Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luvlife Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Aching buttocks and legs
    Hi, Im wondering if anyone knows what could be wrong with me. I've been to two doctors and they are baffled. This started last year and has now becoming more frequent, I've had about 4 episodes in the last 5 weeks. It's a feeling that just comes on without warning when I'm walking or standing. I feel an aching in my buttocks and a tingling sensation as though my bottom is on fire, then both my legs ache and feel so very weary, as though I've just ran a marathon or climbed blackpool tower! I've tried walking about to see if the feeling will go off, but my legs feel so very tired with a mild ache, that I worry they will give way. I find that sitting down for about 5 minutes usually does the trick and the feeling passes and I feel fine again. I have a slight pain in my lower back but I can't say I feel backpain when this is going on. One of the doctors has booked me in for head and back scans, but I don't know how long Ill be waiting for this. Im getting to feel panicky now when I go to work, or out anywhere (I work part time as a midday assistant at an infant school) in case the feeling comes on and Im not near a chair. Im a happy 53 year old, and otherwise feel healthy. I had a slipped disc but that was many years ago, when I was in my 20's... Hoping someone can enlighten me. Thanks for reading this. :)
    daisymactx Posts: 46, Reputation: 7

Jul 28, 2007, 10:09 AM
    My DH had Peripheral Arterial Disease, which we didn't find out until it almost killed him. He had low back pain, hip pain, and couldn't walk more than a few yards before he was worn out. They treated him for all sorts of things, and even put a spinal cord stimulator in him to block the pain. After almost 2 years he changed his pain management Dr. (because that is where he ended after no one else could figure it out) and the new Dr. took one look at his feet and sent him to a vascular Dr. His toes had a blueish tint, which we hadn't noticed because he never goes bare-footed. There was no circulation in his legs. Within 4 days he had a bi-femoral arterial bypass surgery. If only the previous dr.s would have checked his pulse in his ankles, or tried to take his blood pressure down there we would have found out and not spent 2 years of him living like a disabled person.

I am NOT saying this is what is wrong with you, but it is a cautionary tale for people who are not getting answers, and one of the key symptoms is pain when you walk. Maybe you could mention this and get it checked out.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Jul 28, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Thanks very much for your reply Daisy. It was helpful, and I will mention it to my doctor. I don't have pain as such though when Im walking, it just comes on very suddenly, and its more a tired ache in my bottom and legs and my legs feel very weak, they feel like jelly, and I don't know why its accompanied by a burning sensation in my bottom. Im also worrying about having the brain scan, more than having the back scan, I hate the idea of my head being put in a brace and going down a tunnel, I know I'm going to feel claustrophobic. Gosh aren't I a moaner!
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 04:40 PM
    Brain scan? You need a MRI of your sacrum (lower back) for a suspected disk bulge, to me these are classic symptoms of a compressed or herniated disk within your back-your brain (I think) is not the issue.

When you get scanned you can ask to be sedated (sleepy, or asleep) this will help with claustraphobia

Jul 29, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Thank you so much Xrayman for your answer. My doctor said he was baffled and was booking me in for a brain scan, which shocked me, and I've been worrying about. Anyway I do feel better now after reading your answer, and think Ill ask for the back scan first, which hopefully might hold the answer. Phew, I do feel better, so thank you very much.:)
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 06:18 PM
    No worries.

Just a point, you stated that after sitting, the pain seems to dwindle-this points to postural issues with your back.
    I want you to look at this diagram and give it to your doctor-they can use this, you need to explain exactly where it is sore. The diagram is called a dermotome diagram, it points to specific nerves within your spine that (if antogonated) will cause tingling and pains.

Dermatomic area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He may have ordered the brain scan for a nuerological issue (becuase there seems to be no real reason(in your doctor's opinion) for your pain) I would investigate another doctor-even (I don't really think much of them-a chiropractor).

I have had back pain for quites some time, mine is the opposite to yours, sitting makes mine worsen.

Jul 29, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Thanks very much xrayman for your advice, I really appreciate it. After me spending hours on the computer seeing if I could possibly find out what was wrong with me, I think you've hit the nail on the head because after looking up compressed or herniated disc, the symptoms sound very similar to mine - and here was me beginning to think I was the only person in the world to feel these symptoms! You've really eased my mind xrayman and Ill sleep soundly tonight, mainly because now I don't think there's anything wrong with my brain! My mind was racing and I had myself in a wheelchair! Don't get me wrong, I know something isn't right, but now I don't feel quite as daunted as I did before I posted my question on here, so once again, thank you very much. I've made an appointment to see another doctor, and with me, I shall take all I have printed off the internet. Im sorry to hear that you have back pain too, and wish you well.
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 08:45 PM
    You're most welcome. Please, tell me if the doctor confirms my/your suspicions

Jul 29, 2007, 09:07 PM
    I certainly will, thank you. Xx:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A shot in the buttocks [ 2 Answers ]

My doctor perscribed a 400mg shot of testestorone, the shot was in my left buttock, and it hurts like hell two days later is this normal, and when can I expect to see results.

How to get thinner legs [ 7 Answers ]

I would like my legs (mostly my thighs) to be thinner and firmer. Does anyone know of an in-home exercise that I could do to achieve this? Sry if this question has already been asked, but it would be a lot of help to me if anyone answered. Thanks :)

Shaving legs [ 6 Answers ]

Why is it when ever I shave my legs, as soon as I get the goose bumps, the hair is back. I use lotion after and shave with gel. It really bothers me especially when summer is right around the corner. And, my 10 year old daughter want to shave, she gets remarks a lot about it, she has very...

Skin discoloration of the buttocks [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how I can make my buttocks lighter? I am a african american female that has a dark area around my buttocks and I wonder if there's any thing I can do about it.

Pain in legs [ 2 Answers ]

Over the past few days, I've been getting pain in my legs. Its extremely mild, and usually only lasts on-and-off for about 15 minutes. Sometimes its knee pain, but sometimes it's a different kind of pain (similar toa mildly sprained ankle) that runs from my groin to my knee. The pain's really...

View more questions Search