Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whateverroig Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Can a credit card company put a lien on your house
    My husband has a lot of credit card debt can a credit card company put a lien on the house
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 29, 2007, 04:38 PM
    Normally no, the laws and rules for this vary by your location, Canada, Mexico, Iraq, or the US. And in the US, the state you live in, has various rules.

In the US normally they don't, first they will have to go to court and get a judgement, once they have a judgement, they will normally garnish the wages, and attach all of the bank accounts. ** some states do not allow garnishments or have restrictions.

In the few cases where they do and can get a lien on the house all they get is a lien, they can not force the sell but just have to wait till the house is sold.
    tadon99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Normally no, the laws and rules for this vary by your location, Canada, Mexico, Iraq, or the US. And in the US, the state you live in, has various rules.

In the US normally they don't, first they will have to go to court and get a judgement, once they have a judgement, they will normally garnish the wages, and attach all of the bank accounts. ** some states do not allow garnishments or have restrictions.

In the few cases where they do and can get a lien on the house all they get is a lien, they can not force the sell but just have to wait till the house is sold.

What is about if the house still pay morgate evry month ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When can a credit card company place a lien on my property and what does that mean? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. To make a complicated story short, I refinanced my house last year to keep it because me and my ex were getting a divorce and to get his name off the deed. I just found out recently that the title company did not have us sign the right deed at the time and I needed it corrected. So I finally...

Can I put a Lien on a house to get my deposit back? [ 4 Answers ]

I had a fire in my home last year. My insurance paid for me to live in another house, while my was being repaired. I lived in the house, without a lease, for 8 months. When I moved out, I left the place in the same condition as when I moved in, which wasn't the best. The floors, and windows...

Property lien for credit card- [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My sister had a judgement against her for a fashio bug card. It went to court, she didn't show and they won by default. They placed a lien against her house. She lost her house in hurricane Ivan. Now she is getting letters wanting them to settle this. Is the lien still against her...

Selling before they put lien on house [ 4 Answers ]

My mother-in-law is in a bit of trouble and may have a lean on her house put into effect. She wants me to buy it from her before this happens... what kinds of issues should I be worried about?

Can credit card companies put a lien on my house? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I live in Broward county, Florida, I defaulted in three unsecured business loans and two unsecured business credit cards all are guaranteed personally by me, now that the business has failed and the S corporation is dissolved, can these creditors go after me and put a lien on my...

View more questions Search