Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dthodge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 07:09 PM
    How to teach your child to talk
    My 2 1/2 year old refuses to speak English! She doesn't have any medical or speech problems that the Doctor's can detect. I have tried not giving her what she wants when I know what it is and I have lasted up to 2 hours. She is the baby of the family and spends a lot of time being babied by grandma when I work, but I have to get better communication established with her. Cave people grunts are not working for me at all! Please Help!
    Terra
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Read to her and read to her often. She may not speak right away, but believe me she is retaining those words. She'll be able to say what she wants if it comes down to it. I suggest saying "mommy doesnt understand those noises, use your words" also my son LOVES flash cards. Make some common ones like fruits, animals, etc. and put a picture on it. Say the word as you show the pic. You can buy these at most stores.
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Jul 12, 2007, 07:34 PM
    This is a very common concern of parents. My sister didn't talk until she was four. Then she just started talking like a normal four year old one day. She never stopped, unfortunately. :D

I know it can be frustrating, but if your little one understands everything you say, then I wouldn't worry about it. If there is no speech problem, as indicated by your doctor, then you will wake up one day and your child will be talking.

I second the reading advice. Reading to children is the best thing you can do to encourage speech. Interactive reading (i.e. asking your child to describe the pictures) will go a long way in encouraging a reluctant child to speak.

Good luck.
    Mom_of_4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2007, 08:32 PM
    My son said only 3 words (baba, mama & birdie!) until he was around 2-and-a-half. Then one day, out of the blue... "Mama... MAMA!. I want to go for a ride in the car... come on let's go! Clear as a bell... so try not to worry... your little one is taking it all in and saving it up for one day when you least expect it.

However, you may want to consider a both a hearing exam AND speech therapy evaluation if she doesn't start verbalizing in the next 3-6 months.
    proudmommyoftwingirls Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dthodge
    My 2 1/2 year old refuses to speak English! She doesn't have any medical or speech problems that the Doctor's can detect. I have tried not giving her what she wants when I know what it is and I have lasted up to 2 hours. She is the baby of the family and spends a lot of time being babied by grandma when I work, but I have to get better communication established with her. Cave people grunts are not working for me at all!! Please Help!!
    Terra
    Hi I have twins born 3 months early who are now two years old and talk in 3 and 4 word sentence I have found that using baby signs has helped him to talk and using pictures and not letting people talk baby talk my girls loved the baby signs and when they use the signs they talk so much clearer I would try the signs it really helped us.
    Good luck
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Jul 26, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Teaching a child baby sign language has been know to encourage children to become verbal believe it or not. Here is a great web site where you can learn the basics and teach her: http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi Mine didn't like to talk either (baby of 5), she would only say a few words but it did in fact help her to verbalize her words. Just make sure when you are showing her or signing to her that you say the word aloud at the same time. See if it helps at all, maybe at the least she may pick up some signs and then you can communicate better with her. Remember kids learn at their own pace as well. Many don't talk until 4 and 5 even! What ever you do, don't pressure her, pressure will only delay her advancement. You've checked her physically and she is fine so let her go at her own pace and of course encourage her to verbalize. I wouldn't withhold something though for more than just a few minutes during her refusal to attempt to verbalize, that will only cause the pressure. Good luck!
    WhosYourDaddy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 08:57 PM
    I am concerned about mine also. He is 21 months old and babbles and can only say the basics like "up", "stop", "star". When it seems he has a word covered he seems to forget it and doesn't recall it weeks later.

It certainly doesn't help when people's kids around you, of the same age, can speak fluent sentences.

When is a good time to seek medical advice.
    Hodgiesgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 01:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dthodge View Post
    My 2 1/2 year old refuses to speak English! She doesn't have any medical or speech problems that the Doctor's can detect. I have tried not giving her what she wants when I know what it is and I have lasted up to 2 hours. She is the baby of the family and spends a lot of time being babied by grandma when I work, but I have to get better communication established with her. Cave people grunts are not working for me at all!! Please Help!!
    Terra
    That is so crazy; I thought I was the only one who had a 2 1/2 year old that just mumbles. He says a few words clearly like mom, dad, bye... just simple little words, but only a few. When he wants something I will tell him what it is and kind of wait for a response or for him to copy what I say but all he says to me is "ya". I even have people come over to help him from ESU. He just wants to ignore everything until he gets what he wants. When he tries to explain something he just makes weird sounds and mumbles and grunts. I wish I knew how to work with him. So anyway I can completely see where you come from and I totally agree.
    brownraven Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 2, 2009, 06:03 AM
    Thank you! I almost cried when I read your answers. I am not alone. My son is 27 months and he says maybe about 20 words... he cries to get what he wants or babbles. He is very determined he tries to make his older siblings do what he wants without talking, but I am working with him.
    bratts1988 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 06:45 AM
    OK first thing has hard as it may be do not baby talk to her. When you talk to her repeat yourself again so she catches on, read to her, play toddler songs, or sit down for a few minutes a day and go over words with her that she might know and have her say and repeat them after you.I swar it works my daughter was talking at 1YEAR no one could even believe it! One other thing if she is shy it normal that she is taking a little longer. Don't worry she will catch on... good luck:)
    euri Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 08:28 PM

