Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spiritwind56 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2007, 10:04 PM
    Wood furniture mites or mothes
    How do I get rid of moths or wood mites in my dresser draws with out chemicals or moth balls? Or cedar cheaps.:eek:
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2007, 03:14 AM
    If you don't want to use the things that you have mentioned, then I would suggest taking the drawers out and washing the insides as well as outsides of the drawers out with anything from a glass cleaner to just regular dish soap using a sponge, rags or even paper towels. Then I would suggest setting the pieces out in the sun for a number of hours or even a few days, if that is possible where you live. I would go easy on the amount of water used though, as that could make the drawers swell enough that you might not be able to get the drawers back in again.

Someone else on this site may have other suggestions for you, too.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 08:10 PM
    I don't know at all, but I wonder if you were to buy some of that pledge lemon furniture polish and coat the insides and outside surfaces if the lemon scent, and taste of the polish might discourage the critters.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2007, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    i don't know at all, but i wonder if you were to buy some of that pledge lemon furniture polish and coat the insides and outside surfaces if the lemon scent, and taste of the polish might discourage the critters.
    What you describe just might work. I am wondering however, if spiritwind56 might have some sort of allergy problem because he or she doesn't seem to want to use the traditional methods of getting rid of the bugs.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 05:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritwind56
    How do i get rid of moths or wood mites in my dresser draws with out chemicals or moth balls? Or cedar cheaps.:eek:
    Without using any of the things that you are negating, it will very be tough going. Any of the ideas listed above will work but will only be a temporary fix and your pests will return. Both pests will lay eggs, inside the dresser and in other "safe" areas of your home, so the cycle will continue. The usual method for getting rid of wood mites is chemicals. The usual methods for moths are chemicals, cedar chips, moth balls, and/or lavender. The cedar chips and lavender are considered natural methods. The only permanent solution is chemical treatments, closing off all possible areas to them where they are entering and ensuring they have no way to get into your home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Biting mites [ 31 Answers ]

I need info from anyone who has had to deal with biting mites on their body and in their home.. I think they are called 'Black Pepper mites'... Help

Ear Mites [ 4 Answers ]

I guess my cat has had ear mites (a brownish ear build up) for a little bit now and it didnt look too bad but I started giving her drops last week for it and it almost seems grosser. Is that it being all cleared out or should I clean her ears? Does it get worse before getting better?

Getting tape glue off wood furniture [ 3 Answers ]

The movers put packing tape on my wood furniture. The backing(glue) remaind on my furniture when I removed the tape. How do I remove it without destroying my furniture? Thank you so much. Kathy

Ear mites [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Our lab is itching his left ear quite a bit and shakes his head. There is a slight odor and there is debris in both ears. I called the vet and she said that it could be ear mites. How can we check for this? Is there anything that we could do for him from home or should we take him to the...

My kitty has mites and now I do [ 3 Answers ]

I just purchased a himilayan kitten. When I got home I looked him over he was bold all on his tummy,back legs and a little bit of the front legs I also found out a few days later he has mites I am pretty sure they are ear mites because his ears are full of black so I started treting him with...

View more questions Search