Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Aug 1, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Central air soound of running water
    Had a new central air system installed. 2 zones with a Hydro Air system.

When the AC runs on the second floor I get a sound like running water from the refrigerant pipes. First floor does not have the problem.
    The tech that installed it has tried a few things but really has no idea of what is causing it.
    Help.
    hjk458 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jef1056
    Had a new central air system installed. 2 zones with a Hydro Air system.

When the AC runs on the second floor I get a sound like running water from the refrigerant pipes. First floor does not have the problem.
    The tech that installed it has tried a few things but really has no idea of what is causing it.
    Help.
    I had that problem too, the air cond. Guy said it was condensation build up?? Never heard of that but that's what he said.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Hydro Air is a chilled water system, where the chilled water is circulated through the fan coil, is this what you have? If this is then you might have air in the upstairs system which may have to be purged fom the system. Air will always go to the highest portion of the system.
    Hope this is helpful, Mike

Aug 1, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Maybe I did not say it correctly. I have 2 fan coil units, one in the basement and one in the attic. Hot water is pumped through to provide heat and "freon" goes through a coil for AC.
    The AC has only been installed a month so I don't understand what could have built up.
    Thanks
    John
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2007, 06:31 PM
    `sometimes when a system is low on refrigerant it will make noise going through the metering devise.

Aug 2, 2007, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by acetc
    `sometimes when a system is low on refrigerant it will make noise going thru the metering devise.
    They came and added refrigerant yesterday and it helped a little. But the noise is still there.
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 03:29 PM
    How confident are you in there ability? May still be low.Check for temperature differential across the coil in the attic (should be 20 degrees)
    Did they check for any kinks in the refrigerant lines that might cause a restriction.

Aug 3, 2007, 08:13 AM
    I do,

They mentioned both the low refrigerant and looked for a kink. The job was originally started by a different company that ran the copper through the wall before it was closed up. 3/4" was used and they now think it should have been 7/8". Could that cause the problem?
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2007, 09:36 AM
    They need to do more investigating of the refrigerant lines the undersized line should not cause the noise but is a concern, a kinked line is a major concern which needs to be checked out .Look for kink at the top of wall where the lines come up the wall and bend into attic as well as where the lines come out of the wall at the out door unit. Some times these kinks are hard to find due to where they are located , Good luck. Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central Heat and Air not blowing air at all [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a girl trying to save myself a little money and maybe embarrassment before I call someone out to look at my a/c problem. You know, trying to avoid the fact that I all I had to do was plug it in... ha/ha. I just moved into an apartment, everything was fine until all of a sudden I...

Bath tub shower spout & head running water running at same time [ 1 Answers ]

I started with a slight dripping problem(sayko system).i decided to replace all 3 stem assemblies together as they all were about 18 years old.after reassembling the new stems(danko brand),turned on the water supply & checked faucets.hot & cold worked fine but when the shower was turned on,water...

Knocking in central air while unit is not running [ 1 Answers ]

I am hearing loud knocking noises inside the air handler unit of my central air/heat unit located in my attic. This knocking is intermittent and I have only heard it while the unit is not running. I did not notice the noise until the winter and I started using the heat. Any ideas of what this...

Cold water no longer running to one sink. Also lots of air [ 3 Answers ]

I moved in about a month ago to a 1920's duplex. Most of the plumbing was re-done when the house was gutted in the '90s, and there was an addition added (with PEX plumbing, incidentally) in 2001. When we bought the house the addition had been winterized. I've de-winterized it and now have a few ...

View more questions Search