Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bevedm Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 02:44 AM
    Air not getting cold
    Earlier I had no blower on my York split system, you all advised I change t'stat. I installed new t'stat and blower came on as advertised. But now it doesn't get cold. Outside fan is running. I had to put sides back on unit as it got to raining so I couldn't tell if compressor is coming on. But unit got cold yesterday before t'stat went down. I did a recheck to make sure all the wires on new t'stat were in the right place. What I'd like to know is what things I should check for come daylight. I figure I'm overlooking something connected to changing out the thermostat that is preventing it from cooling. Thanks for your help yesterday. Ed
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 09:42 AM
    If the out side fan is running ,then the thermostat is calling for cool. You may have a separate problem with the A/C. What you need to do is determine if the compressor is running or not , if you open the access panel you will see the contactor , is it pulled in ? Feel the refrigerant lines on the compressor, the small line should be hot and the large line cool, if they are both hot then it may have kicked off on internal overload, look at the capacitor (round or oval canister with wires comimg out ) is the top flat or is it bulging? which would indicate its bad, look for burnt wires.
    Since you had indoor blower problems you might make sure that your evaporator coil is not iced up.
    bevedm Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Praise the Lord! I found a bunch of genesis. I found the no cooling problem. There was a wire to the compressor that had shorted out and burned in two. I would never have found it without you all's help by narrowing down the troubleshooting possibilities. The wire was in a little black box on the side of the compressor where the wires come out. Since I knew the compressor was not coming on now, but had worked the day before I suspected a connection problem. And because you all pointed me in the right direction it was easy to find and fix. Also since you had me look at the connector I found the points some burned and pitted. I cleaned them up good and have at least 90% of the original thickness of the contact area left, so hopefully they will last awhile yet. Now everything is working and so far I have got A/C back for just under $30, the cost of a thermostat. That is less than a service call! I fell a while back and broke my back and can't work, so not having to call for service has been a God send. Now I have one more question, the air temp out the furtherest vent from the unit is about 68.5, is that good, bad, or in the middle. And if not good what do I need to do to improve it. Filters are new, I have a service agreement and it was checked out 6-14-07. He had down ambient temp83, then split temp 22. Also if it matters I live in Mesa,Az suburb of Phoenix. Some other readings are: cond motor actual 1.5 max 2.3 cond cap actuat 7.1 max 7.5, compressor aactual 13.7 max 16.8, compress cap actual33.6 max35. Can you interpret please? Thanks again for your help and may God Bless your day. Ed
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Ed, I am happy that you were able to fix your A/C and get it back in operation, a lot of perseverance paid off, the 22 degree differential that the service person said you had indicates that the air is passing through the furnace a little slow, this could be caused by a dirty filter, under sized duct work, some registers closed in the house, dirty blower wheel, return air grill blocked by furniture (any thing to restrict air flow) The differential should be about 20 degrees, so you're not to far off.
    The 68 degrees that was measured is relative to the return air temperature, if it were about 88 degrees (20 degrees differential) then I would say its great, but you will gain some heat as the air passes through the duct due to duct insulation, poorly insulated duct fittings. Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air conditioner on.no cold air [ 3 Answers ]

My AC unit has been running for several hours, but the house is no cooler than when it started. What could be my problem?

Home AC Cold Air but not air flow weak [ 4 Answers ]

The air flow from my home ac unit is not blowing very hard, there is cold air coming out of the vents but the air isn't blowing enough to cool the house. I've had it set at 75 all day and the house temp hasn't gone below 82. What can this be? I have called for service and unforunately they may...

A/C - No Cold Air [ 2 Answers ]

My central A/C is blowing but no cold air is coming out. Does it run through the furnace... and could it be a pilot light? I am so A/C ~ Heating challenged! Also... how do I find a reasonable repair man without getting ripped off? Thanks!

Cold Air Registers Blowing Cold Air [ 3 Answers ]

Our cold air registers are blowing cold air worse than if the windows were open. The hot air registers blow cold air but not as forceful (maybe because they are 1/3 the size of the returns) This only happens when the furnace is off and we are heating with the wood stoves. We have metal ducting...

Day & Night forced air heater keeps blowing cold air [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday my heater was working as normal. Today I replaced the filter in my Day & Night forced air heater. Later I bumped my thermostat when walking by it, but I'm not certain that this caused the problem. My heater turned on and blew hot air. I turned it all the way down, but the fan...

View more questions Search