Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    denisez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Asking someone to move out of apartment not on lease
    My friend's boyfriend is asking her to move out of the apartment by the end of the day. Giving her less than one day's notice. She is not on the lease but pays half the rent (Cash). This is in Pennsylvania. People are telling me that they have to give her 30 days notice is this true. She has not where to go and would be on the street.
    christy9800 Posts: 59, Reputation: 7

Jul 25, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by denisez
    My friend's boyfriend is asking her to move out of the apartment by the end of the day. Giving her less than one day's notice. She is not on the lease but pays half the rent (Cash). This is in Pennsylvania. People are telling me that they have to give her 30 days notice is this true. She has not where to go and would be on the street.
    Well, I don't know the laws in Pennsylvania. I'm in Indiana. But over here, if she's not on the lease, than he CAN make her move out whenever he wants unfortunately. Good luck to your friend!
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 12:02 PM
    The right thing to do would be to give her some notice but he is not obligated to give her 30 days.

However, if she was on the lease there would have to be 30 days notice of her evacuating the apartment. Unfortunately, it is not her legal residence it is her boyfriends and he has a right to ask her to leave. It's a terrible situation, my heart goes out to your friend that guy sounds like a real scumbag.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2007, 12:09 PM
    The previous answers are not entirely correct. As long as she can establish residency she is considered a tenant on a month to month basis. This means that she has to be given reasonable notice to vacate. Generally reasonable notice is one full rental period.

Tell her to tell him that he has no right to kick her out without reasonable notice. If he doesn't want here there anymore she will be happy to move as soon as she can find someplace else. And that she will be out by the end of August.
    denisez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 12:39 PM
    She is listed as a resident on the lease. After reading the responses and contacting the landlord she has to be given 30 days written notice. She is willing to leave but needs time to find a new place. Thanks for your response
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2007, 12:42 PM
    If she was lsited on the lease then the BF hasn't a leg to stand on. But I'm glad my response helped her get the time she needs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Apartment lease [ 1 Answers ]

I have lived at my residence in which I share an apartment, My roommate has been on a lease here for over 25years. I moved in around seven years ago. For reasons not important she wants me to leave... I said I was put on the lease or had a supplemental lease in my name... She said I don't... How...

Apartment lease [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: Two years ago, I vacated an apartment in raleigh NC before the lease was up. The landlord rerented the apartment and wants two months of rent that I owe. I have no problem paying the rent due and I will. However, the landlord is asking me to pay for "utilities (200), trash removal (500)...

Apartment lease [ 2 Answers ]

I just made a full months deposit and signed a year lease for an apartment. I have not moved into the apartment yet. I am having second thoughts. Can I get my deposit back and void the lease? I signed the lease, yet it doesn't begin for a few more days! The date of lease says 4-30-07,...

Apartment Lease [ 2 Answers ]

I lived in a house that was mold infested and I got sick behind it. So Me and My family had to move quickly to an apartment that was small. I have 2 boys and 1 girl. The apartment is 2 bedroom my daughter has to sleep in the room with me and my husband. I have found another apartment that is...

Apartment Lease [ 1 Answers ]

I entered 12 month apartment lease in the Dallas area. After one day, I reconciled with my wife and need to cancel my lease. What are MY legal options. The complex wants approximately $2700 to be free and clear. But before I do that, I would like another opinion. Please help.

View more questions Search