My son is about 1 & 10 months old and he don't say anything.he is giving only a sign even though he is bubbling.im worried about it. But my husband told me not to worry that sooner or later he will be talk. Well let me see.
    dolores596 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 06:20 AM

It might be nothing but maybe your child has delayed development... try get that checked out.
    When you are talking to your child try keep eye contact, go down to his level, try one word at a time and repeat it. Also do nursery rhymes with him on your lap facing you so he can see your facial expressions and how you look while saying the words do it once say again and do it a third time after the third time clap and say yey or giv him a hug. Don't use baby talk it doesn't work.
    Another tip is to try flash cards you can make them yourself or get some in a shop. And lastly, talk him through your day, point out things in your house and say the word... when your doing tasks like cooking talk him through them
    I hoped this helped.

And can I say the person who has answer no 10 you really should be ashamed of yourself!
    wmu_mom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 09:34 AM
    This is a story I truly believe God gave me. My kids were older when I realized this truth, but you will see it fits here too. My 2 kids were at the opposite ends of the learning spectrum. One could see a word and know it for the rest of his life with no effort. My daughter made it just as far as he did, but she worked 10X's harder at it. My little story... We were living in Valdosta, Georgia, the Azalea City. Magnolias are in abundance too. Azaleas bloom in early spring & magnolias bloom later in the year. There is nothing you can do to make an azalea wait until the magnolias bloom to bloom. Likewise there is nothing you can do to make a magnolia bloom early when the azaleas bloom. Written in their DNA is their pattern & you can't change it. When I brought my daughter home in the 3rd grade to home school, she coundn't read. She's 28 today & she is an avid reader. She was my magnolia & she has at least one magnolia who is 2 1/2 & is speech delayed. The 2 flowers are both beautiful, but they are very different. If you're sure there is nothing medically wrong, then be patient. Let them bloom when they're ready. They will:-)
    Bella_2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 05:54 PM
    Oh I am so glad I stumbled upon this I am in the same situation my son just turned 2 yesturday and he isn't talking yet either. My daughter was speaking in full sentences by this age and I was scared to death he had a learning disorder. He can say small words and has said a few sentences but the sentences he will say once or twice and then that's the end of it. Most of his comunication is babbling and head nods . My family says give it time he will speak when he is ready, Im glad I am not the only one dealing with this problem and I will take some of the suggestions made here. Thank you so much
    2ndTime Posts: 191, Reputation: 12

Nov 11, 2009, 09:54 PM

My son is 17 now speaks perfectly, but he used to worry me when he was about 2 years old and didn't speak much. As an experienced mom, this is nothing to be concerned about. Every child grows differently. Don't let any book or guidelines of other people get to you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 25, 2009, 09:20 PM
    2 year old thread CLOSED

People please look at the dates of the OP prior to answering.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to teach a stubborn child? [ 8 Answers ]

Good everning!everyone My husband has a 9 years old girl. She live with us every odd number week. She is a very stubborn girl--never listen to any body( besides her mother). My daughter is 3 years old. I'm so worry about she just learns all bad habits from her sister. In fact, she is...

We teach others how to treat us [ 7 Answers ]

Do you think this is true "that we teach others how to treat us". I am wondering if anyone has any experience in this subject?

How can I teach him to communicate? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been in a relationship for just under 2 years. I really love this guy and have thoroughly enjoyed being with him... however, a problem that comes up periodically is that he seems to lack the ability to communicate about tough topics. We can chat and laugh about the normal things all day...

How to teach an ESL classroom? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been teaching English As a Second Language ESL now in different countries but the systems and rules tend to differ from each other.In China students wants you to sing and dance in class,in Japan they just like discussions while in Korea it was a totally different impression;they prefare...

Should I teach? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if you could advise me concerning my current education situation. I'm a sophomore tunring into a junior at Rowan University and I was pursuing a major in English and certification to be a teacher. I wanted to be a high school or middle school English/Literature teacher, but I...

View more questions Search