Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wrbriggs Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Elbow leaking below kitchen sink
    I am not a very handy person, but have noticed a leak underneath my kitchen sink. I will try to describe what I see; I am hoping someone will be able to help me.

There is a garbage disposal going into a pipe, and there is also a smaller pipe hooked into this with the dishwasher drain connected to it via a hose clamp. The pipe then goes into a "U" shaped dip (the trap?), then back up slightly, and down into the floor.

The water is dripping from the bottom of the "U" shaped pipe, but I am unable to tell if there is actually a hole, or if the water is leaking out from somewhere else and dripping down the pipe. Nothing else feels or seems wet, and I don't see water leaking from anywhere - I also don't feel a hole or crack where the drip is coming from.

Is there any possible way I can fix this myself (I do know how to solder), or am I better off just hiring a plumber?

Thanks,
    Will
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jul 27, 2007, 02:53 PM
    What material is the pipe made of? If it's white plastic, it's PVC and that would be best for you...

Does the U-shaped section (yes, the trap) have any large nuts on it? IE, is there a part you can unscrew? If so, I suggest that taking those nuts off and removing the trap (good time to clean it out. Put a pan under there when you take it off to catch the water that's in it) and cleaning the threads and everything really nice and reassembling.

If your leak was at the compression fitting (the nut), which is common, this should take care of it.

You can probably pinpoint the leak by first drying everything off very well, then use a wad of toilet paper and touch the pipes etc starting from the top down. The first place it gets wet is your leak. Run water through the drain as you do this.

Jul 27, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scirocco70
    What material is the pipe made out of? If it's white plastic, it's PVC and that would be best for you...

Does the U-shaped section (yes, the trap) have any large nuts on it? IE, is there a part you can unscrew? If so, i suggest that taking those nuts off and removing the trap (good time to clean it out. Put a pan under there when you take it off to catch the water that's in it) and cleaning the threads and everything really nice and reassembling.

If your leak was at the compression fitting (the nut), which is common, this should take care of it.

You can probably pinpoint the leak by first drying everything off very well, then use a wad of toilet paper and touch the pipes etc starting from the top down. The first place it gets wet is your leak. Run water through the drain as you do this.
    Thank you for the quick reply! The pipes are metal - based on research I have done, I am guessing brass. In addition, everything appears to be soldered together rather than screwed together. I am thinking this may be too large a project for me, but I wanted to make sure there isn't any relatively straightforward way I can fix this before I call in a plumber.

Jul 27, 2007, 02:59 PM
    I would still do the toilet-paper test before you call someone, and also check/tighten the clamp where the dishwasher drains.

Metal pipes are most likely brass, yes.

Jul 27, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scirocco70
    I would still do the toilet-paper test before you call someone, and also check/tighten the clamp where the dishwasher drains.

Metal pipes are most likely brass, yes.
    Ok, so... toilet paper test shows that it is dripping directly from the bottom of the trap. The trap itself is most definitely soldered onto the pipes - there is a large nut connecting the pipe to the output from the garbage disposal, but after that, everything appears to be soldered, including the connection to the sewer drain. Without un-soldering the entire thing, there doesn't appear to be a good way to get this apart.

Jul 28, 2007, 12:25 AM
    Generally you don't un-solder... you cut it out and solder new pieces in, or use compression fittings.

There is probably a kit at your local Home Depot (or equiv) for exactly this.

Have a peek at a book, and I'll bet you can handle the job!
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Jul 29, 2007, 01:30 PM
    How old is this house? It could be lead pipes, which I have seen soldered together as mentioned.

Compression fittings don't do well with lead, as cutting them out usually causes deformation - even the slightest causes a real headache. I had to cut all of mine out... back to the cast iron and start over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry Sink Overflows when using kitchen sink [ 5 Answers ]

Our Laundry Sink Overflows when using the kitchen sink.. with really nasty stuff flowing back out. As a result, sometimes when we're doing the laundry the water drains out very slowly, and we can never do the dishes and laundry at the same time. I'm worried that this may eventually become a...

Kitchen sink sprayer leaking from under sink [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen sink sprayer is leaking from underneath my sink. We just replaced the spray head part. Could it be the hose or what else could it be? Thank you!

Repair leaking PVC elbow in a wall. [ 4 Answers ]

I have discovered a leaking PVC elbow between an upstairs tub and the drain to the downstairs. It is in a very difficult to get to area. Since I can't get to it to cut it out and glue another will a silicone sealant possibly stop the leak? Or is there some other kind of sealant that might work...

Kitchen faucet leaking [ 4 Answers ]

Why does my kitchen faucet leak when I am running the bathtub or washing machine {both in other areas of the house}? How do I fix it? Could it just be that the seal in the faucet is worn? If so, do I need to replace the faucet or is there a way to just replace the seal? I have a single handle...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

View more questions Search