Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boos_mom_43 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Termination of Parents rights and child support
    My son's father has not had anything to do with him since he was born and he isn't paying any child support and he has never seen him or called me to ask about him or anything. He knows nothing about my son at all... and I was wondering if I were to get him for child support would he get visitation to my son or would his rights technically be terminated by now since he has had nothing to do with either of us since I told him that I was pregnant with his child.
    hellawes2005 Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Jul 17, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Most likely, if he pays child support he'll get visitation. Whether he chooses to see the child will be up to him. I think the only way to terminate his parental rights would be if he signs them away.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Jul 17, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Child support does not necessarily give the father rights to the child. However, being the father generally does. If he wanted to go through the courts to get visitaiton he could try to, even though he has not been paying. His rights won't be automatically terminated because he has never been there. I woul day file for child support, he should be paing for his child, regardless of whether he wants to see him or not. If he then decides he wants visitation, get a good lawyer and make sure it is under strict controls.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 17, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Unless, you can show he would be a danger to the child, then he would probably get visitation if he wanted to.

While he may have in practice dropped his rights, he has not formerly relinquished them. This is something HE would have to do voluntarily. However, this should NOT stop you from pursuing child spport. You should have done so from the beginning. If you need to seek social services help, they will require it. So start the process now and don't worry about the visitation issue.
    Topmodel Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 06:07 AM
    He may still get visitation but the state is going to MAKE HIM PAY FOR ALL THE YEARS HE Didn't DO ANYTHING FOR YOU ALLS CHILD. He has no receipts of anything, no nothing. The court adds up all the years and takes it out of his check. They won't give a crap if its his entire check because they're looking at it like " that money will come out of our taxes if he doesnt pay up". My aunt is a dhs worker so I know. These sorry men walking around like they have no responcibilities, I garauntee you about time the state finish garnishing his wages he will be he wasn't a man
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 22, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Topmodel
    They wont give a crap if its his entire check
    I beg to differ. The man still needs money to live on. They will take a certain percentage out of his check yes, if that is how that state sets it up. However, they will not take the ENTIRE check.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2007, 06:58 AM
    YOu should have a child custody, visitation and child support order in force, if you have ever been to court over this.

Unless you have went to court, his rights to that visittion order are just as valid today as it was the day it was issued. You can go and get it modified, as for major changes, but unless you do, it is valid.

And that child support order if you had one, is still valid, and not collected since he refused to pay and you have not did any action to force it to happen. In many states like Tennessee, if he gets behind, he goes to jail, happens every day here in our county. And in others they loose their drivers license and more.
    Topmodel Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Of coarse he still needs money to live on. I difinitely agree, but I know for a fact they are going to wipe his checks clean. Especially if he never done anything for his child. If he doesn't have a job, He is going straight to jail. That the law. Ask any man who pays child support and he will tell you how much they take out his checks. Its messed up they take so much but that's the state for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Give up rights to a child--still pay child support? [ 11 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Parents not wanting to support or take care of child [ 1 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend, the father of my three year old, does not support my child or want to watch him at anytime for me even when my son asks him too. He still lives with his mom and his mom takes care of him when he is over there, not his father, he does other things instead. My son says he mostly...

Termination of parental rights and child support [ 3 Answers ]

The father of my grandson wants to terminate his parental rights and thinks that by doing that, he will not have to pay child support. We have been working through the Texas Attorney General's office for 2 years, and he was finally ordered to take a paternity test, today. If he is the father and...

View more questions Search