. He believes this has been what's causing our ac to go from cold air to room temp. over and over. What do we need to do to keep the air handler from freezing
    J Costa Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Aug 16, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Like already stated cleaning the coil is a very good idea and if it is your air handler like you stated the filter probably needs changed and clean those coils you can buy a self rinseing coil cleaner for the air handler just shut the unit off and spray wait ten minutes and turn unit back on. If that does not do the trick you might need to have someone put guages on it it might be low on refridgerant.
    samterryjones09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 12:40 PM
    My air condition unit fan is running but there is no cold air on in the house

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace blows cold air [ 3 Answers ]

Yesterday my furnace stopped heating my home. It is 3 years old & I did some minor troubleshooting. The filter is not clogged and the blower is circulating air normally. I checked inside the unit & the ignitor coil is heating and starting the gas jets burning, but they shut off after about 10...

Central Heat/blows cold air in unit downstairs [ 1 Answers ]

\ Our heating unit (central) is blowing cold air. This is only occurring in downstairs unit. There are 2 separate units in the home. Any ideas on what to do before calling an expert? The HVAC unit is all electric. It is set to Auto. We had problems with the A/C where you gad to set the...

Please help:Furnace still blows cold air... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi again, I posted my situation a few days ago with very little response, so I wanted to follow up again before calling out a technician. I have a Goodman gas furnace, about three years old. It has electronic pilot ignition, which works fine and will enable the burner flame... the problem is the...

Furnace blows cold air... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a new member and thought I had already posted my question, but I can't seem to locate it. So, here I go again. Condensed version: Goodman Gas Furnace... 2years old. Blows cold air. Electronic ignition... ignites flame burners, but they turn off prematurely after about 2-3min. Then after a...

Heater blows warm air but also cold [ 1 Answers ]

Our heater blows warm air out as it is supposed to, but also blows cold air out of the cold air return vents. Any idea on how to fix this short of replacing the system?

View more questions Search